Joined 5136 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 201 of 360
24 October 2013 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Cristina and Expugnator!

--------

I haven’t updated my log in a fortnight. Maybe because I haven’t done much worth reporting here lately.

And the result is that these days I’m rather frustrated with language learning in general. It’s not burnout: it would be easier if it were, at least I would know what to do in that case: Stop for a while.

It’s just that this autumn I seem incapable of studying: I know it’s all down to managing my time better, but right now I feel quite helpless, facing down countless glitches and unforeseen little accidents that keep derailing my best efforts.

I still do engage with at least one of my languages every day, but the kind of unchallenging activities I do while commuting or during some such breathing spells don’t give me any sense of achievement and that’s driving me up the wall.

I’m looking forward to the upcoming November 6wc hoping that it will give me the push I need to find my pace again.

All this turmoil also means that I’ve been rather absent from this forum. I’d like to apologize especially to my TAC teammates if I haven’t been very present: I’m still catching up with several threads. By the way: @Cristina, I’ve just read your post on this thread and I’d like to thank you for your kind words.
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4504 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 202 of 360
24 October 2013 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
We miss you Emme! Get back on track as soon as you can =)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 203 of 360
24 October 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Hej Emme!

It's good to hear from you. Let's fund a club of autumn haters. I've been ill for the
last two weeks (and I'm still not healthy). So, we could make a good base to a larger
movement. Our goal: everlasting summer!

(And truth be told, now I hope you are a weather spoiled Italian complaining about an
autumn like our summers. Italy is one of the countries where I'd love to live one day.
And the climate is a very important factor. :-D )

No worries about a little break or slow down in your studies. You have been doing great
so far and you will surely continue as soon as you can. :-)

Btw which language are you going to pursuit in the 6wc? Isn't your Swedish too
advanced? So perhaps French? :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5136 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 204 of 360
29 October 2013 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
@fabriciocarraro
Thanks! I’ll do my best!

@Cavesa
Actually, it’s not really the weather that bothers me (even though rainy days are a drag), but the diminishing sunlight we get in autumn. I could probably be diagnosed with some form of SAD (seasonal affective disorder), but I’ve never pursued the topic.

I hope you’ve now fully recovered: if not I hope you can find solace in knowing that you’re not alone. Just yesterday the news reported that here in Italy there are thousands of people dealing with parainfluenza right now.

As for the 6wc: I’m going with Swedish.

As I wrote in a previous post I think this is my last chance to focus on Swedish during the 6wc. In February I think/hope my level will be high enough to disallow me from choosing Swedish as my TL. I know this is all very subjective, but I think Sprachprofi left the rules intentionally rather vague.

Sprachprofi wrote:
[...]
Note that you can only do the 6 Week Challenge with a language that you're a beginner or lower-intermediate at most. […]

I know everyone has different opinions about levels of proficiency (as proven by the countless threads here on HTLAL about levels and what constitutes fluency), but personally I don’t consider myself intermediate yet in Swedish but elementary/pre-intermediate at most.

Sprachprofi opted not to use CEFR levels but rather the more traditional terminology that divides levels from beginner to advance and that makes me judge myself on that kind of scale. To do so I usually have a look at the textbooks in a good series of English* teaching manuals (something from Oxford UP or Longman, for instance) where there are 5 or 6 or even more books in the series – usually with names like Starter/Beginner, Elementary, Pre-Intermediate, Intermediate, Upper-Intermediate, Advanced – and I check where I’m at in terms of vocabulary and skills required by each textbook: could I do in Swedish what is demanded/expected? Do I know the same range of vocabulary in Swedish? Can I use the equivalents structures and linguistic devices in Swedish?

If beginner’s textbooks are clearly too easy and elementary ones are probably alright, an honest appraisal with that method doesn’t put me higher than pre-intermediate. And I’m sure that a few aspects here and there of pre-intermediate materials are still beyond my grasp. But I’m working on reaching the Intermediate stage as soon as possible, hopefully by the end of this year.

So, Cavesa, I’ll keep you company with Swedish in this November 6wc. I hope doing the 6wc together will help us both reach new levels of productivity: I really need some morale boost. I haven’t registered yet, because I hate logging in on Twitter and I’ll probably wait until Friday when I start to write my first updates. If no one else comes onboard, there may be just three of us focusing on Swedish. Let’s hope we can have fun!

*I use English textbooks because they are much more easily available at any bookshop or library if you just want to thumb through them for a quick assessment.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 205 of 360
29 October 2013 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Hurray! There is a Swedish 6wc team!

(And there is one more Swedish learner. And three signed up for Norwegian, one Finnish.
Winter is coming!)

I only wish we could just use the Swedish textbooks as a scale to compare our skills to
:-D The offer is far too limited, unfortunately.

By the way, where do you buy your Swedish resources?

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6492 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 206 of 360
29 October 2013 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
Actually, it’s not really the weather that bothers me (even though rainy days are a drag), but the diminishing sunlight we get in autumn. I could probably be diagnosed with some form of SAD (seasonal affective disorder), but I’ve never pursued the topic.

You just need a seriously bright lamp, then your SAD will evaporate

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 207 of 360
30 October 2013 at 9:06am | IP Logged 
Iversen, how do you get seriously bright lamps now that the EU banned the normal
lightbulbs? Despite the "ecological" (mercury inside) alternatives being advertised to
be just as bright or even brighter, I somehow find them lacking. In brightness but as
well the shade of the light is different (too white and artificial usually). It is very
hard to find a good one, these days. If you have any tips, I would welcome them as I
find this issue quite important.

My aunt has got a different method to deal with this. Solarium. Not too often as the
goal is not getting tanned and it is still not too healthy for your skin. But you get a
good dose of the vitamin D (which is one of the major factors behind these problems,
ranging from worse moods and tiredness up to serious depressions and suicidal
attempts). Or you can try to get vitamine D in your pharmacy. It will be less natural
to your body but may still work more than well. (Now that I think of it, I should visit
a pharmacy too :-) )

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4617 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 208 of 360
30 October 2013 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
I would have thought if you bought a specific light to combat SAD, they might be exempt
(on health grounds) from the EU regulations (but I'm not sure about that). They tend not
to be cheap though.

One can get (supposedly) "full spectrum" versions of fluorescent bulbs, but I don't know
how well they deal with SAD.

This discussion contains 360 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version