Triglot
Italy
Joined 5132 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 113 of 360
05 February 2013 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
I’ve started with the 6wc and I must admit that so far it’s been terrific for my Russian, but I’m not so sure it’s been terrific for my health!

We’re only on day 5 and I’m already sleep-deprived. Almost every day I’ve found myself at 1 or 2am wondering whether I should go to bed or keep going for one more lesson and I’ve actually always chosen to keep studying: which may be great for improving my language skills but it’s certainly not helping with my stress level.

Moreover, all the energy and effort is going into Russian right now, as that’s my target language for this 6wc, which means that I haven’t had the time to study any of my other languages. All I’ve been able to do is watch a programme a day on SVTPlay just to keep my Swedish from deteriorating fast.

Let’s see if in the next few days I can switch to a more balanced approach to language studying.

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4306 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 114 of 360
05 February 2013 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
Your stats don't look that imbalanced, 25% for Swedish seems OK. I have 0% for Norwegian at the moment :/

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5132 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 115 of 360
05 February 2013 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
Your stats don't look that imbalanced [...]

Yes, but apart from Russian, all other languages contribute only for extensive activities like reading or watching TV: not exactly what I normally consider studying!

But honestly I get rather tired with the hours I spend on Russian, so that it’s hard for me to imagine that in the middle of the night I might open my German or Swedish textbook and do half an hour of intensive study.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 116 of 360
05 February 2013 at 10:17pm | IP Logged 
Do not worry. Focus on how good it is for your Russian. You can always catch up later. But I agree that it is
not necessarily healthy to study like this. I had three days of terrific studying and two days of migraine, so it
might be an idea to slow down just a little bit if you see that it is too much. But isn't it fun to see how much you
can get done when you really focus?

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4794 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 117 of 360
05 February 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
I was about to ask both of you for the secret of so many hours in just a few days :-D And it's an old and well
known one. Not healthy and not good for learning in the longterm.

Other than that, awesome posts, Emme, as always. I admire how far you got following the assimil rules, you
are great. I'm sure your Russian will go more than well.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5132 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 118 of 360
06 February 2013 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
[...] But isn't it fun to see how much you can get done when you really focus?

Absolutely, and it’s also kind of addictive to watch your numbers grow in the 6wc stats.

@Cavesa

Thanks so much for your extra kind words!

When I post I’m always doubting whether I can say something of any interest to others and not just for me, so that’s very reassuring to get such amazing feedback!

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4500 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 119 of 360
06 February 2013 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
You're doing such a great job, Emme. Be proud, you deserve it =)

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5132 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 120 of 360
08 February 2013 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
Спасибо fabriciocarraro; ты очень любезный! (I hope I got that right!)

---

Today I’ve reached a tiny milestone: it’s 100 days since I’ve started learning Russian.

I know that I’ve only just begun to scratch the surface of that immensity that is Russian and therefore it’s a little silly to celebrate my 100th day, especially when I compare the little I’ve done so far with the years of work that many dedicated learners on this forum have already devoted to this language, but for me it’s a little triumph and I want to share it with you, fellow learners, especially my MIR team mates.

What’s weirdest (and somehow I still can’t wrap my head around how that happened) is that until just a few months ago I’d never imagined that I’d be studying this amazing language. I had always thought that the first exotic language (i.e. not the usual English, French, German, Spanish etc.) I would try to learn would be Chinese or Japanese. Life always has a way to surprise us!

This discussion contains 360 messages over 45 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version