Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How many words you learn per year (avg)

Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: Words you learn per year on average (over 5 last years)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [35.29%]
8 [23.53%]
7 [20.59%]
4 [11.76%]
3 [8.82%]
You can not vote in this poll

229 messages over 29 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 ... 28 29 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 153 of 229
13 May 2015 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Let me give an example of what I mean learning to write e-mails well
in the target language. Just today I got the
following e-mail from a friend in a Spanish conversation class. The author is a native
speaker of French.

Hi Serge,
How are you? Sorry for my delay but in this moment the time spend too fast!! Anyway,
are you be available
Thursday at 13 am or an other day. Tell me when you can. I'm looking forward to seeing
you, the Spanish
conversations miss me

See you soon
Have a good evening

That's what my e-mails used to look like in Spanish. What's wrong with this e-mail
that a little jiggling of the
vocabulary can't fix? Is it lack of vocabulary? I'll leave the answers to the readers.

The main thing for me is that I don't want my e-mails in Spanish to look like this.
I'm sure some people here find
this kind of writing cute and wouldn't hesitate to send it off. I am not one of these
people.

If my English was bad, I'd rather send this to communicate, than send nothing at all.
It's an issue of having to communicate at all, not a question of wanting to
communicate properly. No one wants to sound silly. They simply do and try their best
not to.
4 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5048 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 154 of 229
13 May 2015 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I am a diligent and regular language student, and I don't think I learn more than 1500 word families per year between my languages.

Slacker! :D

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 155 of 229
13 May 2015 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Why I mention it: No, it is not to brag, there is no reason for that. In light of this experience, I have no trouble believing any normally diligent learner properly and trully learns a few thousand words per language per year.

Yeah, I agree with Jeffers that it's overkill (for me the "per language" part is). I think I once learned about 3000 Finnish words in a year, and I've reached the same figure with Finnish+English too, but before I started learning many languages I wasn't using my potential fully (and I think that's a major reason why I generally recommend people to try simultaneoud learning).

I do wonder whether Cavesa is referring to "mainstream" languages here. Sanskrit or Ancient Greek words probably take more effort than Spanish.

smallwhite
Pentaglot
Australia
Joined 5120 days ago

537 posts - 1045 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, French, Spanish

Message 156 of 229
13 May 2015 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I think a newcomer who looks at this poll will both see what is possible with a lot of hard work (e.g. 8k+) and what is "normal" (e.g. somewhere up to 3k).

We've seen how word estimates can be off by 3.9 times. As an accountant, I can't help but stress that the poll is flawed and does not really show what it seems to show. But a lot of our polls are like that, so not that it really bothers me :D

I feel that many posters give advice along the lines of "go slow" and "take it easy", and none say "work harder". Newbies are seen as very fragile. It's probably a culture thing, in my culture we push students. And my favourite quote is:
He didn't know it was impossible, so he went ahead and did it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Improbably
Diglot
Norway
Joined 4748 days ago

34 posts - 87 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English

Message 157 of 229
13 May 2015 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
smallwhite wrote:
I feel that many posters give advice along the lines of "go slow" and "take it easy", and none say "work harder". Newbies are seen as very fragile. It's probably a culture thing, in my culture we push students. And my favourite quote is:
He didn't know it was impossible, so he went ahead and did it.

This reminds me of a very interesting blog post written by a Korean who did some really intensive learning of English, using a vast amount of rote learning, and doing 30,000 words in 2.5 years:

Link to blog post.

While I don't quite agree with the use of rote learning (I'm a heavy user of mnemonics in my vocabulary learning), I have no doubt that many of us could use a little more, for lack of a better term, self-discipline, in many areas of life. (This is something I'm working actively on developing in myself, though it's a hard slog.) Not everyone is able to enjoy every moment of their language learning. Some people have more utilitarian reasons for learning a language.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 158 of 229
13 May 2015 at 12:39pm | IP Logged 
Newbies are not seen as fragile, but as prone to burnout. The whole world is already telling them that they simply need to work hard enough and they'll achieve everything they want. (or the opposite, that you can't learn a language without going abroad etc) In this discussion, everyone but s_allard takes it for granted that words are not everything you need. But to a newbie that's not common knowledge.

This makes me think of a language learning book or article, possibly the one by Spivak. As a child, the (Russian) author used to think that all you need to learn English is to learn the alphabet. Soon enough he found out that the words are also different, and he thought you just need to learn all the words. Then breaking news came, the grammar is also different. Of course he then found out that even if you know the needed words and grammar, you can't translate literally. That learning a new language is learning a new way of thinking. And especially with monolingual English speakers, we can't know which of these stages they're at, so we make sure to point out the very basics.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4721 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 159 of 229
13 May 2015 at 1:36pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your response Serpent. Most people begin language learning thinking it is possible, but thinking it will be quick and easy if they just put in enough effort. What we often see on HTLAL are newcomers who say, "I'm going to get to B2 in 3 months" or whatever. I usually follow these threads out of interest, and if have yet to see a single one of these threads end in success. Normally the poster just stops posting after a few weeks. Possibly they succeeded in their goal, and just didn't post about it, but I think that's unlikely. What we don't get on HTLAL are people saying, "I want to learn to B2 and I don't want to work hard." Those cases are handled by language publishers. :p

The point isn't that learning a language is impossible, the point is that it takes time and effort. I'm pretty sure it's possible to learn a language to B2 in 3 months, but I've yet to meet a person in real life who has done it (although I'm quite sure several of the hard core HTLALers have probably done similar feats).

The other point is that for most of us learning a language is a fun hobby. For most of us, then, if it stops being fun it stops being a hobby. Effort doesn't stop it being fun, but when the effort becomes drudgery then most of us are ready to quit.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4519 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 160 of 229
13 May 2015 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
I managed B2 Swedish in about 4 months. That's the closest I've gotten (reading Swedish
at a stage where I could freely enjoy novels after a few months).

This discussion contains 229 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version