learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 233 of 479
27 January 2013 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
I switched to Anki 2 late this past week. There are some things I do like better about it, but there are also several annoyances compared to Anki 1.2. Making the jump also caused a notable increase in my reviews for a day or two afterward since Anki 2 won't let you disable the per-day scheduling like 1.2 would let you do. I still think per-day scheduling is pointless and it is annoying because it only works for two specific study styles (i.e. those that review once per day and review everything or those that review a set amount at a time but not always everything that is waiting for them). If you preferred to study multiple times per day *and* catch up all waiting cards at those times, this mode is useless to you and is now mandatory. In my opinion this is short-sighted and there is no valid reason for removing functions like this that had made Anki more flexible to use for various study styles. It is interesting how most of the complaints about Anki 2 on their forums are about features that were removed not because of technical reasons or because of user feedback, but because "the creators don't use Anki that way so apparently they don't think anyone else should either". On a positive note, I was leery about the new "learning cycles" in Anki 2 but after using them, I've found that I rather like that feature.

The learning mode in Anki 2 is very customizable, you can even set it up to behave exactly like it did in Anki 1. It's a great addition. As for the per-day scheduling, I think the official reason was that the Anki SRS algorithm isn't accurate enough to predict the due time down to the hour and minute. Maybe you can find an add-on for it if you really want it. I am fine with the current settings, I like to know in the morning how many cards I have to review that day. What I miss is the message about the number of cards to review the next day.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 234 of 479
04 February 2013 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 1월 27일 - 2013년 2월 2일):

Extensive Reading:
와라! 편의점 (7 pages)
A few visits to Twitter

---

This is the first week in quite a while that I haven't done any real focused listening practice. Rather than figure out something to listen to after finishing my latest pass of 이야기 podcasts, I just listened to music during the entirety of my commute this past week.

I'm still finding 와라! 편의점 very easy to read and it is fairly entertaining, so reading one of those per day has been quite easy to accomplish.

Edited by Warp3 on 04 February 2013 at 12:09am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 235 of 479
10 February 2013 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 2월 3일 - 2013년 2월 9일):

New Hanja Cards: 5

New Korean Cards: 7

Extensive Reading: 와라! 편의점 (4 pages)

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 41 through 45 (1 pass of each)

---

I finally added some cards again. I have a rather large queue of screenshots (49) built up, but have not really had the time and/or motivation to add the words from them yet.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 236 of 479
17 February 2013 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 2월 10일 - 2013년 2월 16일):

New Korean Cards: 9

Extensive Reading: 와라! 편의점 (6 pages)

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 46 through 50 (1 pass of each)

Edited by Warp3 on 17 February 2013 at 9:34pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 237 of 479
24 February 2013 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 2월 17일 - 2013년 2월 23일):

Extensive Reading: 와라! 편의점 (6 pages)

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 41 through 50 (1 pass of each)

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4635 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 238 of 479
25 February 2013 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
What is TTMIK like? It seems that you get a lot out of it.

I'm thinking of taking up Korean or Chinese when I get up to an advanced level in Japanese. Right now I'm "scouting" potential materials and resources.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6340 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 239 of 479
25 February 2013 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
I hope you won't mind if I answer about TTMIK. The short answer is that it is so great that it was one of the reasons I decided to study Korean. It's been almost a year now and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone starting out with Korean, provided you use another resource like a textbook as well.

TTMIK is organized basically like a blog but it's not a blog. Each post contains some kind of information about Korean, usually it's either in audio or video format. Most of their posts are for the beginner level but there are also some series for intermediate and advanced learners. Altogether there are more than 700 posts/videos/lessons available.

The most useful series for beginners are the grammar lessons. They are published as podcasts with accompanying notes in PDF format. Both hosts are native Korean speakers and they explain the grammar points really well. The style of the lessons is very informal and engaging, there are lots of jokes and background information about various things. To be honest, when I was listening to a lesson for the third time I often wished there was less chatting because I wasn't learning anything new during that time.

Then there is the Iyagi series for intermediate learners, that's what Warp3 is listening to these days. They are podcasts as well but all in Korean, there's no English in them. It's natural, if a bit slowed down and simplified Korean, and they provide complete transcripts for these podcasts as well. They also provide English translations but they are not free.

I've been using TTMIK since I started studying Korean so my log contains a lot more details about them, in case you're interested.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5323 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 240 of 479
25 February 2013 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Evita covered it better than I could. I only really started using TTMIK after I was a good ways into the language, so I've not really used it from a beginner's perspective. Most of my early studies were with Pimsleur followed by Let's Speak Korean (a series of 10-minute episodes from Arirang TV). Personally, I think LSK + TTMIK would be a pretty powerful combination since each seems to fill in the gaps that the other leaves behind. Plus you often get two different perspectives on the languge since TTMIK is taught by Korean native speakers and LSK is taught by English native speakers.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version