Triglot
Germany
Joined 4654 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 369 of 479
25 June 2014 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Asian languages are just too compelling for me nowadays to really have that desire you write about for
any other languages these days. Around the time I finished high school/started uni I really wanted to learn
Portuguese and theh French, but I discovered something of a dislike for romance languages - or, to be
more precise, romance verbs. Maybe they reminded me of the years of latin grammar horrors at school,
maybe it pissed me off that I could kind of understand a lot by comparison to English verbs, but then I was
never really able to turn off that comparison. Or maybe it's just a matterof personal preference, not
connected to much else, that makes me like Korean grammar and word formation more to the point that I
sort of consider it as a more elegant solution. There's also the possibility that I simply like "exotic" and
difficult languages more. For me I guess language learning as a hobby totally resonates, but depending
onthe language I was trying to study I may not even have ended up in this community of fanatic
enthusiasts ;) Even if I like language learning as a concept, this doesn't necessarily extend to all
languages, and maybeeven only to a select few.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 370 of 479
25 June 2014 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
True, most Asian languages do seem more "exotic" than their Western counterparts
(partly due to using a different writing system) which does seem to add something to
their appeal.

Regarding your "select few" comment, my target list is fairly short as well since many
languages simply don't hold much appeal to me. That list also got much shorter when I
got a good ways into Korean and realized how much of a time sink learning a language
can be which makes a large list quite difficult to attain. Languages that I haven't yet
attempted to learn that are on that target list are: German, Russian, Mandarin, and
maybe a flavor of Arabic at some point (with the languages that have at least had an
attempt being Spanish, Korean, and Japanese). In fact, that list is longer than it was
when I originally shrunk it a few years ago since Mandarin and Arabic weren't really on my
radar as candidates back then. None of those 4 are really languages that I intend to
tackle in the near future though, just "at some point". But if some media form in one of
the four caught my attention like media in Korean has, then who knows.

I learned a little bit of French in elementary school (in 6th grade, I believe), but that
language doesn't really held much appeal to me so it's never really been on my target
language list.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 371 of 479
29 June 2014 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2014년 6월 22일 - 2014년 6월 28일):

TTMIK: 7단 제1회-제10회

Scorched Earth Reading:
- No Brain - 넌 내게 반했어 (2 words + 1 grammar construction)
속임수 = trickery, swindle, fraud, deception, trick ("도도한 눈빛으로 제압하려 해도 / 난 그런
속임수에 속지않아")
정열 = passion, ardor, fervor, enthusiasm, zeal ("내 눈과 너의 눈이 마주쳤던 순간 / 튀었던 정열
의 불꽃들")
N+에다/에다가 = This ending can be seen as an extension of 에. [...] This ending really
stresses there is a change of place to a new, clearly defined place. ("내 볼에다 입 맞쳐줘
~")
Source for grammar point info:
LINK

- 박현빈 - 샤방샤방 (no new words or grammar)
I'm starting to notice a pattern in that trot songs have *really* simple lyrics.

Intensive Reading:
- TTMIK 이야기 제9회

Extensive Reading:
- 와라!편의점 (read daily)
- Twitter (a few visits each week)

Active Practice: Posts on Twitter

Song Memorization:
- 홍진영 - 사랑의 배터리
I'm adding a trot song to the memorization queue for the first time. I've always liked
this song anyway, so I've memorized the choruses (both of them) already just from
listening to it and seeing it on 도전 1000곡.

Comments:
Speaking of 도전 1000곡 (referenced in the song memorization comment above), it appears
that the 6/22 episode was the final episode. That show has been going for a *long*
time, so it's surprising to see it end, unless they are planning to revamp and come
back with a new season or something (which I believe they've done before). Hopefully
they do come back as I enjoy that show and don't really get exposed to older Korean
music much without it.

I watched a Korean movie for the first time in quite a while last night. It goes by
"Hindsight" in English, but the actual title is 푸른소금 which is more like "blue/green
salt". I mainly watched it because I heard there was a movie where 신세경 plays an
assassin, which is something I just had to see. I enjoyed the movie and thought it was
quite well done.

GOAL STATUS: Week 27
Grammar 1 (Extract grammar from SRS): DONE (65 cards)
Grammar 2 (Complete Let's Speak Korean 2부): 28/130
Grammar 3 (Complete Talk To Me In Korean): 185/265
Grammar 4 (Complete Survival Korean): Not Started
Grammar 5 (Complete SK: Basic Grammar): Not Started
Grammar 6 (Review Lonely Planet Phrasebook): Not Started
Grammar 7 (Review Using Korean): Not Started
Vocab 1 (SE read 24 songs): 12/24
Vocab 2 (INT read 1 TTMIK 이야기/month): 6/12
Production 1 (Memorize 1 song/month): 6/12
Production 2 (Write 2 posts/week): 21/52
Team Gumiho Challenges: 2/2

---

español (22/6/2014 - 28/6/2014):

Bilingual reading:
- Foxtrot en español (read daily)
- Dilbert en español (read daily)
- Calvin and Hobbes en español (read daily)
- XKCD en español (visited daily; read on the rare occasions that it updates)

Extensive Reading:

Comments:
I didn't do much of anything in Spanish this week except for the daily web comic
reading and watching a World Cup game on Univision (though ABC / ESPN were more
tempting as sources since those are HD for me and Univision is not, so it was hard to
stay on Univision just for the Spanish commentary when the video quality was so much
better elsewhere). The World Cup game I watched was South Korea getting annihilated by
Algeria. 0-3 by the first half did not bode well for South Korea's chances in that game
(which finished 2-4, so at least they gained some ground back in the second half).

GOAL STATUS: Week 27
General 1 (Find a "hook"): In Progress
Course 1 (Complete Pimsleur Spanish 1-4): 120/120
Course 2 (Complete Assimil Spanish With Ease): 2/109
Course 3 (Complete Destinos): DONE (52/52)
Production 1 (Write 2 posts/week): 13/52
Team Lobo Challenges: 2/2

Edited by Warp3 on 29 June 2014 at 4:57pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5435 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 372 of 479
29 June 2014 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
So you basically watched it because Shin Se Kyung is hot. I can't blame you there, as
that was the main reason I watched it. The other reason was that Song Kang Ho (the main
male character) is in a lot of good movies.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 373 of 479
29 June 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, that too...ㅋㅋㅋ The only other acting I had seen her do was in 지붕뚫고 하이킥, so
picturing her playing an assassin seemed like such a very different role (one which she
played quite well). I've also got "R2B: Return to Base" (which was the main topic on the
Taxi episode I saw with her as a guest and gives off a bit of a "Top Gun" vibe from the
trailer), but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Several of the other actors/actresses in 푸른소금 looked familiar, but none of the shows
or movies sounded familiar when I looked them up. Perhaps I've just seen them on variety
show appearances instead (which aren't always listed on the Wikipedia page for an
actor/actress).

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 374 of 479
06 July 2014 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2014년 6월 29일 - 2014년 7월 5일):

TTMIK: 7단 제11회-제20회

Extensive Reading:
- 와라!편의점 (read daily)

Active Practice: Posts on Twitter

Comments:
About a month ago I noted that I had stopped reviewing Hanja that week (due to lack of
time) and the reviews had climbed to 208 then just stayed there. Well I still haven't
taken the time to dive in and lo and behold it is still 208. I was initially thinking
something profound like the fact that most of my reviews are apparently caused by only
1/4 of the deck (which is entirely possible since I have leech suspension turned off for
most decks), then on a hunch I checked the settings..200 is my cap for review on that
deck (so the other 8 must be the new ones that are still in learning mode). The *actual*
due count is 505 (out of 831 cards in the whole deck)!!!

This makes me wonder if my method for learning these is simply wrong if 61% of the deck
can come due in less than 1 month's time. It would be different if this were a fairly
young deck, but the stats show that 74% of the deck is made of "mature" cards, not
"young" cards, and this deck was started back in 2010. Then again, maybe they simply
can't stick as well as other language info since I don't use them as heavily.

Then again, CZ and I broke into a brief discussion of Mandarin grammar and vocabulary
(in Korean, of course) on Twitter that was only prompted because I replied to a Mandarin
post he made where I knew every single character (meaning and reading) of the 8 unique
characters he used in that post, so I must be doing *something* right.

GOAL STATUS: Week 28
Grammar 3 (Complete Talk To Me In Korean): 195/265
Production 2 (Write 2 posts/week): 22/52

---

español (29/6/2014 - 5/7/2014):

Bilingual reading:

Extensive Reading:

GOAL STATUS: Week 28

Edited by Warp3 on 06 July 2014 at 4:06pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 375 of 479
06 July 2014 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
I've dropped the review cap from 200 to 30 on my Hanja deck, then did today's 38 reviews
(30 + the 8 in "learning mode"). I feel it'll be better if I do this and actually make some
progress on them, then just staring at the high review count and doing nothing each day.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5321 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 376 of 479
13 July 2014 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2014년 7월 6일 - 2014년 7월 12일):

TTMIK: 7단 제21회-제30회

Extensive Reading:
- 와라!편의점 (read daily)

Comments:
Unless they start in on level 10 soon, I now have 60 lessons left (2 levels) to be done
with all of TTMIK's grammar lessons. At my current pace (2 per workday, so 10 per week)
that would take 6 weeks, however I think I'm going to back down to 1 per workday (5 per
week) instead and use the remaining time on each commute to practice the songs in my
memorization queue

This is partly due to the fact that some of these songs are not sticking quite as well as
songs I've memorized prior to this year since I start a new song well before the previous
ones are fully cemented in my brain. I'm starting to suspect that 1 song per month was a
bit too fast alongside other challenges. In fact, at one point I started only working on part
of a new song initially then unsuspending more as I go and some songs from early in the
year still aren't fully unsuspended in Anki yet. I've also thought about prematurely
dropping the song memorization challenge (and leaving off at the 6 I've done), but there
are still some songs I really want to add this year, so I likely won't stop just yet (though I
may end up having to use a good chunk of next year to "catch up" on this SRS deck,
especially if I complete adding all 12 songs like the challenge states).

GOAL STATUS: Week 29
Grammar 3 (Complete Talk To Me In Korean): 205/265
Production 2 (Write 2 posts/week): 22/52

---

español (6/7/2014 - 12/7/2014):

Bilingual reading:

Extensive Reading:

GOAL STATUS: Week 29

Edited by Warp3 on 13 July 2014 at 3:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version