26 April 2015 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2015년 4월 19일 - 2015년 4월 25일):

Let's Speak Korean: 제170회 - 제171회

TTMIK Review: Level 3: 제18회 - 제27회

TAC Progress (week 17):
Active Study Hours: 6.0 -> 9.0 (65)
Immersion Hours: 33.0 -> 42.8 (156)
Team Challenges: 2 -> 2 (3)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q2, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the total number
of issued challenges.)

---

日本語 (2015年 4月 19日 - 2015年 4月 25日):

TAC Progress (week 17):
Active Study Hours: 0.9 -> 0.9 (26)
Immersion Hours: 10.7 -> 14.7 (52)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q2, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the total number
of issued challenges.)

---

Revising the goals was indeed a good thing as it keeps me from giving up on Saturdays out of hopelessness. That said, I did absolutely nothing for Japanese active study
this week, though. :-/

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 466 of 479
05 May 2015 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
한국어 (2015년 4월 26일 - 2015년 5월 2일):

TTMIK Review: Level 3: 제28회 - 제30회; Level 4: 제1회 - 제5회

TAC Progress (week 18):
Active Study Hours: 9.0 -> 11.1 (65)
Immersion Hours: 42.8 -> 44.1 (156)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q2, except for the Team Challenge where it
denotes the total number of issued challenges.)

---

日本語 (2015年 4月 26日 - 2015年 5月 2日):

TAC Progress (week 18):
Immersion Hours: 14.7 -> 15.9 (52)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q2, except for the Team Challenge where it
denotes the total number of issued challenges.)

---

My results for language learning this past week were spectacularly mediocre. Even for my passive goals I only reached 2.5 hrs for both languages
combined! Other hobbies and interests have been reemerging lately which has taken its toll on my time spent with languages for the past few weeks.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Egyptian)*
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Hungarian

Message 467 of 479
05 May 2015 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
You're trying to stick with it, and it counts, even if your progress did wane a bit.
One thing I noticed, and that is in my own studying, is that when you are already in
the rhythm of things, and then you switch it up, it takes you a bit to play catch up,
simply because you're adjusting to the change. So maybe you can keep up the same
rhythm as you were in the first quarter, and then gradually decrease the Japanese
while simultaneously increasing the Korean, until you hit your target goals. Or give
yourself just one task, and one that wouldn't necessarily require you having to
dedicate a separate study time, since this can feel a bit overwhelming when you're
back from work and read to call it a day. It's probably why watching TV is easier, too
:D

That said, I still think you're doing great and not slacking off completely, like me.
So keep it up.

With regards to the kana vs. kanji thing you spoke a bit about a few posts back, it
seems that, while there are a lot of kanji that are standard use, text chatting and
Twitter posts give more leeway to kana. It could be a style thing. Like how we
probably would post short, incomplete, slangy English sentences on Facebook, or
something. I'm not sure, it's just a guess, even though it is more intuitive
putting the word down in a simple kanji. I did notice that a lot when I read Twitter
posts, especially by some female celebs. Kanji can be irritating if you don't
recognize it, but once it sticks, reading does become faster. I read a lot of texts in
kana early on in my studies, and still do if I read something intended for children,
so it never was an issue for me, and I like looking at those curvy characters, they
give a softness to the text. But kanji is easier once you know the readings.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 468 of 479
10 May 2015 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm still not receiving any notifications from this forum
and haven't checked in here during the past week.

I have no intention of fully giving up on either language, but language learning in
general has just been taking a backseat to other things lately. Due to this, it will
be much more difficult to meet my Q2 goals, but even when I don't meet my goals I
still tend to make far more progress when attempting to do so than when I have no
set goals at all.

Kojima Haruna is somewhat known, at least on the AKBINGO! episodes I've seen,
for being pretty poor at Kanji, so it isn't really all that surprising when she does it.
In fact, the episodes where they point out her mistakes are often made more
humorous by the fact that I recognized the mistakes as well. For example, in one
episode she wrote the Kanji for east (東) instead of the one for car (車). As I've
known both of these characters for a long time (well before I started learning
Japanese), the mistake was just as obvious to me as it was to the others on the
show. Most other Japanese celebs I follow, though, seem to use Kanji much more
normally (i.e. they use it for common Kanji and skip it where Kana is more
common).

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5320 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 469 of 479
10 May 2015 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2015년 5월 3일 - 2015년 5월 9일):

TTMIK Review: Level 4: 제6회 - 제14회

TAC Progress (week 19):
Active Study Hours: 11.1 -> 13.2 (65)
Immersion Hours: 44.1 -> 48.6 (156)
Team Challenges: 2 -> 2 (4)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q2, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the
total number of issued challenges.)

---

日本語 (2015年 5月 3日 - 2015年 5月 9日):

TAC Progress (week 19):
Immersion Hours: 15.9 -> 18.7 (52)
Team Challenges: 2 -> 2 (4)
(The values before the arrow are last week's values. The values in parentheses are the final goals for Q2, except for the Team Challenge where it denotes the
total number of issued challenges.)

---

This last week's results weren't quite as low as the previous week's, but they weren't far off either. I'm making zero progress lately with Japanese active
study, but since this is supposed to be a Korean focus quarter, I'll let that slide for now as long as I keep doing *something* in Japanese.

I also need to get back to using LingQ again or drop my account back down to free for now.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 470 of 479
11 May 2015 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm still not receiving any notifications
from this forum
and haven't checked in here during the past week.

No biggie.

Warp3 wrote:
Kojima Haruna is somewhat known, at least on the AKBINGO! episodes I've
seen,
for being pretty poor at Kanji, so it isn't really all that surprising when she does
it.
In fact, the episodes where they point out her mistakes are often made more
humorous by the fact that I recognized the mistakes as well. For example, in one
episode she wrote the Kanji for east (東) instead of the one for car (車). As I've
known both of these characters for a long time (well before I started learning
Japanese), the mistake was just as obvious to me as it was to the others on the
show. Most other Japanese celebs I follow, though, seem to use Kanji much more
normally (i.e. they use it for common Kanji and skip it where Kana is more
common).

Do you think she's really that ditzy? :D I mean, even foreign language learners like
us can get a mistake as obvious as this one. I find it somewhat difficult to believe
that, living in Japan all her life, she hadn't come across a kanji as obvious as 東
and 車, lol :) I didn't even try to actively study either, and I could tell the two
apart early on based on how common use they are. It could be just a showbiz persona,
or she's just incredibly...I don't even know what to put down here, hehe. Either way,
AKBINGO! is a lot of fun to watch, even if they're all just acting like airheads.

Stassri
Korea, South
Joined 3883 days ago

23 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Korean*

Message 471 of 479
12 May 2015 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Woodsei wrote:

Do you think she's really that ditzy? :D I mean, even foreign language learners like
us can get a mistake as obvious as this one. I find it somewhat difficult to believe
that, living in Japan all her life, she hadn't come across a kanji as obvious as 東
and 車, lol :) I didn't even try to actively study either, and I could tell the two
apart early on based on how common use they are. It could be just a showbiz persona,
or she's just incredibly...I don't even know what to put down here, hehe. Either way,
AKBINGO! is a lot of fun to watch, even if they're all just acting like airheads.

If you think every single instance of these people's ditzyness at misspelling is put up, well... I'm afraid to say that no country's average intellectual level meets your expectations, be it for TV celebrities, or the general masses.

Woodsei
Bilingual Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
United States
justpaste.it/Woodsei
Joined 4582 days ago

614 posts - 782 votes 

Message 472 of 479
12 May 2015 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Stassri wrote:
]If you think every single instance of these people's ditzyness at
misspelling is put up, well... I'm afraid to say that no country's average intellectual
level meets your expectations, be it for TV celebrities, or the general masses.

I was just being cynical:) I apologize if it came across as arrogant, and I've offended
anyone.

Edited by Woodsei on 12 May 2015 at 7:32pm

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version