Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 265 of 479
16 June 2013 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 6월 9일 - 2013년 6월 15일):

Extensive Reading:
- 와라! 편의점 (7 pages)
- a few visits to Twitter

Listening: Nothing of note

I tried to listen to my audio rips of Secret Garden early in the week, but found it too boring so I went back to listening to music instead. I've listened to the audio rip of a drama before, but so much of the first episode of Secret Garden involves scenes that lack dialog, which made it pretty much useless for audio-only. Later episodes would be better, I'm sure, but I think I'm just going to switch back to 이야기 or do something else instead this week.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 266 of 479
23 June 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 6월 16일 - 2013년 6월 22일):

Extensive Reading:
- 와라! 편의점 (7 pages)

Listening:
- TTMIK 이야기 episodes 1-15 (1 pass of each)

---

I keep wanting to restart Spanish, but I never quite seem to get started. When I do, my first step will likely be to enter the remaining Assimil lessons into Anki. When I was working on this before, one thing that stopped me was that the time involved in entering lessons kept me from doing new lessons (as I wanted to SRS the sentences and phrases afterward to keep them in my head). If I can finish powering my way through entering the lessons into the SRS (as its own separate task) then I should be able to simply go through the lessons normally afterward and turn on each lesson's cards as I do the lesson. Yes, I could just skip the SRS part, but SRSing what I already have in Assimil has done a great job of keeping that info in my head even without studying Spanish in quite a while, so I'd rather stick with this plan for now (at least until I finish Assimil Spanish with Ease).

I also need to focus more on Spanish media this time around. I used very little Spanish media previously, but this was partly due to the fact that I was quite reluctant to get too involved with it. The reason for my reluctance was the fear that I might find myself interested enough to start switching over to Spanish media and eventually drop Korean media. However, I think I'm deeply embedded in Korean enough that the odds of that happening now are very slim.

Edited by Warp3 on 23 June 2013 at 2:37pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 267 of 479
30 June 2013 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 6월 23일 - 2013년 6월 29일):

Extensive Reading:
- 와라! 편의점 (7 pages)

Listening:
- TTMIK 이야기 episodes 16-30 (1 pass of each)

---

I went to buy a tablet a couple days ago (I have a PocketEdge which is an Android-based dual-screen tablet/e-Reader, but have been wanting a full-fledged 10-inch tablet (with a faster CPU, capacitance screen, etc.) for a while now). On the way to the store (since they aren't all that much cheaper online, surprisingly) it occurred to me that I hadn't checked which tablets support which UI languages yet (since I know Android phones always seem to have a very small language set, usually English and Spanish). I suspected the Samsung tablets would have a better language selection since their Galaxy phones do (5 languages available the Galaxy S3 phone, including Korean). Since all the tablets I was considering were setup as display models I switched languages to Korean (then back to English (US) afterward) to confirm the behavior of this feature on the various models and surprisingly none of the models I tested (an iPad, various Samsung models, and an Asus Transformer TF700T) had anything less than a huge list of languages available. In fact, the only real difference I noted is that switching languages on the Android tablets was immediate (1-2 seconds max) and you stay in the language menu, whereas the iPad switches to a blank screen noting it is switching languages, thinks for a good 30-60 seconds, then drops you back to the home screen in the new language. The list of languages, though, was plentiful on all of them which was a pleasant surprise. (For what it's worth, I ended up with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, which I'm really liking. It helps that it was on sale, apparently due to the Galaxy Tab 3 coming out soon.)

Edited by Warp3 on 30 June 2013 at 4:16pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 268 of 479
04 July 2013 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
I've finally taken the time to watch a few movies lately and both movies I've watched recently have been quite entertaining.

The first was 과속 스캔들 with 차태현 and 박보영. I'd seen 차태현 in several things before (movies and variety shows), but I had only seen 박보영 as a guest on Running Man previously (and apparently she appears again on Running Man later, but I haven't reached that episode yet).

The second was 7급 공무원 (which they apparently turned into a TV series earlier this year as well) with 김하늘 and 강지환. I had only seen 김하늘 as a guest on the 1박 2일 actress special (back before the cast member revamp). I didn't recognize the name 강지환 at all nor did I recognize him from the cover. However in the first scene I immediately recognized him as the lead role from Coffee House (as 이진수, the writer).

Both movies were quite good and I'll have to check out the TV series version of 7급 공무원 now (even though the cast is completely different).

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 269 of 479
05 July 2013 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
The TV series is complete shit. Skip it.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 270 of 479
07 July 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 6월 30일 - 2013년 7월 6일):

Extensive Reading:
- 와라! 편의점 (7 pages)

Listening:
- TTMIK 이야기 episodes 31-40 (1 pass of each)

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 271 of 479
14 July 2013 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 7월 7일 - 2013년 7월 13일):

New Hanja Cards: 7

New Korean Cards: 24

Extensive Reading:
- 와라! 편의점 (7 pages)

Listening:
- TTMIK 이야기 episodes 41-50 (1 pass of each)

Song Memorization: Nothing of note, though I'm really tempted to restart this. If I do so, it will probably with "Rainbow - Tell Me Tell Me" as the first song I choose since I've already memorized over half of it from when it was still being performed. "Girls Day - 기대해" is another good candidate as I've memorized large chunks of it as well. (On that note, both of those songs quickly turned into my favorites for their respective groups.)

Holy crap, I added cards this week! According to Anki, I last added 한국어 cards in April and 漢字 cards in May.

---

español (7/7/2013 - 13/7/2013):

I've had the urge to restart Spanish recently, but haven't figured out what step I want to take first for the study side of it (restart Pimsleur, restart Assimil, both in parallel, etc.). I definitely need more media this time, though, to keep the flow going once the boredom starts to set in. For example, my MP3 player currently has all of 2 Spanish songs on it right now ("Shakira - Suerte" and "Café Tacvba - Eres") compared to thousands of Korean songs. I also have an old Selena album, but that music doesn't really interest me the way it does back when I first bought that album (a *long* time ago).

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 272 of 479
21 July 2013 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2013년 7월 14일 - 2013년 7월 20일):

Extensive Reading:
- 와라! 편의점 (7 pages)

Listening:
- TTMIK 이야기 episodes 51-60 (1 pass of each)

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version