United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 105 of 479
19 March 2012 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
This morning I removed "4minute - 거울아 거울아" and "Rainbow - To Me (내게로)" from my memorization queue. This isn't for lack of desire to learn them, but rather due to me overlooking the fact that I haven't scorched-earth read either of them yet. Since SER is prerequisite to memorizing them, they aren't yet eligible for this queue. (However, this does give me ample motivation to SER them soon, so I can add them back.) I'm considering adding 1 more song to the queue in the meantime, but I'm not sure which one yet.
1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4467 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 106 of 479
19 March 2012 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
What is scorched earth reading? I think you mentioned it some times but google doesn't return anything about it...

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 107 of 479
19 March 2012 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
I got the term from GoldFibre's Korean in Kuwait blog (http://www.koreaninkuwait.com/). It's basically the same as what most here call intensive reading (reading while looking up unknown words). The idea behind using the term "scorched earth", though, is to imply that nothing is left unscathed. SER is only done when you know every single word in a given text. Thus when I SER a song's lyrics, I read through and note every word I don't know, then I go back and look them all up and add them to my SRS. Once I've determined that every word of the song is either already known or is now in my SRS, then I'm "done" scorched-earth reading that song.

Edited by Warp3 on 19 March 2012 at 2:45pm

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4467 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 108 of 479
19 March 2012 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the explanation. Indeed, I've found it's almost impossible to remember the lines I don't fully understand, be it in terms of vocabulary or grammar.

Strangely enough, once remembered, I can forget the meaning and still be able to sing them accurately (experienced with Mandarin...)

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5438 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 109 of 479
20 March 2012 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Warp, you ever think of doing this for hiphop songs? The vocabulary is much more varied
than idol songs. I learned a lot of words from Epik High's songs.

Edited by The Real CZ on 20 March 2012 at 2:24am

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 110 of 479
20 March 2012 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Honestly...I've never really been much of a hip-hop / rap fan compared to rock or pop, so I hadn't put much thought into trying a rap song. Epik High does indeed have some decent songs though, so I may try one of their songs at some point. Actually the more I think about it several groups come to mind with at least one song that I like enough to try for this project: Mighty Mouth, Supreme Team, Clover (which I like better than 은지원's solo stuff)...or I could get really brave and try to recite some Outsider at speed...ㅋㅋㅋ

Hmmm...y'know...as I write this and think about it more, "Clover - La Vida Loca" would be a good choice. I really grew to like that song while they were performing it and the pace isn't quite as fast as many of the other rap songs.

Also, one of the songs I fully intend to put in my queue at some point is "송지은 - 미친거니" which is half-ballad / half-rap anyway. In fact, I've already picked up several of 방용국's lines from that song just from listening to it so much.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5438 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 111 of 479
20 March 2012 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
I just figured it'd be a nice change of pace for you. Pretty soon, you'll run out of new
words to learn with pop songs, but there's much more words to learn if you used hiphop
songs.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 112 of 479
22 March 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
True, but having a fairly limited range of vocabulary in pop songs is also a good thing as it becomes "narrow reading" which lets you concentrate more on the small number of new words in each new song. Eventually, though, it will get too narrow and I won't learn much from reading new songs in that genre. In fact the other day I was watching Music Bank and decided to read along with the lyrics for Ailee's "Heaven" only to discover that song has *zero* unknown words in it. Granted the lyrics aren't very complex in that song anyway, but that is still the first song I've ever read the lyrics to and actually known every single word.

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version