United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 65 of 479
02 February 2012 at 4:54am | IP Logged 
This evening I eliminated SKV's "15.3 Print Media and Computer" section (7 cards; all "C" words as I'd already done the "B" words from this section) plus added 2 additional cards (both for homonyms of words from that section).
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 66 of 479
02 February 2012 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
I just posted this in CZ's thread and it occurs to me that I should include this here as well. Below is a description of the current layout that I use for my Anki 한국어 cards (other decks have different fields).

---

한국어 (the only field of the 4 that appears on the question side of the card) is the Korean word or phrase (I try to use just the word itself, but to differentiate homonyms I will either bump up to a longer word (that only applies to one of the homonyms) or a short phrase if needed).
영어 is the translation / answer / explanation (though I may rename this field as often it contains a Korean answer or explanation rather than the English translation now).
출처 contains the name of the source (book, TV show, movie, forum, blog, etc.) where I obtained this word along with the sentence or phrase in which it was used. If the word is in the KEV/SKV books I will also list that here along with the level (A, B, C) and the example sentence (if any) from SKV.
기타 contains miscellaneous information. This includes 한자 (if the word has Sino-Korean roots), SKV "usage tip" entries, alternate forms of the word, word definitions (for phrases), homonym notes, etc.

Here is an example of a recent card (one I added yesterday, in fact):
한국어: 동화책
영어: fairytale book
출처: SKV-C (동화책), SKV-B (동화: "정채봉의 동화는 아이들과 심지어 어른들에게도 아주 인기가 많다." = "Chaebong Chung's fairy tales are very popular with children and even adults.")
기타: 동화(童話) = children's story, fairy tale (lit: child-tell; 아이-말할) (with a homonym meaning "assimilation")

This is an example of a word that I needed to use in a longer form since the shorter form had a homonym. For the homonym card, I decided on 동화되다 (to integrate, assimilate (into), be assimilated) since that effectively separates it from the "fairy tale" meaning. This is also an example of a word I got from the SKV book, not from another source, thus SKV is the only source listed.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 67 of 479
03 February 2012 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
I've made a bit of a change to my handling of the Hanja goal that will hopefully resolve some of the issues unique to that deck. While I will continue to monitor my weekly target (7/week overall average), the target I actually plan to concentrate on now is a 1/day target. Due to the nature of Hanja (vs my regular Korean deck), adding too many Hanja at once just seems to confuse me more. With a weekly target it is easy to try to "catch up" on Saturday resulting in 5-7 cards suddenly appearing in the deck that day. Then on Sunday I can't remember 3/4 of them. Finally some time later in the week they may actually start to stick.

So instead, I am instituting minimum and maximum *daily* targets. My minimum target is 1/day. Even doing just this minimum maintains my 7/week baseline and it takes very little time to add 1 Hanja card (especially now that I've dropped stroke order). To keep myself from trying to play catch up for missed days, my maximum targets are 2/day on weekdays or 3/day on weekends (or more accurately 3/day on days I don't go to work, which is normally weekend days).

If Saturday rolls around and I've been lazy and done no Hanja that week...too bad...I missed my target and can only hit 3 that week. In that scenario, I'd rather learn only 3 that week (then resume my 1/day pace) than to load up each Saturday and frustrate myself for several days afterward. Frustration kills motivation and lack of motivation kills progress.

I implemented this change yesterday and thus added 1 Hanja yesterday and 1 today. Hopefully that trend will continue for a while.

The targets for the Korean vocab are still working well enough as weekly targets, so they will remain as is for now.

Edited by Warp3 on 03 February 2012 at 4:50pm

Ymer
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4599 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Korean

Message 68 of 479
03 February 2012 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Warp, you do you why some verbs in my textbook end with the letter w?

for example:
어려w- = be difficult
쉬w-   = be easy

Also why they write like this too:
머-ㄹ-   = be distant, far

And do you know somewhere I can ask these kinds of questions in the future? I couldn't find a korean thread for simnple questions on this forum?

Edited by Ymer on 03 February 2012 at 9:56pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 69 of 479
03 February 2012 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Those should be:
어렵다 (to be difficult)
쉽다 (to be easy)
멀다 (to be far, distant)

I wonder if there was some font or printing issue that caused those glitches in your textbook.

I don't believe there is a thread for Korean questions, but the "Questions About Your Target Languages" section should work for this. (It's intended for more of a "thread per question" usage rather than a "thread per language" setup, though.)

Edited by Warp3 on 03 February 2012 at 10:06pm

Ymer
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4599 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Korean

Message 70 of 479
03 February 2012 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
might be a glitch because they have never explained it or even mentioned it.

Thanks

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5408 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 71 of 479
04 February 2012 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Ymer, are you using Elementary Korean/Continuing Korean? If so, I can explain why they do
that.

어려w = 어렵다 in dictionary form. Verbs/adjectives like that have different conjugation
rules compared to the other class of verbs that end in ㅂ. 잡다 --> 잡아, but 어렵다 --> 어려
워, and since 워 is "wo", that's why your book writes it as 어려w, because how it
conjugates.

머-ㄹ is written like that for the same reason, how it conjugates. For example, 먼 길 for
'long road' instead of 멀은 길, which is incorrect.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5294 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 72 of 479
04 February 2012 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Good point...they are both "irregulars" (the former two ~ㅂ irregulars and the latter a ~ㄹ irregular). I hadn't really thought of that.

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version