United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 33 of 479
31 December 2011 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
I added 9 more cards yesterday and 8 today, so I've hit my goal of 39 new SRS facts for this week.

I've also switched tactics on my usage of Korean Essential Vocabulary 6000 and Survival Korean Vocabulary (which is something I've intended to do for a while now). I'm now making *zero* use of the KEV6000 book and instead using the SKV book as the sole reference source for the "essential vocabulary" list. Using both books is simply too redundant and wastes time with virtually no benefit (and SKV is the better resource for several reasons).

Since SKV is sorted by topic rather than alphabetically (like KEV), I've also switched to learning the vocabulary from it this way as well. I tackled what I suspected would be some of the easiest sections (i.e. those with the fewest remaining unknown items) today and eliminated 3 sections with 4 cards (there are 22 chapters total and each chapter has 2-7 sections in it).

The sections I eliminated today were:
- Particles (2 endings learned)
- Personal Pronouns (1 word learned)
- Numbers and Counting Words (1 verb learned)
(NOTE: For reference, "count words" (개, 병, 분, etc.) aren't in the "Numbers and Counting Words" section, but rather in a separate "Units of Counting Items" section.)

Learning a word from the "Personal Pronouns" section was a bit of a surprise. I can't say I recall ever seeing the word 자네 (you) before. The notes in that section mention that 자네 is generally only used by older people talking to younger people (the example they gave was a father-in-law talking to his son-in-law).

Edited by Warp3 on 31 December 2011 at 9:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 34 of 479
31 December 2011 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
You'll hear a word like 자네 in a drama/movie.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 35 of 479
01 January 2012 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
I eliminated SKV's "Music" section today, though I was surprised that it took 7 words to do so. However, 4 of those 7 words have loan word equivalents that are used instead in the pop music world, which would explain why I hadn't learned them yet.

I also read some on Twitter today for the first time in several days. Unsurprisingly, most of the recent posts contain '새해 복 많이 받으세요'. No wait, most of the accounts I follow are female, so make that '새해 복 많이많이많이 받으세용!!!' with a half dozen smilies following it. ㅎㅎㅎ

Edited by Warp3 on 01 January 2012 at 9:03pm

Ymer
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 4622 days ago

20 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Korean

Message 36 of 479
03 January 2012 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
A question:
When I hear a word i know in korean e.g. 책, I think of the English meaning of the word to know what it is. I don’t naturally know what it is at once…

It’s hard to explain but another example of the opposite is an expression I learned only from watching Korean tv -shows (어떻게해) .I understood what it meant from the context when it was used without the need of a translation. So when I hear it now I instantly know what it means without the need of thinking of the English meaning.
My question is, do you two still need to think of what a Korean sentence means in English or do you just know what it means instantly.

Oh and you don’t happen to know where I can find English subbed episodes of we got married with Jun Jin & Lee Si Young? Si young is just so cute!! I´ve only found the first episode with them subbed and the rest raw. Have you watched those episodes? They are from 2009.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 37 of 479
04 January 2012 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Ymer wrote:
My question is, do you two still need to think of what a Korean sentence means in English or do you just know what it means instantly.

It depends on the word or sentence in question. I think once you hear a particular word or phrase (or even a verb ending) enough times and/or in a memorable enough context, it just clicks in your head and doesn't really get translated anymore. Some things I still translate on the fly and others are simply instinctive instead. In fact, one thing I've noticed lately is I'll sometimes see a sentence that makes me think: "I know what that sentence means, but it would take me a long time to reword that enough in English until it made sense."

Ymer wrote:
Oh and you don’t happen to know where I can find English subbed episodes of we got married with Jun Jin & Lee Si Young? Si young is just so cute!! I´ve only found the first episode with them subbed and the rest raw. Have you watched those episodes? They are from 2009.

Most of the subs for WGM that I've seen are subbed cuts specific to certain celebrities rather than full shows. For example, SoshiSubs (part of the Soshified forums) subtitles the scenes with the couples that include SNSD members (i.e., 태연 or 서현) but not the entire shows. Personally I've yet to watch any episodes of WGM.

Edited by Warp3 on 04 January 2012 at 2:27am

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5431 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 38 of 479
04 January 2012 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Depends on the words being used. If I know the words and grammar well enough in a sentence, I don't need to translate it to myself. On the other hand, there are sentences where I have to translate stuff before I understand it.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 39 of 479
04 January 2012 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
In fact, one thing I've noticed lately is I'll sometimes see a sentence that makes me think: "I know what that sentence means, but it would take me a long time to reword that enough in English until it made sense."

I had T-ara's "Cry Cry" in my head this morning and it occurred to me that there is a phrase in there that is a decent example of what I mean.

사랑했던 나를 울리지 마 (roughly: Don't make me, who loved you, cry.)

This sentence makes perfect sense, but translating it into English sounds a bit awkward. It's still understandable in English, but not particularly natural sounding.

This isn't the best example I've seen of it, but it gets my point across since most of the example do use adjectival phrases like that. The better examples are the ones with much longer adjectival phrases, that would likely translate better as a completely new sentence in English rather than a subordinate clause like I was able to use above.

At first, it's easy to try to write this off as "poetic phrasing" since it is from a song, but those same word arrangements are used elsewhere as well, including colloquial speech.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5317 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 40 of 479
04 January 2012 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
I eliminated two more sections of SKV today.

- 10.1: Office Items (3 cards added)
- 5.2: Questioning and Answering (9 cards added)

I also added a card for a homonym of one of the office items words (풀, which can mean either "glue, paste" or "grass"), bringing my total to 13 new cards today.

Several of the cards I added from Questioning and Answering were derivatives of words that I already know, but I still felt they were useful enough to have their own cards.

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version