United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 57 of 479
26 January 2012 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
I added the new words from my SER pass of "Gee" (7 cards) today, plus 2 additional cards (one of which was a homonym card for a word in the list from "Gee"). That brings my total to 25 for this week, so I need 14 more by Saturday to reach my weekly goal.

I haven't added any Hanja yet this week, though, so I'll need to work on that soon.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 58 of 479
28 January 2012 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
I eliminated SKV's "18.4 Time, Time of Day" section today (8 cards added; all "C" words as I already did the "B" words previously). I now need only 6 more cards to meet my vocab goal for this week, which I should be able to easily do tomorrow. However, I still haven't done any Hanja yet this week, so I need to add some of those tomorrow as well.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 59 of 479
28 January 2012 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
I did a scorched-earth-reading pass of T-ara's Yayaya and added 8 cards to my SRS (1 of which, 단둘, replaced an old sentence card I had containing that word). This brings my weekly total to 41, thus slightly exceeding my 39/week target.

I also added 8 Hanja cards today (the only Hanja I've added all week). That exceeds my normal target for Hanja (7/week) but not my "I need to catch up" target (11/week). However I did exceed my catch up target last week by doing 12, so I'm still okay overall. Oddly two of the cards I added today had multiple readings (切 = 절 or 체; 惡 = 악 or 오), which is fairly rare in Korean, so that will make them slightly more annoying to review. (I can't imagine how much of a pain it is to learn some of the Japanese Kanji characters that have half-a-dozen possible readings.)

Edited by Warp3 on 28 January 2012 at 7:01pm

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 60 of 479
30 January 2012 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
Since there are so many readings for Japanese, it is much better to learn the readings
through learning new vocab than to learn readings alone.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 61 of 479
30 January 2012 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
I figured as much. I know AJATT recommends that option.

---

Yesterday, I added 3 new Hanja cards and 6 vocab cards (5 from 영웅호걸 and 1 from Happy Together). Only 3 more episodes of 영웅호걸 left...and it was finally getting interesting again...{sigh}

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 62 of 479
31 January 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday, I eliminated SKV's "20.7 Measures and Weights" section (5 cards added) then added 3 cards from various other sources.

---

Somewhat off topic: I'm noticing an annoying trend recently on Korean TV shows to screw up on-screen names. This is particularly annoying when you rely on this on-screen text to learn names of group members.

The recent examples that I can recall: Before one of Dalshabet's stage performances (Pink Rocket, I think), there is one of those name+photo montages. However, 지율 and 가은 are labeled backward during this montage which confused me as I swore I knew which one 지율 was (but never really paid much attention to 가은), so I was starting to wonder if I'd learned the wrong name for her. Fortunately, I had a Happy Together episode featuring 지율 to confirm that the montage was wrong, not my memory.

Another example was episode 2 of 청춘불패 2 (during the scene where 현우 arrives at the Miss A dorm to wake up 수지). They show a big photo of the group (obviously from 꽃다발, based on the background) and superimpose the names...with Fei and Jia labeled backward...{rolleyes}

The final example was the Jan 1st Inkigayo (which I just watched last night since I'm way behind on music shows) with the Davichi + T-ara combo stage. The montage at the beginning shows what is obviously 효민's photo with "Eun Jung" (who wasn't even in the special stage) written across it.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 63 of 479
01 February 2012 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
I read a bilingual children's book today called "How The Fox Got His Color" (available for $2.99 as an e-book from either Amazon or Barnes & Noble or about $14-15 in print format). It was a fairly short book, but interesting enough (for a children's book, anyway). I knew the bulk of the vocabulary, but was surprised to still find several words I did not yet know, so I'll need to go back through and do a scorched earth reading pass at some point to pick up the stragglers.

The author actually has 3 books available in English/Korean format (they are written in English originally, but translated to other languages), but only two are available in e-book format on B&N (all 3 are on Amazon). I prefer buying them from B&N since the Nook uses the same base file format that my tablet reads (ePUB), but I may have to get the 3rd one from Amazon then convert it to ePUB instead (or just read it using the Kindle app). Oddly enough the 3rd one is apparently free on Amazon ($2.99/ea for the other two).

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 64 of 479
02 February 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
I had T-ara's "Cry Cry" in my head this morning and it occurred to me that there is a phrase in there that is a decent example of what I mean.

사랑했던 나를 울리지 마 (roughly: Don't make me, who loved you, cry.)

I was reading through the lyrics to this a few days ago and realized that I actually cut that sentence short. The *actual* sentence is 붉은 태양보다 더 뜨겁게 사랑했던 나를 울리지 마 (roughly: Don't make me, who loved you more intensely than the red sun, cry.) which illustrates my point even better since the adjectival phrase is longer.

---

Yesterday, I read through "The Dance Of The Caterpillars" (by the same author as "How The Fox Got His Color"). The "caterpillar" book is *much* more simply written than the "fox" book is and has far fewer words that I didn't already know.

However, to anyone reading these books I would recommend thoroughly ignoring the vocabulary lists. The entries in those lists range from ok to kinda (if you stretch the meaning a bit) to not-even-close-to-correct.

I also tried to listen to the audio for "How The Fox Got His Color" (available from the author's creationsbycrouch.com website) on the way home today, but the volume was so quiet that even cranking the volume all the way up on both the MP3 player and the car stereo didn't make it audible enough. I'll try to amplify it with Audacity, but if that doesn't work, I'll have to just write that part off as a lost cause.

Edited by Warp3 on 02 February 2012 at 12:38am

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version