United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 209 of 479
09 December 2012 at 7:45pm | IP Logged 
It's a combination of being understaffed for the last few months, plus having several big projects going on at once (at more than one client). Fortunately, it appears the first part of that may be fixed fairly soon and hopefully some of these projects will start trailing off soon as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 210 of 479
16 December 2012 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2012년 12월 9일- 2012년 12월 15일):

New Hanja Cards: 6
This week I completed the 7-stroke section in "A Guide To Korean Characters". 만세!

New Korean Cards: 15

"Survival Korean Vocabulary" Sections Completed: None

Scorched Earth Reading: None

Extensive Reading:
- 2 pages of 헝거 게임 (The Hunger Games)
- A few visits to Twitter

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 16 through 30 (1 pass of each)

Active Practice: nothing of note

Song Memorization: nothing of note

Comments:
Yay! I actually added cards this week.

---

日本語 (2012年 12月 9日 - 2012年 12月 15日):

I've not really done anything with Japanese this week, other than SRS reviews and a small amount of media immersion.

---

español (9/12/2012 - 15/12/2012):

I've not really done anything with Spanish this week, other than SRS reviews and a small amount of media immersion.

---

I've noticed that the TAC 2013 is starting to kick off in full force now (which is why the "Active Topics" list was so huge today). Most likely, I'll be skipping the TAC this year. I don't regret doing the 2012 TAC, but if I go for another challenge soon, it will be a short-term one rather than a full-year challenge.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm still in TAC 2012 mode until the year ends, so in the next couple weeks, I'll total up my counts and see where I landed on the quantifiable items in my goals list. I'm sure I fell short on several of those goals, but some of them wouldn't have had nearly as much progress as they did without *some* goal to shoot for (which the TAC gave me a reason to make), so I'm still happy overall with the result.

Edited by Warp3 on 17 December 2012 at 12:35pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 211 of 479
16 December 2012 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
New Hanja Cards: 6
This week I completed the 7-stroke section in "A Guide To Korean Characters". 만세!

Congrats! I think it's pretty cool that you're sticking to learning Hanja. I just can't seem to get around to it, which is a shame... Maybe this will change when I start learning Mandarin - I will have to learn characters then anyway, might as well learn the corresponding Hanja.

Warp3 wrote:
Extensive Reading:
- 2 pages of 헝거 게임 (The Hunger Games)

I know you don't have much time at the moment and I don't know what the level of difficulty of this book is, but I'd encourage you to read more. I just read 35 pages over the weekend and the benefits only really seem to set in past the 10th page or so. It gets a lot easier and therefore faster over time, too.

Edited by druckfehler on 16 December 2012 at 5:54pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 212 of 479
17 December 2012 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
I know you don't have much time at the moment and I don't know what the level of difficulty of this book is, but I'd encourage you to read more. I just read 35 pages over the weekend and the benefits only really seem to set in past the 10th page or so. It gets a lot easier and therefore faster over time, too.

I do agree that you sort of get into a flow a few pages in, but unfortunately most of my reading hasn't been dedicated reading time, but rather 1 page at a time here and there. Oddly, the main reason I'm reading this book more slowly than the previous ones is not really due to a lack of time, but rather due to a difference in the size of the book. The Sisa bilingual books are a lot smaller and thus were more convenient to take with me. Hunger Games, in comparison, is quite a bit larger making it much less convenient to do so.

Regardless, your point is correct. I need to designate some time as "reading time" and then read at least a few pages in a row during those times to get a flow going each time I read. Even if I can only pick one day a week (likely a weekend day) to designate a time to read and then read 10 pages or so, that is still far beyond what I'm doing now and wouldn't really take all that long.

My "short time windows" would be better used for browsing Twitter or Wikipedia or something of that sort on my phone. (Actually...I did visit Twitter a few times this week, but forgot to note it above.)

As for the Hanja, they can be difficult at times, but overall I still find it worth it to study them. It's nice to be able to "read" many Japanese and Chinese words by simply reading out the pronunciation of the characters in Korean and recognizing the resulting Korean word. That trick doesn't always work, but it frequently does.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 213 of 479
23 December 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
한국어 (2012년 12월 16일- 2012년 12월 22일):

New Hanja Cards: 0

New Korean Cards: 4

"Survival Korean Vocabulary" Sections Completed: None

Scorched Earth Reading: None

Extensive Reading:
- 3 pages of 헝거 게임 (The Hunger Games)

Listening: TTMIK 이야기 episodes 31 and 32 (5 passes of each)

Active Practice: nothing of note

Song Memorization: nothing of note

---

日本語 (2012年 12月 16日 - 2012年 12月 22日):

I've not really done anything with Japanese this week, other than SRS reviews and a small amount of media immersion.

---

español (16/12/2012 - 22/12/2012):

I've not really done anything with Spanish this week, other than SRS reviews and a small amount of media immersion.

---

This past week did turn out to be quite busy (with both work and personal tasks), but I'm still a bit disappointed at how little I got done with language study. This week is the last week of my TAC 2012 challenge, so I need to make a final push to the finish line. I still have a work project that is due by end-of-year that will take up a lot of my time this coming week, though (which is one of the tasks that took so much time this past week), but hopefully that won't completely impede my progress.

Edited by Warp3 on 23 December 2012 at 5:38pm

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5322 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 

Message 214 of 479
24 December 2012 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
AOA is quickly becoming one of my favorite Korean groups. Which makes it all the more disappointing to find that it is nearly impossible to buy their music for some strange reason. The first place I checked was iTunes, which is where I've been buying nearly all my Korean music now, but they have nothing by AOA (not by this group anyway, they do have other groups with that name). So I try the two sources I know to check for physical albums (YesAsia and HanBooks). The latter has nothing for this artist; the former lists both singles, but the first one (Elvis) is "out of stock". So I figure I'll try Soribada again (for the first time in months since they were useless when I first tried them due to licensing restrictions). Well just like everything worthwhile they list there, they "aren't licensed to sell this in my country" for those two songs. {sigh} I also double-checked Amazon MP3 and confirmed they still have virtually nothing in the way of Korean music.

Does anyone else have any good recommendations for other sources to legally acquire Korean music? This isn't the first time I've had trouble finding a song I want from iTunes and would love a backup source.

The Real CZ
United States
Joined 5436 days ago

1069 posts - 1495 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 215 of 479
24 December 2012 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
Source 1
Source 2
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ojorolla
Diglot
Groupie
France
Joined 4752 days ago

90 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 216 of 479
24 December 2012 at 12:22pm | IP Logged 
Melon used to be available to people abroad, but they made it unavailable after copyright holders' request some years ago. I heard Daum Music doesn't work for foreigners either. You have to be able to send money to their Korean bank account. I don't know any other on-line sources, sorry.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 479 messages over 60 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version