Groupie
France
Joined 3900 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 97 of 134
24 March 2014 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
I see, you are suggesting a wiki way to manage the dictionary entries. I didn't thought about that, and I must agree
that's a better way. After all, language
learners need only one good definition, not dozen of low quality definitions.
Of course, as any wiki system, we will need: revisions with multiple versions to be able to rollback modifications,
comment/dicussion area, role and content
moderation, ..
That may need some work, but it seems that this worth the effort. Great idea, thanks!

Just to be sure we are on the same page. The type of definitions I'm talking about is the kind of definitions used by
the famous the Chinese-English dictionary
CEDICT. Not too long like those found in traditional dictionaries, not just a mere translation (when more precisions
are needed). CEDICT examples:
中国 [Zhong1 guo2] China / Middle Kingdom
你好 [ni3 hao3] Hello! / Hi! / How are you?
吃饭 [chi1 fan4] to have a meal / to eat / to make a living     

I really love the CEDICT for its quality, conciseness and its "philosophy". Here is the detailed guideline of the CEDICT:
http://cc-cedict.org/wiki/format:syntax

Like the CEDICT, we will probably use a "Creative Commons" license :)

EDIT: Since a wiki like system is quite heavy for us and the user, I'm not sure yet if that will be implemented.

Edited by Yaan on 24 March 2014 at 4:28pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4992 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 98 of 134
24 March 2014 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
I would like to add some Georgian-English texts from Radio Free Europa, any ideas on what
is their copyright policy (or the overall policy on adding news texts for educational
purposes)?

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3900 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 99 of 134
24 March 2014 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
As for Lingocracy, at the moment we suggest using only documents that are free for re-use (public domain, creative common, and/or when the publisher allows it), otherwise the documents
may be removed any time (e.g. after a copyright infringement report). We are working on the term of use document that will be published soon, sorry about the temporary lack of
information.

Since I'm not sure if your question is about Lingocracy or Radio Free Europa. Here are the details about the later.
About www.rferl.org, it seems that they are quite open. Here is their term of use page: http://www.rferl.org/info/policies/146.html

Quote:
RFE/RL welcomes the re-use, republication, and redistribution of text content published on this website. We also welcome the reposting of RFE/RL content to websites, mailing lists,
newsgroups, and databases on a regular basis. The sale of RFE/RL content, however, is strictly prohibited.

source: http://www.rferl.org/info/policies/146.html

It seems that you are fine on adding their content on Lingocracy for educational purpose.

Something cool will be added in one of our next updates: Dynamic Reading Lists, like the current reading lists, but plugged to dynamic content sources (e.g. news feeds, blogs, etc) so they
are refreshed every day with new content.

Edited by Yaan on 24 March 2014 at 5:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5691 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 100 of 134
24 March 2014 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
The dynamic reading lists sound interesting.

I'm also not sure that a full wiki system is necessary, at least not at this point, but trying to compress everything into one definition if possible i think is a good idea.

I also like (CC-)CEDICT and find their translations are generally much clearer than other dictionaries. And i've been using the CEDICT "format" to add new dictionary entries. If it takes off, perhaps you/we could send the new entries to the CEDICT team to review/consider adding into the main dictionary?

@Expugnator, you can also add personal texts that aren't publicly shared if you're not 100% sure.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4992 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 101 of 134
24 March 2014 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
Yes but as I'm not a native Georgian those personal texts won't be that much useful for
other learners...

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5691 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 102 of 134
25 March 2014 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
By personal texts i mean that you can add a text to your account that only you can read. That way you don't have to worry about copyright stuff as much since it's not publicly available. Click on the "More" button and go to "My Texts", from there you can add texts just for yourself.

Also, i thought i'd share something i saw at Duolingo the other day, a discussion on Lingocracy :) (EDIT: Found another topic about Lingocracy.)

I've seen a few posts mentioning Lingocracy there, looks like word's getting out!

Edited by Crush on 25 March 2014 at 2:42am

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3900 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 103 of 134
25 March 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I'm really excited about the dictionaries, though, as that means i'll start using Lingocracy more often for my other lanuages (Catalan and Basque) as currently they only have Google translate definitions.

Since Basque is the language of the week on Reddit, we created a bunch of interesting texts for language learners.
As for the inflections/lemmas, we are working on that and will come up with a solution soon.

Crush wrote:
If it takes off, perhaps you/we could send the new entries to the CEDICT team to review/consider adding into the main dictionary?

Sure, that a good idea and will certainly lead to larger and better dictionaries.

Crush wrote:
Also, i thought i'd share something i saw at Duolingo the other day, a discussion on Lingocracy :) (EDIT: Found another topic about Lingocracy.)

I've seen a few posts mentioning Lingocracy there, looks like word's getting out!

Great, thanks for those links. I'm glad that more people are talking about Lingocracy, there are many positive comments too. I guess we are on the right track. A lot of things still remain to be done though. :)

Edited by Yaan on 25 March 2014 at 4:25pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4992 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 104 of 134
25 March 2014 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
I see your point, Crush. I may do that with some other texts, indeed.

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version