ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 105 of 134
25 March 2014 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Ahh HTLAL just deleted my post :/

Thanks for adding those lists, unfortunately Google Translate isn't always that great with Basque. I think that for Basque especially inflection is really important. A lot of the auxiliary verbs just get translated as "the" by Google, really there's no translation you can give it. For example, diote literally is something like "they have ... it to him/her/it" and is used with a participle (for example, "eman diote" -- "I gave it to him/her"). The same happens with the cases, for the most part they're ignored.

It's also interesting to see that Basque is the language of the week :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 106 of 134
25 March 2014 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
What if the website itself already has an English version of the article? I'd then like
to be able to add the English translation to be mirrored, even if I'd work on the
Georgian word-by-word afterwards.

Concrete example from Radio Free Liberty

Georgian

English

In this case the match isn't accurate but it may happen quite often. So, for such cases
I'd like to point out that one text is the translation of another/its version in
another language.

Edited by Expugnator on 25 March 2014 at 11:01pm

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3886 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 107 of 134
27 March 2014 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Thanks for adding those lists, unfortunately Google Translate isn't always that great with Basque. I think that for Basque especially inflection is really important. A lot of the auxiliary verbs just get translated as "the" by Google, really there's no
translation you can give it. For example, diote literally is something like "they have ... it to him/her/it" and is used with a participle (for example, "eman diote" -- "I gave it to him/her"). The same happens with the cases, for the most part they're ignored.

One more reason for us to put more priority in dealing with inflected words :)
I guess for verbs, conjugation tables are useful too.

Expugnator wrote:
What if the website itself already has an English version of the article? I'd then like
to be able to add the English translation to be mirrored, even if I'd work on the
Georgian word-by-word afterwards.

Providing full translations is a great idea since it's useful to understand the meaning of the whole text. Something that can't be alway achieved when reading word-by-word.

If I understand you well, you suggest to create links between translations of the same articles similar to what Wikipedia is doing (sidebar).

The best case would be having the translation aligned sentence by sentence, so you don't have to manually search the right sentence. But that's not easy to do.

Does that reflect what you mean?

Edited by Yaan on 27 March 2014 at 10:50am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 108 of 134
27 March 2014 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that would be the point. Now I understand that an average text doesn't consist of a
full side translation, but rather mouse-hover words. There are so many texts already
translated into several languages out there, that it seems like a more accurate task to
get an English translation than to translate it again word by word, which is always
riskier. I understand it's not the main focus now, though.

DS.T
Diglot
Joined 3717 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: French

Message 109 of 134
29 March 2014 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Hi Yan! I've just had a few more days of experience with Lingocracy, and here's what I got from it.
First, there is a bug that I found when I tried to connect a larger unit (say a sentence) with smaller units (say phrases) already in it. It worked when I had my cursor hover on the larger unit and pressed "d" to dismiss the connection. However, when I went on and tried to disconnect the smaller unit, what's in it appeared at the beginning of the page (sometimes in the end,) and I could no longer make any connections within the larger unit, including the unit itself.
For suggestions, I would recommend you implant audios in vocabulary cards. That would make it easier when I go over new words and phrases and feel like listening to the pronunciations. Also, when we look up new words, there are in most cases sentences of usage that go with the word. I wonder if it would be possible to make links on each word of sample sentences to its own entry so that when we don't know the meanings of some words in it, we don't have to look it up elsewhere? It might make the whole system work better and more independently.
Overall I really liked it. I am using Lingocracy as one of the major approaches to my French study now. You've done a really good job. Hat off!

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3886 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 110 of 134
29 March 2014 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Yes, that would be the point. Now I understand that an average text doesn't consist of a full side translation, but rather mouse-hover words. There are so many texts already translated into several languages out there, that it seems like a more accurate task to get
an English translation than to translate it again word by word, which is always riskier. I understand it's not the main focus now, though.

Actually, many users are asking for this, and we will work on this asap. We completely understand the usefulness of it and it's quite feasible.

DS.T wrote:
First, there is a bug that I found when I tried to connect a larger unit (say a sentence) with smaller units (say phrases) already in it. It worked when I had my cursor hover on the larger unit and pressed "d" to dismiss the connection. However, when I went on and tried to
disconnect the smaller unit, what's in it appeared at the beginning of the page (sometimes in the end,) and I could no longer make any connections within the larger unit, including the unit itself.

Do you mind giving me a specific example? (the sentences and words you are trying to connect and the target language, or send me the link of the article when this happens)

DS.T wrote:
I would recommend you implant audios in vocabulary cards.

Sure, that's a good idea, we will work on this.

DS.T wrote:
Also, when we look up new words, there are in most cases sentences of usage that go with the word. I wonder if it would be possible to make links on each word of sample sentences to its own entry so that when we don't know the meanings of some words in it, we don't have
to look it up elsewhere? It might make the whole system work better and more independently.

Do you mean making the words in the example sentences act like the words in the text? So when you hover or click on them you get the definitions?

DS.T wrote:
Overall I really liked it. I am using Lingocracy as one of the major approaches to my French study now. You've done a really good job. Hat off!

Thanks, that's the kind of feedback that makes us wake up the morning :)

Edited by Yaan on 29 March 2014 at 11:13am

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5677 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 111 of 134
30 March 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Yaan wrote:
One more reason for us to put more priority in dealing with inflected words :)
I guess for verbs, conjugation tables are useful too.
Conjugation/case charts would be great!

As for translations, if you do them sentence by sentence it might be nice just to be able to press a button and a pop-up with the translation in English (or another language if someone has translated it to another language) would come up. Or you could display it somehow in the big pop up.

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3886 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 112 of 134
03 April 2014 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
What if the website itself already has an English version of the article? I'd then like to be able to add the English translation to be mirrored, even if I'd work on the Georgian word-by-word afterwards.

Crush wrote:
As for translations, if you do them sentence by sentence it might be nice just to be able to press a button and a pop-up with the translation in English (or another language if someone has translated it to another language) would come up.
Or you could display it somehow in the big pop up.

What do you think about the 3 following ways to add full text translations?

1. Per text basis in two panes, something like Google Translate. Target language on the left and translation on the right.

2. Per paragraph translations with a button at the end of the paragraph that when clicked will show the translation.
Like on : http://www.thefrenchexperiment.com/stories/goldilocks/

3. Per sentence basis, when hovering the punctuation or symbol, it will display the translation. In the following example, the translation appears when I hover the exclamation mark.
Like on : http://www.languageguide.org/french/readings/br/cheremaman/

If you have a fourth better way to do this, let me know :)

In most cases, we will have to do some manual work to align the text and its translation. But I think this is worth to do since once the text is "augmented" like this it will be available to an unlimited number of learners.

Edited by Yaan on 03 April 2014 at 7:08pm

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version