Joined 4968 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 33 of 134
18 February 2014 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Yaan wrote:
Papiamento added, have a look ;) Of course, there are no content yet, but
it will be very helpful if you can add some.
As for Georgian, I need some help though. Could you help by telling me from this list
which caracters should be considered as "letters" that compose words? If possible with
ranges like this: 10A0-10A3, 10A5-10A8 (hexadecimal)
http://jrgraphix.net/r/Unicode/10A0-
10FF

Modern Georgian's 33 letters are comprised in the interval 10D0 - 10F0 .
2 persons have voted this message useful

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3876 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 34 of 134
18 February 2014 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Yaan wrote:
Papiamento added, have a look ;) Of course, there are no content yet, but
it will be very helpful if you can add some.
As for Georgian, I need some help though. Could you help by telling me from this list
which caracters should be considered as "letters" that compose words? If possible with
ranges like this: 10A0-10A3, 10A5-10A8 (hexadecimal)
http://jrgraphix.net/r/Unicode/10A0-
10FF

Modern Georgian's 33 letters are comprised in the interval 10D0 - 10F0 .

Thank you! Georgian is now in the list. Here are two articles:
(make sure to switch your language to Georgian first)
ქართული ენა - ვიკიპედია
iPhone 5S და iPhone 5C ახალი მოდელები "Apple"-სგან

Please let me know, if you encounter any issue.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5667 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 35 of 134
18 February 2014 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
Yaan wrote:
Here is another way to deal with "Grouping distant words", we can implement this at in a global way (not dependent to a text).
1. We know that "call ... out" should be grouped (with help of users or using some sort of premade list).
2. At every instance of "call" followed by a nearby "out", when hovering "call" (or "out") you can view the dictionary entries of "call" as usual, but you can also choose (button somewhere) to view "call ... out" dictionary entry (Even in case of false
positive, since we don't know).
It's up to the learner to deal with false positive, but I think this is not a huge problem, a) because of the low frequency, b) everyone is already doing that all the time, when we click the word "Apple", we see two dictionary entries, one about the
fruit, another about the Apple company, it's up to us to choose.
The benefits of implementing it at global basis (vs per text or word instance) is that a group of words need to be marked/validated once and it will work on every text and benefits to everyone.
That would be great, but i can see it getting complicated when there are multiple possibilities, like "He told me to hand the drugs i found on the table in the park over to the police." hand on, hand in, hand over. In English this situation might not be very common, but maybe in Chinese or some other language (like German) it'll pop up more frequently. Still, i think it's a really good idea and worth looking into :)

The x's show up fine now in Firefox, thanks :)

Then for dictionary entries, how can we add entries? I'm not really sure how copyright works for dictionary entries. A lot of dictionaries have the same translations. Is it ok to use a dictionary as a reference point to base your translation off of? Otherwise, i'm not really sure how to add new words if i don't know what that word means.

Now for some requests: being able to resume an article where you left off (like Readlang). For example, if i've read the first three pages, have the option to automatically open that text on page 4.

And will support be added for pulling the dictionary form of a word for other languages? Like if i want to look up "metges" in Catalan, it would search the dictionary for the singular form "metge" or searching "parlar" when clicking on "parles". I believe there are lots of open-source spell checkers which might be of use, such as hunspell. The dictionaries are available for tons of languages (and a Basque spellchecker is available here from the Basque government).

EDIT: I also see the flags are fixed, great :)
I haven't checked yet, but what happens for languages that are spoken in multiple countries? Eg. English, Arabic, Spanish, French, German, etc.

And how about a way to change the language of an imported text? If i was studying Chinese previously but find a Basque article i want to import, i have to change my language to Basque before i can import the article.

Also, what about converting pinyin numbers into the diacritic marks (´`˘) when adding in the pronunciation to a dictionary entry?

Edited by Crush on 18 February 2014 at 11:07pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3876 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 36 of 134
19 February 2014 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Then for dictionary entries, how can we add entries? I'm not really sure how copyright works for dictionary entries. A lot of dictionaries have the same translations. Is it ok to use a dictionary as a reference point to base your
translation off of? Otherwise, i'm not really sure how to add new words if i don't know what that word means.

Let's distinguish two kinds of dictionary entries:
- Monolingual entries (aka definitions in our case) e.g. Language -> Language is the human capacity for acquiring and using complex systems of communication, ...
- Bilingual entries (aka one or multiple translations) e.g. 你好 -> Hello / Hi

As for monolingual entries, in found some answers on the internet, they converge to this:
"there is a low threshold for copyright eligibility"
source 1
source 2
source 3
source 4

I'm not copyright lawyer, but common sense tell me that if a monolingual dictionary definition has "low threshold for copyright eligibility", bilingual translations are likely to be even less copyrightable.
中国 -> China / Middle Kingdom
你好 -> Hello / Hi
Goodbye -> Au revoir / Adieu

Moreover, single word translations seems to be a kind of fact:
"Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed." source: copyright.gov

Hopefully, at Lingocracy the most useful kind of dictionary entries at Bilingual entries.
Things related to copyright will be explained more clearly in a FAQ soon.

Crush wrote:
Now for some requests: being able to resume an article where you left off (like Readlang). For example, if i've read the first three pages, have the option to automatically open that text on page 4.

Thank you for the suggestion. Added to the todo list.

Crush wrote:
And will support be added for pulling the dictionary form of a word for other languages? Like if i want to look up "metges" in Catalan, it would search the dictionary for the singular form "metge" or searching "parlar" when
clicking on "parles". I believe there are lots of open-source spell checkers which might be of use, such as hunspell. The dictionaries are available for tons of languages (and a Basque spellchecker is available here from the Basque
government).

At the moment, hopefully, Word Reference is doing this quite well for several languages.
But of course, for the other languages, what you are suggesting is very interesting and we will work on that.
It shouldn't be technically not difficult to create links betweens "words" and their "base form".
What's difficult is finding reliable sources and doing it for 50 languages ;)

Crush wrote:
I haven't checked yet, but what happens for languages that are spoken in multiple countries? Eg. English, Arabic, Spanish, French, German, etc.

Yes, I am aware of flags are not languages, and there are some fierce discussion on the issue. (http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/flags.html)
But flags makes the UI/navigation easier for the user, that's why we are using them.

Crush wrote:
And how about a way to change the language of an imported text? If i was studying Chinese previously but find a Basque article i want to import, i have to change my language to Basque before i can import the article.

I thought about that too, I was waiting for some sort of confirmation. I add this on the todo list. Thanks.

Crush wrote:
Also, what about converting pinyin numbers into the diacritic marks (´`˘) when adding in the pronunciation to a dictionary entry?

Also added to the todo list, but it's a bit less urgent than other things.

Edited by Yaan on 19 February 2014 at 11:22am

1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5667 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 37 of 134
19 February 2014 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Great, that's what i figured for bilingual entries.

As for finding the dictionary form, the morphology dictionaries (the .aff file) are included with the Hunspell dictionaries at the link i posted. I don't know how many languages are there, but there are quite a few. Most (all?) of them are released under the GPL.

EDIT: For the flashcard program, i feel like the "next" button is unnecessary. I think it might work better for it to advance the screen automatically, or at least give some keyboard controls to advance. I think it would make the flashcards go by much more quickly

Edited by Crush on 19 February 2014 at 7:42am

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3876 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 38 of 134
19 February 2014 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
The new language switcher is great, it just displays the wrong flag for Estonian. You might want to change that.

Fixed. We now use the same language flags as Tatoeba.

Henkkles wrote:
I would also be forever grateful if you could add Northern Saami, the problem being that there are no dictionaries with English as the other language, but there are fantastic online dictionaries with Norwegian and Finnish bases that can be found here and
here. The former actually enables extraction of morphological data, as in which is the base form of the word and which inflected form the word is in.

This is what their "about" page says:

Open-Source

Everything here is based on open-source tools. Do you have an idea for an app or research project that needs linguistic resources? Visit Giellatekno's website for information on how to get access to lexicon files, and morphological and syntactic analyzers.

I understand that this is likely a very low priority thanks to there not even being a Google translate but I figured that if I express my wish then at least it's noted.

Since Northern Saami is based on Latin Script, it should be quite easy to add. But adding it without Google Translate and a proper dictionary is not very useful. We are also plugged to Gosble, but it's less reliable and have merely 2k entries for Northern Sami to English.

We plan on making some heavy changes on the application to make it easier to integrate new dictionaries from various sources. Once the heavy work is done, adding new languages and dictionaries will substantially easier.
In this process, we may also add support for other features discussed earlier like conjugation, word inflection, ...

Edited by Yaan on 19 February 2014 at 1:01pm

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3876 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 39 of 134
19 February 2014 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Great, that's what i figured for bilingual entries.

As for finding the dictionary form, the morphology dictionaries (the .aff file) are included with the Hunspell dictionaries at the link i posted. I don't know how many languages are there, but there are quite a few. Most
(all?) of
them are released under the GPL.

Thanks. We have to look closer to how Hunspell data is organized, and make some research on how we can put this in practice. A priori this should be feasible.

Crush wrote:
EDIT: For the flashcard program, i feel like the "next" button is unnecessary. I think it might work better for it to advance the screen automatically, or at least give some keyboard controls to advance. I
think it
would make the flashcards go by much more quickly

Some people will probably need to stop by and study the word before attacking the next word.
Keyboard shortcut seems to be a better solution. That will be part of the changes related to keyboard shortcuts (request on our uservoice).

Edited by Yaan on 19 February 2014 at 2:34pm

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5667 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 40 of 134
19 February 2014 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
Then another option might be just to turn the button you just clicked on into a "next" button, so you don't need to move the mouse ;)

There's also some information here about how the dictionaries are formatted.

I'm curious to see what the changes to more easily add new dictionaries result in. For now i've only been adding entries for Chinese since i don't have to worry about adding an entry for every single conjugated form. I'd like to build up some small dictionaries for Basque and Catalan, too, though.

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version