Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5667 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 9 of 134
12 February 2014 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
I just added a text but it doesn't show up in "My Texts". I can see it when i search for it, though.

A lot of the Chinese children's stories have tons of English in them, too.

Also, for custom definitions it would be nice if it were only made the default definition for that one word in that one sentence in that one article. I just read the Chinese article on the pencil and wasn't sure if 芯 should be pronounced with a high tone or a falling tone. I figured it was the fourth tone, but in another context that might not be the case.

And what about adding in multi-language support (ie the option to quickly switch to and see information on the other languages you're studying)?

It looks nice and i hope it keeps growing :) Ah, and what about a way for "personal" texts, for example a text from an e-book we bought?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3876 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 10 of 134
12 February 2014 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:

I just added a text but it doesn't show up in "My Texts". I can see it when i search for it, though.

It's a bug, sorry about that. It's repaired now, and should work as expected now. Thanks for pointing this out.

Crush wrote:

A lot of the Chinese children's stories have tons of English in them, too.

This is because the original article contains some English explanations about the Chinese text.
Usually, the same article without the English explanations exist too on the web. I guess, it's maybe better that one since English texts inside the article seems a bit confusing.

Crush wrote:

Also, for custom definitions it would be nice if it were only made the default definition for that one word in that one sentence in that one article. I just read the Chinese article on the
pencil and wasn't sure if 芯 should be pronounced with a high tone or a falling tone. I figured it was the fourth tone, but in another context that might not be the case.

Agree. This is somewhat related to what Lizzern said earlier about contextual definitions.
That would be definitely useful, we will work on that feature.

Crush wrote:

And what about adding in multi-language support (ie the option to quickly switch to and see information on the other languages you're studying)?

You mean, some sort of small dashboard where you can view all the languages your are learning at the same time? With basic info like total number of words?

Crush wrote:

It looks nice and i hope it keeps growing :) Ah, and what about a way for "personal" texts, for example a text from an e-book we bought?

The "My texts" section is already doing that for short texts.
Yes, we are definitely considering adding support for ebooks.

Edited by Yaan on 12 February 2014 at 2:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6399 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 134
12 February 2014 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
Yaan wrote:
Crush wrote:

You mean, some sort of small dashboard where you can view all the languages your are learning at the same time? With basic info like total number of words?
Maybe Crush meant something else, but it would be certainly nice to just list which languages you are learning and choose from them without going to the "which language are you learning?" window and changing it for every session. Language could be part of the filter for example.

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3876 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 12 of 134
12 February 2014 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Maybe Crush meant something else, but it would be certainly nice to just list which languages you are learning and choose from them without going to the "which language are you learning?"
window and changing it for every session. Language could be part of the filter for example.

Yes, I totally agree. I'm learning/improving 3 languages and spend lot of time switching languages. At currently state, it's quite time consuming to change language, especially for those that are not in the first list.
So, yes, we plan to make it simpler. Ideally some sort of one click switch language. Integrating the languages to the filters is a very interesting idea!

Edited by Yaan on 12 February 2014 at 11:38pm

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5667 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 13 of 134
12 February 2014 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, my idea is what Serpent explained. Basically, right now there's a box next to your username that lists the language you're studying. I think clicking on that should give you a dropdown list of all languages you're currently studying, with the last item being an "Add Another Language" option. That way you can quickly switch between languages. It'd also be nice to see stats organized by language in the Language Profile. A graph showing all languages would be interesting, too. For example, selecting the "All" button you'd see a graph showing all words you've studied with a different colored line per language, clicking "Known" would show you the amount of known words per language, etc. Not too important, but it'd be cool to get an idea how your languages compare.

Also, i still don't see texts i've added in the "My Texts" section.

And how can i add texts by copy-pasting an article? Pulling it from a website doesn't catch the line breaks and it all shows up as one long paragraph. It also seems to pull the title from the browser title bar, which isn't always the proper name.

As for the personal texts, i was mostly talking about adding copyrighted content that you probably wouldn't want shared with everyone (unless you're hosted someplace with lax copyright laws :D). For example, uploading a Harry Potter chapter.

Overall, the interface feels really nice :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6238 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 134
13 February 2014 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
I really like this website, but I see some room for improvement.

In German version, when testing for vocabulary after reading the text, the capital
letters of nouns are left out.

Some of the translations are inaccurate (e.g. abspielte = "happening"??), but I guess
users can improve it with Add entry feature.

I hope more texts are available, especially for higher difficulty levels.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4055 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 134
13 February 2014 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
It would be magnificent if one could link the separable prefix and the verb together in the German somehow, so that they would be translated as one chunk and one could see them both highlighted once clicking on either.

The Icelandic library has two entries of which the other one is in English, how can I report such stuff?

In any case I registered and I'm very pleased with it thus far, I see a lot of potential. Once the libraries grow enough and there is going to be support for audio (I didn't see any such yet?) it'll be close to perfect.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3876 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 16 of 134
13 February 2014 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
@Crush
Crush wrote:
Yeah, my idea is what Serpent explained. Basically, right now there's a box next to your username that lists
the language you're studying. I think clicking on that should give you a dropdown list of all languages you're currently
studying, with the last item being an "Add Another Language" option. That way you can quickly switch between languages.

Ok, got it. This is abosolutely a must have for multilingual learners (including myself). Will work on that very soon. Added to
our todo list :)

Crush wrote:
It'd also be nice to see stats organized by language in the Language Profile. A graph showing all languages
would be interesting, too. For example, selecting the "All" button you'd see a graph showing all words you've studied with a
different colored line per language, clicking "Known" would show you the amount of known words per language, etc. Not
too important, but it'd be cool to get an idea how your languages compare.

Yes. That's a good way to have an overview of all the languages at once. Thanks for the suggestion.

Crush wrote:
Also, i still don't see texts i've added in the "My Texts" section.

By "texts I've added", you mean you have added a url/plugin or a text via My Texts section (+ button)?
When you add an article via url (or plugin), it's visible on the Read section.
On the other hand, texts added via My Texts add button (+ button) are only visible by you in My Texts section.

Crush wrote:
And how can i add texts by copy-pasting an article? Pulling it from a website doesn't catch the line breaks
and it all shows up as one long paragraph. It also seems to pull the title from the browser title bar, which isn't always the
proper name.

There is a + button in the My Texts section. Does that answer your question?
When possible, it's better to add text in the shared section via url/plugin. That way others will see the article and benefit
from it.
Of course, as you said, sometime it doesn't work well because the source article is not well formatted. We are improving our
algorithm that take care of this.

@Jiwon
Jiwon wrote:
In German version, when testing for vocabulary after reading the text, the capital
letters of nouns are left out.

I'm not sure to understand what you mean. Do you mind explaning a bit more with an example or/and screenshot, if
possible?

Jiwon wrote:
Some of the translations are inaccurate (e.g. abspielte = "happening"??), but I guess users can improve it
with Add entry feature.

Yes, counting on you for improving things :)

@Henkkles
Henkkles wrote:
It would be magnificent if one could link the separable prefix and the verb together in the German
somehow, so that they would be translated as one chunk and one could see them both highlighted once clicking on either.

This is very very hard to put in practice, but we are going to try anyway because we love challenges!

Henkkles wrote:
The Icelandic library has two entries of which the other one is in English, how can I report such stuff?

You can use the green bubble question mark at the button right.

It's a general purpose feedback/repport button to contact us. The good thing using that button is that we will have the
details of the page where the bug happend (url) and you can attach a screenshot of the page in one click.

Henkkles wrote:
In any case I registered and I'm very pleased with it thus far, I see a lot of potential. Once the libraries
grow enough and there is going to be support for audio (I didn't see any such yet?) it'll be close to perfect.

Audio is planned, work in progress. :)

Edited by Yaan on 13 February 2014 at 3:59pm

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version