61 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 49 of 134
22 February 2014 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
Yaan wrote:

I'm not sure to understand :)
Currently Icelandic Text to Speech is not supported.

That is the thing, it spoke Icelandic words as if they were French! It's gone now so apparently it's been fixed though.

This may also happen when you open two browser tabs at the same time with two different languages.
If on tab1 you open a Spanish text, and then you open tab2 and switch Italian. At this point, the server consider you are learning Italian. So if you go back to tab1 and click on a Spanish word, it will be
pronounced with an Italian voice.
More importantly, it may also save the Spanish words in your Italian vocabulary list...
We will find a solution to this, but in the meantime, this should be avoided.

Crush wrote:
What new keyboard shortcuts are there for the reading interface? The practice page is much nicer now :)

Keyboard shortcuts are indicated near the corresponding button. Shortcuts are active on the currently hovered word. To sum up:
1: change level to easy
2: change level to medium
3: change level to difficult
4: change level to known
i: mark as ignored
d: delete (revert back to new) / split (for group of words)

Crush wrote:
Also, i added a text to my private texts, but it wasn't split into pages, it's one long page. I added it a few days ago since all the texts used the <pre> tags and were getting odd formatting.
Maybe the process has changed since, i'm just not sure if that's normal, though.

The support for <pre> should be better by now. Unfortunately, you may need to save again the texts you imported earlier.

Crush wrote:
I haven't tried the last page remembered yet since the text i'm currently reading is really long and all on one page, but i'm glad to hear it's been added!

Pagination has been improved a little bit too. So you shouldn't get such long texts now.

Crush wrote:
Thanks for all the work you've been doing on the site!

Quite opposite, we should thank you.

Crush wrote:
EDIT: You really need a way to edit shared texts. I just posted a text and somehow the icon is a picture of a girl in a bikini (and
another girl without a bikini). I'm not really sure where it came from or how it got there, but it would be nice to be able to remove it ;)

Actually, you can edit the image, just switch to "advanced mode" when adding/editing a text:

You can edit by adding the url again, but to make things easier, an "edit" button has been added (only for text you have added).

For the moment, only the first person who have imported an URL can edit the text. If more people can edit, it's hard to manage multiple versions, we are not wikipedia :) Users can "repport" in case someone
else have inadequately modified an article.

Edited by Yaan on 22 February 2014 at 7:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ihoop
United States
Joined 4412 days ago

29 posts - 66 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 50 of 134
23 February 2014 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Your website looks great! Any chance we might see traditional Chinese characters as an
option in the future?

I am studying traditional characters, so simplified characters are of little use to me
right now. I have a chrome add on made by NJStar that converts simplified characters
into traditional ones, but for some reason it won't work with you webpage. Anyway, if it
might be an option in the future please let me know!   Thanks for providing this
resource.

-Ian
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5667 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 51 of 134
23 February 2014 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Yaan wrote:
You can edit by adding the url again, but to make things easier, an "edit" button has been added (only for text you have added).
[..img removed..]

Will adding a text with the same URL overwrite the previous text? If so, then i will just re-add all the texts i've already uploaded.

I've also noticed a bunch of other little fixes here and there, i don't seem to have as much of a problem with it showing the definition for the previous word, for example, though i've had it happen a few times. It's nowhere near as bad as before, though. Sometimes it'll briefly display the previous word before switching to the correct word, sometimes it will just switch to the previous word like before. I can't seem to make it happen regularly. It seems to happen more frequently when the three dots appear under a word and i switch to another word. It also feels slightly faster today, but maybe that has more to do with fluctuations in my internet speed here.

Another thing that's not super important but is a little annoying sometimes is that i'd rather just have it load up my previous settings when i load the page. It seems to remember the last category i chose, but it doesn't remember whether i was in Popular, New, Recent, or By Me. It would also be nice to see a list of texts you're currently reading, perhaps even a list by language so i could see every text i'm reading in every language (maybe with the option to remove a text from the list?). That way you could easily switch between texts and languages.

EDIT: Is there a way to delete texts from My Texts?

Edited by Crush on 23 February 2014 at 4:15am

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3876 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 52 of 134
23 February 2014 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
ihoop wrote:
Your website looks great! Any chance we might see traditional Chinese characters as an
option in the future?

I am studying traditional characters, so simplified characters are of little use to me
right now. I have a chrome add on made by NJStar that converts simplified characters
into traditional ones, but for some reason it won't work with you webpage. Anyway, if it
might be an option in the future please let me know!   Thanks for providing this
resource.

Yes, absolutely, Traditional Chinese will be supported soon. Work in progress.
The reading interface is not a simple text, quite opposite, what's happening under the hood is very complex. So it's not suprising that NJStar has some difficulties to deal with it.

Crush wrote:
Will adding a text with the same URL overwrite the previous text? If so, then i will just re-add all the texts i've already uploaded.

If you are the one who imported the text, adding the URL again will just redirect you to the preview/edit page, but this won't override the text.
In case you are not the first one who have added the url, it will just open the text. If the content has some problems (formatting, etc) you can't edit the text, but you can make a repport to signal the
problem.

Crush wrote:
I've also noticed a bunch of other little fixes here and there, i don't seem to have as much of a problem with it showing the definition for the previous word, for example, though i've had
it happen a few times. It's nowhere near as bad as before, though. Sometimes it'll briefly display the previous word before switching to the correct word, sometimes it will just switch to the previous word
like before. I can't seem to make it happen regularly. It seems to happen more frequently when the three dots appear under a word and i switch to another word. It also feels slightly faster today, but
maybe that has more to do with fluctuations in my internet speed here.

Yes, there are still some room for improvement :) Got it, we will try to fix that asap.

Crush wrote:
Another thing that's not super important but is a little annoying sometimes is that i'd rather just have it load up my previous settings when i load the page. It seems to remember the last
category i chose, but it doesn't remember whether i was in Popular, New, Recent, or By Me.

Yes, you are right, currently the tab Popular/New/Recent/By Me is not remembered.
May I ask you some detail about your use case related to this? is there a tab that you visit more frequently?

Crush wrote:
It would also be nice to see a list of texts you're currently reading, perhaps even a list by language so i could see every text i'm reading in every language (maybe with the option to
remove a text from the list?). That way you could easily switch between texts and languages.

I guess, what you want is a place where you can quickly view your "active" texts, with the possibility to add/remove texts from the list. That way you can switch quickly between the texts you are
currently reading. A kind of Read later list or favorite list. (and optionally a list with texts in all languages.) Am I right?

Crush wrote:
EDIT: Is there a way to delete texts from My Texts?

Yes, just edit the text and you will see a delete button.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5667 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 53 of 134
23 February 2014 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Yaan wrote:
If you are the one who imported the text, adding the URL again will just redirect you to the preview/edit page, but this won't override the text.
In case you are not the first one who have added the url, it will just open the text. If the content has some problems (formatting, etc) you can't edit the text, but you can make a report to signal the problem.
Ah ok. Also, the text at the bottom to "report the article" is several lines (maybe 10-15) below the bottom of the text. It also says something about the left-right bubble, i'm not really sure what that's supposed to mean. There's a bubble on the bottom right for making suggestions, i assume this also doubles as a way to report articles.

Yaan wrote:
Yes, there are still some room for improvement :) Got it, we will try to fix that asap.
Thanks, it's already much better than before :)

Yaan wrote:
Yes, you are right, currently the tab Popular/New/Recent/By Me is not remembered. May I ask you some detail about your use case related to this? is there a tab that you visit more frequently?
I generally go to texts i've added.

Yaan wrote:
I guess, what you want is a place where you can quickly view your "active" texts, with the possibility to add/remove texts from the list. That way you can switch quickly between the texts you are currently reading. A kind of Read later list or favorite list. (and optionally a list with texts in all languages.) Am I right?
Exactly. I just checked the "Recent" page and that's a nice start, though i feel like 10 might be a better limit as texts i've just added often push out the texts i'm actually reading off the first page. And a list organized by language would be really great, too!

Yaan wrote:
Yes, just edit the text and you will see a delete button.
Thanks, i hadn't thought to open it first.

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4991 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 54 of 134
26 February 2014 at 7:59pm | IP Logged 
Is anyone still using Lingocracy? It seems there are still only 5 published texts available in Russian. I have read 3 of them (they are mostly quite difficult for me) and I don't feel like practising the vocabulary any further at the moment, I want more texts to read!

I have added some long texts but I made them private, for copyright reasons. I will try to find another easy public text to add later but it would be a bit more encouraging if there were any signs of other Russian students building a community there!

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5667 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 55 of 134
27 February 2014 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
The best way would be to start adding texts of your own to attract more Russian learners :)

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5667 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 56 of 134
28 February 2014 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
Another bug that happens fairly often is that the "Set as favorite" text stays up when i click on a star to set the default definition. To get it to disappear i have to open up the big definition box and mouse over a star.

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version