France
Joined 3876 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 41 of 134
20 February 2014 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Then another option might be just to turn the button you just clicked on into a "next"
button, so you don't need to move the mouse ;)

Don't worry, we will find a nice way to deal with that.

Crush wrote:
There's also some information
here about how
the dictionaries are formatted.

Thanks. After reading the document a while, Hunspell seems not to be the right tool. It's designed for
spellchecking, not deflecting words.
e.g. it won't tell you that the base form of "were" is "be".

Crush wrote:
I'm curious to see what the changes to more easily add new dictionaries result in.

Not sure yet, but, something like a simple form where you can enter
CSV dictionary entries should be
enough.
Of course, before that, it's maybe wiser to solve the word inflection issue.

Crush wrote:
For now i've only been adding entries for Chinese since i don't have to worry about
adding an entry for every single conjugated form. I'd like to build up some small dictionaries for
Basque and Catalan, too, though.

Thank you for the question. It gave me a good idea, why not use linkable words in definitions entries.
(as most online dict does!)

e.g. "ate" -> past of <eat>

The word <eat> is a link, and behave like any word in the text:
- hover shows you the simple favorite/default dict entry
- click shows full definition popup

So in our case, hovering "eat" will show use "consume food"

Edited by Yaan on 20 February 2014 at 12:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5667 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 42 of 134
20 February 2014 at 4:33am | IP Logged 
Hunspell is used in Goldendict to pull up dictionary entries. For example, if you type in "ate" or "eating" it would pull up the dictionary entry for eat. Maybe you could also use it to classify things by tense, person, etc. There might be something simpler, but perhaps you could pull a few ideas from there. Take the Spanish word "sentir" for example:
sentir/fDnXaPp (lower case letters correspond to prefixes, uppercase to suffixes)

(We'll skip the prefixes)

SFX D Y 12
SFX D r do [aií]r    //replace the "r" with do = sentido
SFX D r dos [aií]r   //sentidos
SFX D r da [aií]r    //sentida
SFX D r das [aií]r   //sentidas
... (the other 8 correspond to er verbs)

SFX X Y 1167
SFX X r mos [ei]r        //sentimos
SFX X ir ís [^u]ir       //sentís
SFX X entir iento entir   //siento
SFX X entir ientes entir //sientes
SFX X entir iente entir   //siente
SFX X entir ienten entir //sienten
SFX X ir ía ir        //sentía
SFX X ir ías ir        //sentías
SFX X ir íamos ir      //sentíamos
SFX X ir íais ir        //sentíais
SFX X ir ían ir        //sentían
SFX X ir í [^cn]ir       //sentí
SFX X r ste [^cn]ir      //sentiste
SFX X r steis [^cn]ir     //sentisteis
SFX X entir ienta entir   //sienta
SFX X entir ientas entir //sientas
SFX X entir intamos entir //sintamos
SFX X entir intáis entir //sintáis
SFX X entir ientan entir //sientan
SFX X entir intió entir   //sintió
SFX X entir intieron entir   //sintieron
...etc

SFX P Y 4
SFX P r miento [ai]r     //sentimiento
SFX P r mientos [ai]r    //sentimientos

You can see how you can build all of it's forms from the base infinitive form. You might not want to use their system exactly, and i don't know how exactly Goldendict uses it, i just know that with Goldendict i can type in a Russian verb in any conjugation and it will look for the infinitive. There are also free open source morphology dictionaries for a good number of languages already, which is much less work than making your own ;) If you do decide on a format, though, i wouldn't mind working on some basic morphology dictionaries for the languages i'm most familiar with.

As for linkable entries, i think it'd be better to just have it on one screen:
"ate" -> past of <eat>
-consume food

At least for me on a fairly fast internet connection it takes a second or two to load the definition so i'd rather just see it immediately than have to wait for another definition to load. I do like the idea of displaying tense, person, plurality, case, etc. with the definition though.

Also, i've found that if you drag the mouse from one word to the next, it first displays the word i'm currently highlighting then switches to the other words definition. For example: "现在不行" My mouse moves from 现在 to 不行, it'll show me 不行's definition then switch to 现在's definition. So i'm hovering 不行 but seeing the definition for 不行.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3876 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 43 of 134
20 February 2014 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Seems you are right. I was only testing with en_GB.dic (40k rules) that doesn't contain all the rules. The en_US.dic has much more rules (70k rules) e.g. "ate st:eat" (meaning that eat is the base form of ate). The en_US.dic is the one used by GoldenDict.

With this new info, it seems that we can get a similar result to GoldenDict. The good think about using an open format like Hunspell is that there are plenty of existing ressources that we can use. However, it will require some time to analyse and implement this.
Yes, once the implementation is done, we will need to create/improve morphological dictionaries.

This should be what you see, once what discussed above is implemented:
ate: past of <eat>
eat: consume food

For the moment, a link system may be already useful:
ate: past of <eat>

Crush wrote:
Also, i've found that if you drag the mouse from one word to the next, it first displays the word i'm currently highlighting then switches to the other words definition.
For example: "现在不行" My mouse moves from 现在 to 不行, it'll show me 不行's definition then switch to 现在's definition. So i'm hovering 不行 but seeing the definition for 不行.

Yes, quite annoying. We will fix that :)

Edited by Yaan on 20 February 2014 at 4:10pm

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5667 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 44 of 134
21 February 2014 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
I just added a new article but it doesn't seem to recognize any of the worlds (No translation/definition found). Sometimes it displays odd characters, for example "ѧ" when i hover over 学习. Seems something isn't quite how it should be...

And i imagine it's a lot of work to do, but it would be really great though and would be much closer to what my ideal reading application would be!

EDIT: Reloading the browser seems to have fixed the "no definition" thing. I'm not sure what happened.

Edited by Crush on 21 February 2014 at 2:26am

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4055 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 45 of 134
21 February 2014 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
Some problems I encountered:

When I tried to edit the definition, the letters "i" and "d" (possibly among others) didn't work, so I figured they might be colliding with some hotkeys or something. Can the hotkeys be switched off when editing a definition?

The audio for Icelandic reach all words in French, which is a bit curious and not very useful.

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3876 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 46 of 134
21 February 2014 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
EDIT: Reloading the browser seems to have fixed the "no definition" thing. I'm not sure what
happened.

Cool, let me know if that happen again.

Henkkles wrote:
When I tried to edit the definition, the letters "i" and "d" (possibly among others) didn't work,
so I figured they might be colliding with some hotkeys or something. Can the hotkeys be switched
off when editing a definition?

Thank you for pointing out the bug. Should be fixed by now :)

Henkkles wrote:
The audio for Icelandic reach all words in French, which is a bit curious and not very useful.

I'm not sure to understand :)
Currently Icelandic Text to Speech is not supported.

Some updates: 1) Keyboard shortcuts for reading interface (level change, split,..) and Practice exercice page, 2)
last read page is remembered.

Edited by Yaan on 21 February 2014 at 5:20pm

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4055 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 47 of 134
21 February 2014 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Yaan wrote:

I'm not sure to understand :)
Currently Icelandic Text to Speech is not supported.

That is the thing, it spoke Icelandic words as if they were French! It's gone now so apparently it's been fixed though.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5667 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 48 of 134
21 February 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
What new keyboard shortcuts are there for the reading interface? The practice page is much nicer now :)

Also, i added a text to my private texts, but it wasn't split into pages, it's one long page. I added it a few days ago since all the texts used the <pre> tags and were getting odd formatting. Maybe the process has changed since, i'm just not sure if that's normal, though.

I haven't tried the last page remembered yet since the text i'm currently reading is really long and all on one page, but i'm glad to hear it's been added!

Thanks for all the work you've been doing on the site!

EDIT: You really need a way to edit shared texts. I just posted a text and somehow the icon is a picture of a girl in a bikini (and another girl without a bikini). I'm not really sure where it came from or how it got there, but it would be nice to be able to remove it ;)

Edited by Crush on 21 February 2014 at 11:34pm

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version