Groupie
France
Joined 3886 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 73 of 134
10 March 2014 at 1:32pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I see. However, imo, searching among the existing texts and grouping them is not necessarily easier than
creating a new list :)

Crush wrote:
Also, will there be a link to the lists on the main page soon?

Actually, there is more than that. Have a look, the website has been updated few hours ago.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 74 of 134
10 March 2014 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
Well, if you've already added the texts you don't need to go find them again. Otherwise, you're just copying and pasting everything again. Creating new lists with texts that haven't been uploaded is probably about the same, but i think it'd be easier to add texts that have already been added than find them again.

I just saw the new site and it looks great, though it took me a little while to find where the old texts had been moved to (under the "more" button). I guess the new focus will be more on lists than individual texts?

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3886 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 75 of 134
11 March 2014 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
I got your point, I agree it could be easier to transfert some of the texts. We will try to come up with something that
can make this easier, but it's not for sure since it require a significant amount of work/time. Time that could maybe
better spent on working on features previously suggested :)

I'm glad you like the last update of the website.
We think that reading lists are more organized, hence more useful for discovering content than standalone articles.
Of course, you can still use the url import and plugins as usual. Have some thoughts about this new focus? :)

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5677 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 76 of 134
11 March 2014 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
Ah, i didn't think it would be that difficult, mostly just pulling the text from one and pasting it into the other, but you're right, i would rather have some of the other features than this.

Personally i've been using the site more for reading books, so it's great for me. However, i think a lot of people do use it to read articles and things, so i'm not sure whether hiding the articles in the "More" button is a good idea or not. Maybe they should also be on the Browse page (in a separate tab)?

I'd also still like a way to mark a chapter as read, it would be much easier to continue reading. Or perhaps a "continue reading list" option where you would jump to where you left off.

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3886 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 77 of 134
13 March 2014 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Personally i've been using the site more for reading books, so it's great for me. However, i think a
lot of people do use it to read articles and things, so i'm not sure whether hiding the articles in the "More" button is
a good idea or not. Maybe they should also be on the Browse page (in a separate tab)?.

Yes, I agree that it should be made a bit more visible and accessible. Thank you for your suggestion to make it
available on the Browse page, that's a great idea. Work are working on that.

Crush wrote:
I'd also still like a way to mark a chapter as read, it would be much easier to continue reading. Or
perhaps a "continue reading list" option where you would jump to where you left off.

Yes, we also though about this, and it's work in progress.
- Marking chapters as read
- Adding a shortcut link on the top to access the last read text (and the next one) so you don't have to scroll.

Edited by Yaan on 13 March 2014 at 10:49am

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5677 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 78 of 134
13 March 2014 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
I like the two shortcut ideas. You could maybe just have a "Open next unfinished text" or something, which would jump to the next text that wasn't marked as finished.

Also, i still get the previous definition showing up when i hover a new word sometimes, though i can't quite seem to figure out what causes it. A lot of times, the previous definition will display briefly and then switch to the new (correct) one.

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3886 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 79 of 134
15 March 2014 at 4:18pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I like the two shortcut ideas. You could maybe just have a "Open next unfinished text" or something,
which would jump to the next text that wasn't marked as finished.

This should be implemented very soon.
Now you can see if a text is read/unread, the "play icon" is gray when a text is already read..

Crush wrote:
Also, i still get the previous definition showing up when i hover a new word sometimes, though i
can't quite seem to figure out what causes it. A lot of times, the previous definition will display briefly and then
switch to the new (correct) one.

Sorry about that. Now this should definitely not happen again. Let me know if that's not the case :)

Reading lists can now be viewed even if you are not logged. e.g. http://www.lingocracy.com/a/lists/cmn
Switching languages is also faster than before, cool for people learning more than one language at time.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5677 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 80 of 134
15 March 2014 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Hmm, in my list the first 6 texts (which i've already read) have a blue arrow whereas the ones i haven't read are all gray. Is a text marked read as soon as you open it? I think it would be better to be able to toggle read/not read, perhaps by clicking on the arrow? Then on the last page, you could have the option to mark all blue words as read and close the text, marking the text as red.

EDIT: Also, i haven't checked the other things out yet, i'll let you know after i read a bit today. Thanks for looking into it, though!

Edited by Crush on 15 March 2014 at 4:27pm

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version