Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4978 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 113 of 134
03 April 2014 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
I like the mouse hover option, but there should be a way to select which translation
you'd want, of course.

Let's suppose there is a text which is available in 35 languages at the site, like the
Universal Human Rights Declaration. I decide to use it to learn 'French', so I go to the
French texts and select it. Then the system might inform me there are translations
available for that text, and promptly asks me which one I want, Spanish, for example. So
we have the French text to be worked on, with a Spanish translation to support.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3886 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Mandarin
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 114 of 134
03 April 2014 at 10:49pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I like the mouse hover option, but there should be a way to select which translation you'd
want, of course.

Let's suppose there is a text which is available in 35 languages at the site, like the Universal Human Rights
Declaration. I decide to use it to learn 'French', so I go to the French texts and select it. Then the system might
inform me there are translations available for
that text, and promptly asks me which one I want, Spanish, for example. So we have the French text to be worked
on, with a Spanish translation to support.

I guess, that shouldn't be problem since you already have chosen your target language and your dictionary
language. The text translation language should be logically based on your dictionary languages.
Let's say you learn Spanish and your dictionary language is English. In that case, while reading a Spanish text, the
translation will be in English.

On top of that it's possible to optionnally allow a rapid switching of the translation language, but I think a such
option shouldn't be used often.

Thanks for the hint about the "Universal Human Rights Declaration" we should definitely create a reading list of it for
each language.

Edited by Yaan on 03 April 2014 at 10:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

DS.T
Diglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3717 days ago

5 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: French

Message 115 of 134
04 April 2014 at 2:57am | IP Logged 

DS.T wrote:
First, there is a bug that I found when I tried to connect a larger unit (say a sentence) with smaller units (say phrases) already in it. It worked when I had my cursor hover on the larger unit and pressed "d" to dismiss the connection. However, when I went on and tried to
disconnect the smaller unit, what's in it appeared at the beginning of the page (sometimes in the end,) and I could no longer make any connections within the larger unit, including the unit itself.

Do you mind giving me a specific example? (the sentences and words you are trying to connect and the target language, or send me the link of the article when this happens)
The problem never popped up again recently. I believe it's been fixed:)

DS.T wrote:
Also, when we look up new words, there are in most cases sentences of usage that go with the word. I wonder if it would be possible to make links on each word of sample sentences to its own entry so that when we don't know the meanings of some words in it, we don't have
to look it up elsewhere? It might make the whole system work better and more independently.

Do you mean making the words in the example sentences act like the words in the text? So when you hover or click on them you get the definitions?
Exactly. I'll be much appreciated if you could make this work. I know many people rely on sentences to fully master new vocabularies. It is discouraging when beginners discover a couple of nice usages but understand little of them.
Sorry for being absent these days. Exams took a lot of my time. Keep up the good work:)

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5677 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 116 of 134
04 April 2014 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
I would like the sentence hover translation, but is there any way to preload it (like a pop up :hover text)? It generally takes a while for translations to load.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have some sort of symbol to show whether or not a sentence has a translation, if it doesn't perhaps you could give the option to provide a translation for that sentence?

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3886 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 117 of 134
14 April 2014 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Thanks DS.T for the details, that's helpful. :)

CRUSH wrote:
I would like the sentence hover translation, but is there any way to preload it (like a pop up :hover
text)? It generally takes a while for translations to load.

Yes, that should be possible. Speed is quite important, at the moment, it's a bit slow for the translations to appear,
we will try to make it instantaneous.

Crush wrote:
I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have some sort of symbol to show whether or not a sentence
has a translation, if it doesn't perhaps you could give the option to provide a translation for that sentence?

Yes, that's a good idea. Not easy to implement and manage though :)

Sorry for replying so late.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5677 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 118 of 134
20 April 2014 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
I've seen some of the new interface changes, it looks nice!

For the speed of the translations, i imagine that if you had your own dictionaries it might be a bit faster (faster than reading from WordReference or Google, at least). I've noticed that words you've hovered over save the translation so hovering over it again provides an instant translation. It's a nice feature, though it would definitely be nice if all translations could load that fast!

I've tried reading some more texts in Basque and it's still really hard, Google translate just doesn't work very well with Basque :/ Conjugation/case breakdown would be incredibly helpful. Actually, that would probably help me learn new tenses without having to formally study them in a textbook :D For now, i think it's probably the perfect tool for Chinese and would gladly use it just for that. For the other languages, at least for me personally, i don't think it's quite there. At the very least being able to load up conjugation/case charts at the click of a button would help enormously in trying to figure out tricky verbs and inflections..

I'm really liking how the site looks, though, it's looking more and more polished. Keep up the good work!

Yaan
Triglot
Groupie
France
Joined 3886 days ago

61 posts - 88 votes 

Message 119 of 134
21 April 2014 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Crush.

We tested many things in the past few months and got many useful feedbacks from HTLAL and elsewhere.
The conclusion is quite clear, the backbone of Lingocracy is the Reading Lists (the content) and the Text Reader itself (the tool).
So right now, we are working on refining those two features to make them as perfect as possible. Among the improvements, you should expect speed, better UI and design.

We are also reworking the design of the entire website too :)

I haven't forgot the case about the inflection, that's still something with high priority, but that's also still something very hard to implement too.

When reading, as you pointed out, the important things are:
1. the quality of the definition
2. link the base form (inflexions) and/or providing conjugation tables

I guess, the reason why it works well for Chinese is that 1. the dictionary is very good (CEDICT) and 2. that inflexion is not relevant for Chinese.

EDIT:
Crush wrote:
I've noticed that words you've hovered over save the translation so hovering over it again provides an instant translation.

Thank you for noticing that :)

Edited by Yaan on 21 April 2014 at 2:58pm

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5677 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 120 of 134
21 April 2014 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Yaan wrote:
I haven't forgot the case about the inflection, that's still something with high priority, but that's also still something very hard to implement too.
I realize that and definitely don't mind waiting, but as i've said, if there's anything i can do (boring bulk entry/collection of inflections, for example) to help smooth the process out i would be more than happy to lend a hand or two :)

About Chinese, the word detection works really well and is what is missing in a lot of the other programs. It's not perfect, i don't think any automatic system can be. I think perhaps remembering how other users have formatted the text would help, but it's still really good as it is and the main thing i use Lingocracy for at the moment.

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version