Joined 3553 days ago

66 posts - 96 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Mandarin, Czech, French

Message 57 of 225
27 December 2014 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
agta wrote:
I have a problem with our introductory challenge as I hasn't really read
any original German book or watch movies.

I'm in a similar position agta, as I haven’t really had much exposure to native materials
either.

The one notable exception that I can think of at the moment is the poem Der Erlkönig. I
discovered this very shortly after I started learning German and I loved it. One of the
first things that I did was to take this poem apart. It was obviously above my level at
the time but I wanted to learn it badly enough that the extra time that I needed to put
into studying it didn’t bother me. It remains one of my favourite poems (even now I still
know it off by heart).
1 person has voted this message useful

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 58 of 225
27 December 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I looked on the Wikia and there's four team members in the A0-A1 category, so I hope there's some easy challenges for us as we gear up for a year of learning.

I can't name any "real" books or movies--yet--but for my fellow A1's I can recommend Café in Berlin as your first book to read, and then the Felix und Theo series when you're closer to full A1.

sabotai
United States
Joined 5678 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 59 of 225
27 December 2014 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Introductory Challenge

Music

Don't really follow music that much. I do like Rammstein, but they've been one of my favorites since long before I started learning German (not counting high school). I've tried to find other German metal bands (Eisbrecher, Megaherz) but I just haven't gotten into them as much. I don't stick to just metal music, I find favorites in all genres. I haven't really done much looking for German music.

Books

Haven't gotten to any native German novels yet. Some graded readers and short stories, but nothing spectacular yet. I have Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann and Berlin Alexanderplatz by Alfred Döblin on my bookshelf. I'm planning on getting to at least one of them this year, even if it's only to intensively read a few chapters.

Movies

Die Welle is one of the three movies that I am going through with subs2srs. Of the three, I'd say this one is the best in terms of being able to learn from it. The setting is high school, so some of the language is more simple, yet I'm sure it also has more slang. Also being that many scenes are in a classroom setting, there's a lot of clear speech.

Das Leben Der Anderen is my favorite non-silent German film. I'm a big fan of German Expressionism and the German silent era in general. Der Golem, Faust, Metropolis, Das Cabinent des Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu...I'd say Faust is my favorite German silent movie.

Honorable Mentions for movies: Lola Rennt, Soul Kitchen, Der Baader Meinhof Komplex, Sophie Scholl: Die letzten Tag, Das weiße Band
2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4030 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 60 of 225
29 December 2014 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
So I have updated Unser Mannschaft section, got a little bit terrified but also quite a bit excited.
It's necessary to have a link to your log there, but you can also add whatever else as your contacts (twitter, facebook and more).
4 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4011 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 61 of 225
29 December 2014 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
Link to
my log

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3467 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 62 of 225
31 December 2014 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Hallo Via Diva,

Here it is the link to my log.

how-
to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39571&PN =1&TPN=4

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 63 of 225
31 December 2014 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Ich wünsche Euch allen einen guten Rutsch und ein glückliches Jahr 2015!

Edited by patrickwilken on 31 December 2014 at 11:29am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Ramblurr
United States
binaryelysium.com
Joined 4136 days ago

30 posts - 34 votes
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), German

Message 64 of 225
31 December 2014 at 5:34pm | IP Logged 
Hallo everyone... joining at the last minute... here is a link to my log:

http://www.how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.a sp?TID=39832&PN=1&TPN=1

This discussion contains 225 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version