Joined 4136 days ago

30 posts - 34 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Egyptian), German

Message 81 of 225
08 January 2015 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Ramblurr wrote:

I also watched Das Finstere Tal with my partner after the recommendation by a Rätsel member
here with a fine list of German language movies. It is a great suspenseful Western-type film
set in a rural valley in the Alps. I didn't understand much, not least of all because the
dialect was heavy Tyrolean, but it was a great, eerie movie. Light on dialogue, as the OP
mentioned, so don't watch it purely for language practice.

Glad you liked it! It's definitely not a beginners movie, given it's heavy dialect, but
definitely cool to see such a good transposition of the Western genre into Austrian Alps.

You're in Europe now aren't you? Do you have access to much German language films?

Indeed! My friend who I watched the movie with loved the movie as well. She is actually from
a neighboring village as the actor that played the main brother in the movie and has met him
mountaineering before. Thought that was interesting.

Anyways, yeah I'm in Europe, so to speak. I've been here for two or so years now. On and off
for the past year though I've been in Albania, where I am currently. My access to German
language films is non-existent really, aside from the occasional DVD I grab off a German-
speaking expat. Once (if) I head to Austria on a more permanent basis, I'll definitely have
ready access. Are you looking for something in particular?

1 person has voted this message useful

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3467 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 82 of 225
08 January 2015 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
January Challenge

Team Rätsel Gruppenmitglieder,

Hiermit möchte ich mich vorstellen. Zum ersten Mal schreibe ich auf Deutsch. Ich bin
Nieng Zhonghan.

Ich möchte alle auf Deutsch schreiben, aber es ist leider sehr kaputt.

Mein hobby ist Musik hören. Ich höre gerne europäische klassische Musik. Ich höre auch
Musik von China, Japan, SüdKorea Russland, und ändere Länder von Asien. Leider kann
ich nicht ein Instrument spielen.

Ich mag sehr gern Sprachen lernen. Dieses Jahre will ich Chinesisch, Koreanish und
etwas Deutsch lernen. Vielleicht will ich Russisch lernen, weil slavische Sprachen
mich interessieren. Ich möchte auch mein Englisch zu verbessern, weil es sehr kaputt
ist. Ich lerne Deutsch (Assimil) seit fünfte Januar. Ichh habe viel Spaß!

Ich habe eine Frage. Was kann ich “Resource exchange” auf Deutsch sagen, bitte?

Der Film: Ich habe noch nie einen Deutschen Film gesehen.
Das Buch: Ich habe noch nie ein Buch auf Deutsch gelesen.
Das Lehrbuch: Assimil
Apps/game: Keine Ahnung. Ich habe jetzt kein Telefon.
Das Audiobook: Ich habe noch nie ein Audiobook auf Deutsch gelesen. Was kann ich auf
A0 oder A1 lesen? Vielleicht nur der Dialogue von Assimil. Haha.
Die Songs: Diese Woche habe ich Silbermond, Juli, Christina Stürmer, Bosse,
Revolverheld und Die Toten Hosen gehört, aber ich kann nichts verstehen.

So, my basically my goal is to finish A1, read my first book in German, watch my first
movie in German (either from Germany or Austria) and try to understand few lyrics of
the groups I have mentioned above or others that I may find during the journey. If I
get to accomplish this mission which looks possible, then, I should define some other
realistic short-term goals.

By the way, Ramblurr, thanks for sharing “Deutsch im Blick” course.

I am not sure what kind of resources aside from Assimil and Germanpod101.com I will
use.
The latter is an interesting course because the level of the dialogues gets a bit more
difficult each lesson. The course provides pdf files containing the vocabulary of the
lesson, its translation, vocabulary sample sentences, vocabulary phrase usage, grammar
points and cultural insight. I am going to practice some shadowing using the dialogues
provided by this method.

I can try DW courses, Lagune, Begegnungen A1 as well, but have not decided yet.

I doubt I will borrow any grammar books. But if needed, I can borrow Grammatik A,
Klipp und Klar, Langenscheidt Grammatik Intensivtrainer A1 among others. At the
moment I am not in a hurry to do some drills and some other kind of grammar
exercises.

As everyone here is above my level, feel free to point out any mistakes you found in
my text. I'd like to improve my writing, so I don't mind if you are strict with me.
This is the first time I write something in German, so, obviously I don't know how
native speakers or advanced level speakers' write more naturally.

Edited by Nieng Zhonghan on 09 January 2015 at 12:06am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4030 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 83 of 225
08 January 2015 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Nieng Zhonghan, can't help pointing out mistakes (I barely notice mine), but let me just say that your
post looks really inspiring. If I hadn't exams to deal with I'd just added a textbook to my Duolingo+songs way of
handling German.

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4944 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 84 of 225
09 January 2015 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
Here's a music video I’ve always liked. The video quality of this home-made copy is substandard, but the original is nowhere to be found. The German lyrics are here.

Ramblurr
United States
binaryelysium.com
Joined 4136 days ago

30 posts - 34 votes

Message 85 of 225
09 January 2015 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
Agh, quick rant: just started Deutsch Interaktiv, and I'm liking it, except that since it is
all flash I can't copy and paste text into another app like a text document or Anki. >:|

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 86 of 225
09 January 2015 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Ramblurr wrote:
Agh, quick rant: just started Deutsch Interaktiv, and I'm liking it, except that since it is
all flash I can't copy and paste text into another app like a text document or Anki. >:|

That sucks. If you are using Assimil, and perhaps Hugo, that should be sufficient (at least from what others have said - I haven't used either).

Ramblurr
United States
binaryelysium.com
Joined 4136 days ago

30 posts - 34 votes

Message 87 of 225
09 January 2015 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
During one of my study breaks today I worked on preparing some aligned texts. Using the Listening-Reading method is one of my goals for German study, and reading texts that interest me is important. That is as opposed to whatever
public-domain or commercially available texts there are that may or more likely, won't be so interesting or suitable for my level.

After no more than 30 minutes with ebook-convert from calibre, hunalign, and this great blog post I was able
to cook up this:

I was incredibly lucky I think. I had to do zero editing to the text files after conversion except for deleting extraneous front matter (title, dedication, etc).

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 88 of 225
10 January 2015 at 7:00am | IP Logged 
Advice?

I just found out that my satellite tv provider has a German package of 6 channels. Because of the cost I'd have to basically cut off my current package and only have the German channels.

At what point would be best to do this? A2? B1?

This discussion contains 225 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version