Groupie
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 113 of 225
17 January 2015 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
Aack--thank you. I didn't think of that.
1 person has voted this message useful

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3467 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 114 of 225
17 January 2015 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
On German dictionaries

May I ask you what German dictionaries you recommend for A1, A2 and B1 level learner?
Are you currently using a monolingual dictionary? When have you started using it? At
B1, B2 or C1 level?

As for reading (books etc), how do you use your dictionary? What do you do with the
unknown words, idioms, expressions, etc? Do you take notes, make flashcards, list of
vocabulary of simply ignore it in order to read more smoothly without many
interruptions?

Have you checked the words in a bilingual dictionary (ZB German-English etc) first,
then German-German dictionary or vice-verse in order to make sure you really
understood the entry's meaning? What is your approach?

I bought an illustrated German-English dictionary made by Dk because I liked their
Chinese-English version. Since I learned all words in English, now I am trying to
memorize some words in both Chinese and German. I leave them in different parts of the
place I live in or I just bring it together with me wherever I go because it is
relatively small and not heavy. It contains pictures and it helps me to learn some
random words or some specific words related to fields of my interest.

Even though it is a bilingual illustrated dictionary, I think it is indeed interesting
for my beginner level, but I am considering buying a monolingual dictionary in the
near future.

It is not that I am going to use it immediately, but I'd like to know how much I
should save money for buying it as I am considering investing in some German books
next month or even the end of January. If there is a good dictionary, I am going to
purchase it together with the children's or A1 level books because of the money's
currency rate of the country I am living in. (Euro and US dollar got less expensive
yesterday and until the end of the month I guess it may reach slightly better rate for
this country's usual standard).

On "Paprika"

I am not really sure whether the problem is possibly due to a wrong translation or
some kind of typo given in my dictionary (German-Japanese).

I checked the entry in three dictionaries I have in my room and I still have doubts
whether it is correct or not. Zum Beispiel:

"Paprika".

This word appeared into my text as a compound word (Paprikasoße) and I just wanted to
check the gender of Paprika. In one dictionary it is written “masculine noun”; in the
second one it is written “Substantiv, maskulin oder Substantiv, feminin”, and the
latter on simply states as following:

“noun 1”
r Paprika
Plural: e Paprikas/e Paprika

“noun 2”
r, e Paprika.
Plural: e Paprikas/e Paprika

It gave me two entries, but I am not sure I understood its meaning. Is it a typo or
something? The dictionary didn't give me any further explanation as I expected.
Does anyone can tell me the difference between the Paprika as masculine and feminine
genders? As for the plural form of them, which one is more used? Paprika or Paprikas?

Ccaesar
Triglot
Groupie
Denmark
Joined 3591 days ago

84 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, English, German
Studies: Italian

Message 115 of 225
17 January 2015 at 2:40pm | IP Logged 
Hallo Leute!

Entschuldigung für die Verspätung, mir war es nicht bekannt, dass unser Team schon einen
Thread hat.
So, was machen wir genau? Schaut jeder bestimmte Logs an? (Damit Zeit gespart wird), oder
muss jeder alle logs durchlesen?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ccaesar

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4030 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 116 of 225
17 January 2015 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Man muss alle Logs folgen, um einen Team zu bilden, glaube ich ;) Natürlich du wählst, was zu machen, aber
es ist besser, wenn wir uns besser kennen.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 117 of 225
17 January 2015 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Nieng Zhonghan wrote:

"Paprika".

This word appeared into my text as a compound word (Paprikasoße) and I just wanted to
check the gender of Paprika. In one dictionary it is written “masculine noun”; in the
second one it is written “Substantiv, maskulin oder Substantiv, feminin”, and the
latter on simply states as following:

[stuff deleted]

It gave me two entries, but I am not sure I understood its meaning. Is it a typo or
something? The dictionary didn't give me any further explanation as I expected.
Does anyone can tell me the difference between the Paprika as masculine and feminine
genders? As for the plural form of them, which one is more used? Paprika or Paprikas?

It's pretty simple: Some (only foreign?) words - paprika comes from Hungarian - can take more than one gender, the use of which can be regionally based. My wife from North Germany has always used the feminine form, but apparently there are parts of the German speaking world that use the masculine form (perhaps in Austria). My dictionary also show that either plural form (Paprikas or Paprika) is correct. Paprika can either refer to the fruit or the spicy powder.

Another example of this is the word "Jogurt" which can be masculine or neuter. I thought Tofu was also either der/das, but my dictionary shows only the der form.

EDIT: This wasn't quite right. Having now read three dictionary definitions of Paprika (!) I realize that the powder/plant is always der, but the fruit can be der/die - see below.

Edited by patrickwilken on 17 January 2015 at 6:26pm

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5147 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 118 of 225
17 January 2015 at 5:22pm | IP Logged 
Nieng Zhonghan wrote:

As for reading (books etc), how do you use your dictionary? What do you do with the
unknown words, idioms, expressions, etc? Do you take notes, make flashcards, list of
vocabulary of simply ignore it in order to read more smoothly without many
interruptions?

While I'm reading, I don't use the dictionary at all. If I own the book I underline the
words that I don't know and look them up later. I also add them to my flashcard program,
Mnemosyne, to learn all the words. If I don't own the book, I either make notes of the
words, or I just ignore the words I don't know. This method is actually not bad, as I have
noticed that I do learn words this way too, if they reappear you can understand them from
the context.

As for a monolingual dictionary, the Duden online is actually very helpful, so you may not
need to buy a physical one. Here's for example what it says about Paprika:
http://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/Paprika_Paprikaschote_Ge muese but on words that are a
bit more difficult to understand the meaning of, it gives a lot more information about it's
different interpretations.
2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4329 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 119 of 225
17 January 2015 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
I own perhaps a half a dozen German dictionaries. I have hardly used most of them.

I think the most important question you need to ask is what you want to use them for.

There are a number of good free online dictionaries:

LEO: dict.leo.org
Dict.cc: www.dict.cc/?s=German
Duden: www.duden.de
PONS: de.pons.com

If you use the Firefox browser, I can also recommend the Firelang extension that offers a pop-up dictionary, and also use to easily export looked up words into your favorite SRS program.

If you are using ebooks, I can recommend the PONS German-English dictionary (don't know if there is a good German-Japanese available). The Collins dictionary is also good, but I think the PONS is a bit better.

If you have a Kindle you can get for free the Duden - Deutsches Universalwörterbuch as your default German dictionary, but it's not really useful until you are in B2 territory. This is a lot more useful than the Duden pop-up. Here are examples from the PONS and Duden:

==========
PONS Advanced German -> English Dictionary / PONS Wörterbuch Deutsch -> Englisch Advanced (German Edition) (PONS GmbH)

Pap·ri·ka <-s, -[s]> [ˈpaprika] m 1. kein pl (Strauch) paprika no pl, capsicum spec 2. (Schote) pepper, capsicum spec 3. kein pl (Gewürz) paprika no pl, no art

==========
Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch (Duden)

1Pa·p·ri·ka, der; -s, -[s] [über das Ung. < serb. paprika, zu: papar = Pfeffer < lat. piper, Pfeffer]: 1. (zu den Nachtschattengewächsen gehörende) als Kraut od. [Halb]strauch wachsende Pflanze mit länglichen od. rundlichen hohlen Früchten von sehr verschiedener Größe u. grüner, roter od. gelber Farbe, die als Gemüse gegessen od. als Gewürz verwendet werden. 2. [scharfes] bräunlich rotes Gewürz in Pulverform, das aus reifen, getrockneten Paprikaschoten gewonnen wird: süßer, scharfer P.; mit P. würzen. 2Pa·p·ri·ka, der; -s, -[s] od. die; -, -[s]: Frucht des 1Paprikas (1); Paprikaschote: gefüllte P. essen.
==========

As you can see the Duden gives a much better explanation, but if your German is not strong enough it's not very useful. I like the Duden as it gives the etymology of the word (here from Hungarian (paprika) from Latin (piper) - which also gives us Pfeffer in German). There are three versions of the word: (1) masculine with plural form Paprika/Paprikas for the plant or (2) same form for the spicy powder (note: PONS/Langenscheidt says there is no plural form); (3) die/das with Paprika/Paprikas (as plural) for the fruit. Mostly when people talk about Paprika they are referring to the fruit (I am going do a stirfry with Paprika) or sometimes to the powder (I added Paprika to the stew). I don't think I've heard anyone talk about Paprika the plant, but of course that makes sense.

If you look for dictionaries "als Fremdsprache" you'll find mono-dictionaries that are specifically designed for learners. I really like the Langenscheidt Großwörterbuch Deutsch als Fremdsprache, but again this is not really useful until you get into B2 territory, and at that point the Duden is probably better, still the Langenscheidt is great, but unfortunately only in paper form at the moment.

Edited by patrickwilken on 17 January 2015 at 10:45pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Nieng Zhonghan
Bilingual Tetraglot
Antarctica
Joined 3467 days ago

108 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Japanese*, Spanish, Galician
Studies: Finnish, Icelandic, Armenian, Mongolian
Studies: Old English, Russian, English, German, Korean, Mandarin

Message 120 of 225
17 January 2015 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
WingSuet und patrickwilken,

Vielen Dank!

I actually try to use online dictionary, but unfortunately I don't have internet
connection most of times. So, I have to rely on my electronic dictionary that somehow
came with German-Japanese in-built dictionary or my paper dictionaries.

I didn't know about the add-on for Firefox. I will definitely try it by next week.

Thank you very much!

This discussion contains 225 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version