Joined 4398 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 138 of 225
30 January 2015 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
January Challenge

Quote:
I studied German two years at university and I think to be around a A2/B1 level. My biggest problem with German is vocabulary, it's hard to find something to read that is neither too easy nor too hard for me. And movies are definitely out of my reach.

Last year I didn't touch German at all. Since I really want to make progress, my plan is to work harder this year. I listen to the news on Deutsche Welle daily and I also read a book my mother bought for me almost every day. The book is called “Gegangen im Elfenwand”, from “Das magische Baumhaus” series and it was written by Mary Pope Osborne. Even though I find words I don't know, I can understand the text general meaning, which makes reading it very enjoyable. With other books I had to look up words all the time!

Quote:
Ich habe Deutsch zwei Jahren an der Universität gelernt und ich denke, dass meines Niveau zwischen A2 und B1 ist. Meines größten Problem mit Deutsch sind Vokabeln, es ist schwer für mich zu finden, etwas zu lesen, dass nicht weder zu einfach noch zu schwer ist. Und Filmen liegen nicht im Rahmen meines Möglichen.

Letztes Jahr habe ich praktisch kein Deutsch studiert, aber ich will Fortschritt machen und dieses Jahr meines Zeil ist härter zu arbeiten. Jeden Tag höre ich die „Langsam gesprochene Nachrichten“ auf Deutsche Welle an und fast jeden Tag lese ich ein Buch, der für mich meine Mutter gekauft hat. Der Buch heiße „Gefangen im Elfenwand“ und gehört zu die „Das magische Baumhaus“ Serie von Mary Pope Osborne. Obwohl finde ich Wörter, dass ich nicht kenne, Ich kann die allgemeine Bedeutung des Text verstehen und der Buch ist unterhaltsam zu lesen. Mit andere Bücher musste ich viele Wörter immer heraussuchen!

Wee…it's been quite a while since I last wrote something in German. Corrections are much welcome!

Edited by suzukaze on 30 January 2015 at 10:17pm

1 person has voted this message useful

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 139 of 225
03 February 2015 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Will we be having a February challenge?

I'm doing better this month and hopefully can accomplish it.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4030 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 140 of 225
05 February 2015 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Of course we will!
I was thinking about "write a piece of fiction" - a short story, a dialogue, a poem. However, it might be too hard, so I'm not sure.
Any other suggestions?

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5147 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 141 of 225
06 February 2015 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
As I'm over lower intermediate in German, I decided to enter the 6WC with Cantonese. This way
I'll at least be able to log my German progresses as well and at the same time encourage me to
pick up Cantonese again. I really want to learn this language, but I seem to never have enough
time for it (or never take the time for it).

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4030 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 142 of 225
08 February 2015 at 12:12pm | IP Logged 
Introductory challenge - results. Completed by:
VIa Diva, agantik, liammcg, patrickwilken, g-bod, agta, Rem, carlyd, sabotai, WingSuet, suzukaze, AlOlaf,
fabriciocarraro
January challenge - results. Completed by:
carlyd, Nieng Zhonghan, WingSuet, Via Diva, agta, agantik, fabriciocarraro, suzukaze

Perhaps challenges won't fit here if more than half of the team don't do them, but let's give this another
try:

February challenge:
try to write some fiction. It can be any size you want - even a novel, if you write fast enough :). The point
of the challenge is to activate thinking in the language, applying it to your fantasy. Even if the best you can
do is a short dialogue it's okay.
Preferably to do it using only German, otherwise it would be pure translating, which is kinda boring.
However, it's hard to trace how exactly the challenge was completed, so technically it's okay to write in the
language you know better at first.

An option - we can turn the challenge into collaborative writing.

What are your ideas about all that?

carlyd
Groupie
United States
Joined 3785 days ago

94 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 143 of 225
09 February 2015 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
Can I please get some help from my team members?

I'm working on my verb tenses and they ask to supply the proper verb tense for a sentence. That's fine, but I have one out of the last 50 that I'm not sure what the sentence means.

Ihr erzählt immer so viel. I thought--"you (plural) explain everything so well". Bing Translate says--"tell her so much"

Help?

Thank you.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4030 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 

Message 144 of 225
10 February 2015 at 12:46am | IP Logged 
I have never heard about Bing Translate, but this seems to be not a good thing. Even Google Translate gets it
better (You always told me so much).
The sentence is, however, really simple - You always tell so much.
I think if kinds of ihr/sie are confusing you just have to practice them first, because you should be able to see
subject in the sentence, otherwise it's hard to study more complicated things.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 225 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version