Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 113 of 116
06 February 2015 at 9:18am | IP Logged 
Back from Austria! I had a great time skiing and also had some opportunities to speak
German, as the locals barely knew any English, but mostly it was just brief conversations.

Watched some dubbed How I met your mother, Big bang theory and Simpsons on the TV too and
it got me thinking, maybe it's not so bad to watch something dubbed. I used to hate it and
refuse watching anything dubbed, except disney of course, but for the purpose of learning I
might consider it. I've been thinking I could choose a TV series that I'm not too fond of
anyway, so that the different voices don't annoy me. Someone here said they watched the
dubbed version of Lost, and since I'm not too crazy about that series and haven't seen all
of it, I might watch it in German.

I finished the book "Der Spaziergang von Rostock nach Syrakus" while I was away and it was
quite good! It's about a man who lives in East Germany and wants to get out of there just
to make a trip to Italy, but who wants to come back afterwards, so he starts to plan how to
get out of the country and learns to sail to take the seaway to Denmark.

We're now practising translation in my university course, so I always have many texts to
translate, from instruction manuals to articles on the cold. It's quite interesting, and
you do get a lot of knowledge from working as a translator.
1 person has voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 114 of 116
30 October 2015 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
Today starts a whole new adventure for me! I am now in Berlin, in fact, I just arrived a few
hours ago. The plan is to find a job, any kind of job, and work here for about 6 months to
improve my German. So far I only have a place to stay for 10 days and no job, so it's a risk
I'm taking, but I don't think it will be impossible to sort everything out. It's a bit scary,
but I'm still determined to try my best and make it work and I hope to gain a lot of
experience and language proficiency through this adventure. I had decided to speak only German
once I've arrived, but that failed fairly quickly, as the guy I rent a room from isn't German
and prefers to speak English.. However, I got directions from a few people with whom I spoke
only German and they were really nice not to switch to English when they heard my weird
pronunciation.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 115 of 116
25 November 2015 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I've lived in Berlin for almost 4 weeks now. The progress has been tremendous so far, I feel
so much more confident when speaking in German and are starting to develop a more German
melody to my speech. Before I didn't really know what German intonation actually sounded like.
I now live with a German girl and her Spanish boyfriend, so I get some practise at home.
Everything has started to fall into place, the only really negative thing is that, since I had
to find a job quickly, I work at a call center where I will be dealing only with Swedish
customers, working with mostly nordic colleagues. But hopefully I will soon find a new job
where I can speak more German, and in the mean time I try to speak as much German as possible
in my free time. For example I've joined a German football team. I also try to get more German
input by listening to Harry Potter on an audio book and watching movies in German. I didn't do
anything for the Super Challenge for a long time, but I thought I would give it another go the
last month and try to reach as many books and films as possible before the year is over.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 116 of 116
30 November 2015 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
It's funny how much more motivation I have to study German now that I am in Germany. Before
I had trouble bringing myself to study at all. If I decided to practise words on Memrise I
would quit after 10-15 minutes, not wanting to go on. Tonight however I finished all 400
words all in one go. Perhaps it's partly because I decided to stop timing and make a note
of all the studying I do and just focus on the studying itself. It was fun before to see
how much I've studied each month, but lately it's just felt like something I had to do and
it was just time consuming. It could also be because of all the input I've gotten lately,
it was much easier and quicker for me to go through the words, since I didn't have to think
for as long.

I've also gotten more into watching dubbed movies now, which is something I couldn't bring
myself to do before. So far I'm just watching family movies with not too much drama and
suspense and staying away from my favourite movies, which actually makes the movie watching
rather relaxing and fun. The Super Challenge helps keeping up my motivation as well.

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version