Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 41 of 116
02 April 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
It's Monday, so here's the new update for last week. Still didn't reach my goal but
closer this time at least. Total study time: 10.98 hours.

Cantonese 4.08 hours
Had a great lesson today where we were telling each other what we did last week. There
was a lot of interaction where the teacher was asking follow up questions and
explaining all our problems. I still need to improve my vocabulary, but I feel that my
listening comprehension is slowly getting better.

Mandarin 4.13 hours
We're moving along like always. The lessons are starting to get really boring, we're
always doing the same thing. I still haven't decided if I will keep learning Mandarin
after class is over. It's a very useful language, but right now I just don't feel
motivated enough.

Spanish 2.77 hours
Not as much study time here, but I feel like I'm getting better overall skills in
Spanish. I'm thinking about reading a book in Spanish soon, maybe in June for the
Tadoku challenge, but I don't know which book yet. Last time I tried reading in Spanish
I made too slow progress and had to look up everything, so in the end I got bored and
stopped reading. I'm thinking about choosing a children's book that I have already read
to make it easier to understand the context.
2 persons have voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 42 of 116
04 April 2012 at 10:47am | IP Logged 
Just wanted to tell you all that I am leaving for Japan tonight and I'm going to be away
for one week. So this week I have only studied 4 hours so far and I don't think I will
have time to study in Japan, even though I did bring my flashcard program on a USB-stick
just in case ;) I'd also like to mention that I got back the results yesterday from my
Mandarin test that I did last week and I got 100 % again! :D Although this time someone
else got the same score too, which shows how easy it was.
1 person has voted this message useful

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4843 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 43 of 116
25 April 2012 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
Had a great lesson today where we were telling each other what we did last week.

Sounds great! I always like when the topic is about telling some personal experiences that happened in the near past. But where have you gone? You haven't posted for some time... I hope you feel well! Also, how was your time in Japan?

Edited by Takato on 25 April 2012 at 12:05am

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 44 of 116
28 April 2012 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Sorry that I haven't written anything for a while. After Japan my mom came to visit me
here in Hong Kong, so I didn't get much language studies done :/ But now I'm finally
back on track! And I had a great time in Japan, thanks for asking Takato :)

Yesterday I had two tests in Spanish, one oral and one listening. The oral was more
difficult than expected, but it went well anyway. She had told us that we were to
describe a picture and that we had ten minutes before to prepare what we wanted to say.
When I got there I also gave me a note with a topic and questions that I could answer.
Apparently we were supposed to have a conversation with her in this topic and answer
her questions about it. I got the topic about youngsters in Hong Kong. Although it was
a bit challenging to express my thoughts it was also cool to notice that I was able to
get my message across. Afterwards she told me I had very good pronunciation and flow
and that if I keep going I could sound like a native in the end :D That's so great to
hear and a good confidence boost!

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 45 of 116
01 May 2012 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
Time for an update about last week. Total study time: 7.92 hours. I think I need to set
a new goal as for how many hours I should study a week. The goal of 15 hours a week (5
hours per language) was set when I had about 6-7 hours a week of language classes,
which I don't have anymore and I tend to study much less when I don't have classes to
go to.

Cantonese 1.95 hours
Since I hadn't been studying much before last week I had about 400 cards of Cantonese
waiting for me in Mnemosyne and this week I went through them all, took about 50
minutes :P I also finally started with Teach Yourself again. So far I've only gone
through the dialogues I already studied before to revise. I've done lessons 3-13 so far
and I need to revise until chapter 21 where I left off last time.

Mandarin 1.6 hours
Same situation here, had about 300 cards waiting for me, done with those too. Other
than that I haven't done anything. I have reached the decision to stop studying
Mandarin as soon as I am done with the final exam. Now that I've tried it I notice that
I don't like the language that much and I feel no motivation to keep going. I might
keep going through the cards so that I don't forget what I've learned so far, but I'm
not gonna learn any more.

Spanish 4.37
I guess the numbers say it, I feel more motivated studying Spanish right now. This week
I have had two tests as I already said in my last post and I have been going through
lyrics to learn new words and to understand the songs I listen to. When this semester
is over I need to find good material to keep studying on my own.

A note about 6WC. I decided not to take part in it this time. One thing is that I don't
have much time this month as I have exams and I'm going to China for 10 days, another
thing, which is the most important reason, is that I don't have a beginner's language
that I want to study intensively. I already said that I am dropping Mandarin soon and
that is the only beginner's language I study at the moment. But I'll be happy to join
the next challenge with a new language which will probably be Finnish :)

silverpolyglot
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
silverchallanges.wor
Joined 4709 days ago

42 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Somali
Studies: French, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 46 of 116
02 May 2012 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
I got the topic about youngsters in Hong Kong. Although it was
a bit challenging to express my thoughts it was also cool to notice that I was able to
get my message across. Afterwards she told me I had very good pronunciation and flow
and that if I keep going I could sound like a native in the end :D That's so great to
hear and a good confidence boost!

That's fantastic, WingSuet! Seeing how hard you work every week I honestly believe you
deserve to hear such praise! Keep working hard! Good luck on your Exams and have fun in
China!

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 47 of 116
02 May 2012 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
Thank you silverpolyglot for your kind words! Good luck with your studies as well!

Just want to share some of my thoughts lately. I have a small problem about choosing
language - not which one to study but which one to teach! This fall I'm going to start
studying to become a language teacher. I need to choose two subjects to teach and I've
already chosen the first one (Swedish as a second language) but I have trouble choosing
my second subject. I'm deciding between Spanish and German, both of which are languages
I've studied for a long time before, although it was a long time since I used my
German. I like both languages, but in different ways, and that has made it so hard to
choose. It would be easier to go with Spanish as that's the language I'm still
studying, but I'm leaning more towards German at the moment, as that's the language I
can really see myself teaching and I think it would be really fun! Although that means
that I need to start reviving that language too, but I see that only as a good thing as
I finally can find the motivation to start using my German again :) So chances are I'm
going to add German to my active languages later on, replacing Mandarin, which should
only be a good thing as I would then be studying a Germanic language, making me fit
even better into my team :)

Luna Moonsilver
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
lunaslanglog.wordpreRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4873 days ago

77 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Korean

Message 48 of 116
03 May 2012 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Ah, I just looked through your log and I feel like such a bad team member for not
commenting D: Your upcoming course sounds exciting though, good luck on it! :D And yay
for German ;)

Have fun in China too! :D

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version