Canada
silverchallanges.wor
Joined 4709 days ago

42 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Somali
Studies: French, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 49 of 116
03 May 2012 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
The great thing about teaching a language is that you are able to discover things that
you would not have discovered in your studies, and preparing lesson plans allow you to
review material you have learned previously! I think it's a great idea to switch Mandarin
with German, after all I believe you've gotten into a habit studying 3 languages at a
time!
1 person has voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 50 of 116
07 May 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
@Silverpolyglot: Yes, studying three languages at one time isn't very difficult anymore.
It might be different with German though, as I don't have a beginner's language anymore,
but instead two languages, almost three, at the same level. But it will be interesting :)
And hopefully three semesters of studying only German at university will help me improve
my German to a higher level than I've ever been at!

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 51 of 116
07 May 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Last week I studied quite consistently, everyday but one. But there's still room for
improvement :) Total study time: 6.58 hours

Cantonese 1.73 hours
I continued with Teach Yourself dialogues and have now reached chapter 19. The last few
days I've only been going through Mnemosyne though, so I need to make sure to study
more Cantonese this week.

Mandarin 1.43 hours
I've been preparing for my Mandarin exam by learning all vocabulary from the book and
learning the Chinese characters we need to know. I already knew most of them since my
previous study of characters, but I needed to learn the Mandarin pronunciation and a
few character combinations that I wasn't familiar with.

Spanish 3.42 hours
I've gone through the lyrics of some songs, trying to learn new vocabulary, and started
looking at some short texts in my textbook. This week I will try to attempt some of the
texts on this website: http://albalearning.com/audiolibros/esopo/fab-001.html. I'd like
to prepare for the Tadoku challenge in June by reading shorter stories before
attempting a longer book. Oh, and I had my exam test last week. It wasn't all that
difficult, but there was a writing exercise in the end that was a bit tricky. I'm
looking forward to see my results :)

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 52 of 116
10 May 2012 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Today I had my final exam in Cantonese! It was fairly easy, except maybe the listening
part where we needed to write down the final part of the word. It's so hard to hear if it
ends with an n, m or an ng! But I think it went fine! It was very similar to the tests we
had before so we were well prepared. Feels weird to be done with both Cantonese and
Spanish now, and tomorrow is the final exam in Mandarin! Really don't know what to expect
for that one, everyone said it will be difficult!

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 53 of 116
17 May 2012 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
This will be my last update from Hong Kong. Today I am leaving for China and then I'll
be headed back home to Sweden. Even though I know I could have used my time better in
HK to learn Cantonese I am happy with the time I had here. Now I know that my
pronunciation is good so I can continue to study it at home.

Last week:

Cantonese 2.53 hours
I have gone through all dialogues of the units I had already done before, so now I'm
ready to start with new units. Unit 22 is the next one.

Mandarin 1.77 hours
I had my final exam, which could have gone a lot better. The listening part was really
difficult! (Who would be able to solve a riddle in a few seconds when you're only
allowed to hear it twice?) Now I'm at least done with Mandarin and even though I will
continue to go through my flashcards, I will not keep studying it actively.

Spanish 2.27 hours
I have read the first two short stories from the website I mentioned before and learned
all the vocabulary that I didn't know. Later I think I will try and do one story every
day.

Total study time: 6.57 hours

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4843 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 54 of 116
09 June 2012 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Could you give me some clues as to how the Teach Yourself Cantonese book is? Do you like it? Why did you put it on-hold for some time?

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 55 of 116
11 July 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
I can't believe it's been almost two months since I last updated, I'm ashamed of
myself! Sorry, team mates! Actually, I haven't done much studying either. I guess that
just what happens once you put something off, you keep procrastinating until it's
almost too hard to pick it up again. I have now decided however to get on with it and
go through all my cards that have been waiting for me on Mnemosyne. So far I'm done
with Cantonese and Spanish, but I'm not looking forward to the Mandarin deck, as I know
I will have forgotten most of them! But now that I'm done with Cantonese and Spanish, I
can start actually learning something and not just relearning what I've already gone
through before.

Takato: I think the book is okay. The content is not always very interesting and
sometimes not very useful I think, but they also teach you more unique things about the
language that you usually don't learn on such an early stage, which I think is cool. I
don't think it's very suitable for beginners though, as they move on very quickly. I
put it on hold because I felt that the later units had topics that weren't very
interesting or useful. It would be better to start with another course, but now that
I've started it I would like to finish it before I move on to something else.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 56 of 116
15 July 2012 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
I've finally gone through all the cards in my decks on Mnemosyne (except for Chinese
characters, which I haven't touched for at least 6 months and need to go through from
the beginning again). I'm surprised how much I remembered of the Mandarin cards, it
wasn't that bad to go through them again. Now an update for each language:

Cantonese
I've started with Teach Yourself again, am now at unit 22. The vocabulary in this unit
is much more interesting than the last few units, so hopefully I can keep it up this
time and finally finish the course. After that I will start either Colloquial Cantonese
or FSI, or maybe both :) I just hope it isn't all beginner's material.

Spanish
I've continued with the short stories I found earlier, so far I've only done three of
them, but I want to finish these before actually reading a book in the language. I also
checked out Memrise, which my teammate NickJS talked about in another teammate's log,
and it's looking promising so far. I started on a deck with 5000 common words in
Spanish, so I'm hoping to learn a lot of useful vocabulary!

German
I'm now adding a new language to replace Mandarin, since I don't study it actively
anymore. I've been accepted to a German course at University this fall so I want to
prepare as much as I can for it. I started reading the book Die Brüder Löwenherz, which
is the German translation of a children's book I've already read in my own language. It
feels good to be able to read in a language I haven't touched for so long. Of course
it's helpful that it is so similar to my own language. I'm so looking forward to
studying this language full time! I just hope I'll be able to study my other languages
at the same time...

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version