Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4843 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 57 of 116
18 July 2012 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
I've started with Teach Yourself again [...] hopefully I can keep it up this time and finally finish the course

Great to hear! :D
I suggest you make sure you learn a bit each day. At least I myself find sitting down to learn the most difficult thing.
1 person has voted this message useful

ZombieKing
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 4322 days ago

247 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin*

Message 58 of 116
18 July 2012 at 4:02am | IP Logged 
加油!希望你能成功!我也很喜歡廣東話!你 會讀600字已經很厲害啊!

Good luck! I wish you much success. And I also really like Cantonese. By the way, being able to read 600 characters is already really good!

Edited by ZombieKing on 18 July 2012 at 4:03am

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4642 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 59 of 116
20 July 2012 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
WingSuet, great log! I wish you the best of luck with your studies. Sometime in the future I hope to join you in your Cantonese quest. But first I must learn Japanese.

I'm interested in your thoughts on Mnemosyne. I just switched a month ago from Anki to Mnemosyne 2.0, because Mnemosyne works better from a USB stick. Does Mnemosyne work well for you as far as handling hanzi and pronunciations and the like?

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 60 of 116
20 July 2012 at 8:50am | IP Logged 
@Takato: Thanks for the tip! I’ll try to do that! Though I feel that it's starting to
get difficult to handle all the languages at once. Sometimes I miss the time when I was
focusing on one language only, it was much easier that way and I made more progress.

@ZombieKing: Thanks! I just wish I still knew those 600 characters, I’m afraid I’ve
forgotten most of them by now. I’ll have to try to relearn them as soon as possible.

@kujichagulia: Thanks! Always nice to know that someone's reading it :) If you do start
with Cantonese, let me know! with Cantonese, let me know!

Mnemosyne can handle hanzi very well I would say. When you add new cards, you can set
it to have three sides, one for the character, one for the pronunciation and one for
the meaning. Two cards will be created from this, one with the character on one side
and the pronunciation and the definition on the other side, and one with the definition
on one side and the pronunciation and character on the other. Very convenient! I've
never really used Anki and I'm curious if it's any different from Mnemosyne, maybe even
better since there are so many who use it.

Edited by WingSuet on 20 July 2012 at 9:27am

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 61 of 116
25 July 2012 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
Here's the update for last week. Studying has gone very well, I'm very happy with this
week. Total studying time: 8.3 hours.

Cantonese 1.67 hours
I've finished with TY Unit 22, but I need to spend more time on Cantonese. This coming
week I'll try to do more TY units.

Spanish 3.28 hours
I've recently discovered Memrise.com and so far I really love it! In fact, I've become
a little addicted to it, I'm currently doing 50 new words every day. I started on the
deck called First 5000 words of Spanish, so far I've done 350 words. Of course, I
already know many of the words I'm learning since many of them are really easy. I also
did another one, number four, of the short stories I talked about in an earlier
message.

German 3.07 hours
I started on a German deck on Memrise too, called 1000 words of Elementary German. I
started out doing 50 new words a day here too, but it then turned out to be too
difficult. It seems that my Spanish vocabulary is bigger than my German, which shows
that I really need to study hard this summer for my German language class this fall.
That's why I decided to join the 6 weeks challenge with German :) The timing couldn't
be better, I'll get to use all of August to try and learn as much as possible before
the course begins in September. :)

Edited by WingSuet on 25 July 2012 at 11:28pm

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 62 of 116
06 August 2012 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to do an update for the week before, so here is for week 30. I managed to
study all languages every day that week, it's going pretty well right now. Total study
time: 10.15 hours.

Cantonese 2.57 hours
I finished unit 23 this week, not many to go now!

Spanish 3.87 hours
I spent all my time on Memrise and learned 50 new words every day this week. I really
like Memrise :)

German 3.52 hours
Just like with Spanish, I spent all my time on Memrise, though I haven't learned as
many German words as Spanish.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 63 of 116
06 August 2012 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
And here's the update for last week. Total study time: 11.27

Cantonese 2.7 hours
I finished unit 24 of Teach Yourself and have only two units left, one of which is a
review unit. I'll aim at finishing with TY by the end of this week.

Spanish 3.68 hours
I did 50 new words on Memrise every day but one this week. Since I joined 6 weeks
challenge I decided to take a break from the Spanish short stories and focus on reading
in German instead.

German 5.3 hours
I learned more words on Memrise this week than the week before. I also continued
reading the book Die Brüder Löwenherz. The most time consuming part is looking up all
the words in the dictionary and learning them, so it's going pretty slow right now.
This coming week I'll try to read more, even if I haven't had time to look up all the
words from the last reading.

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4843 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 64 of 116
07 August 2012 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
Sometimes I miss the time when I was
focusing on one language only, it was much easier that way and I made more progress.

Oh, I thought learning multiple languages each day gives the benefit of being more efficient based on the principle that if one learns twice a week 5 hours then it's a worse use of time compared to learning five times a week 2 hours, therefore learning multiple languages each day would be like 10+10+44 benefit points achieved each day (learning 1 hour Tagalog, 1 hour Indonesian and 5 hour Tibetan) instead of the 58 benefit points achieved when learning just Tibetan for 7 hours a day. But then it seems I'm wrong, based on your thought.
WingSuet wrote:
Mnemosyne [...] be [...] Very convenient! I've
never really used Anki and I'm curious if it's any different from Mnemosyne, maybe even
better since there are so many who use it.

Just that much people use it doesn't mean it's any good. Think of how the masses of simple-minded people are mesmerized to buy/watch/whatever much advertised products. Of course I don't mean that Anki is bad, I only mean that you should decide for yourself if it's good for you. I'd say Anki is better in the statistics aspect (nice statistics of your learning. Note that I didn't say it's useful, just that it's nice to look at), whereas Mnemosyne got more buttons for rating how well you know a card. The mobile versions (I don't like to waste money and electricity on using a computer for reviewing cards) compared, I find Mnemojojo better than Ankidroid. I can't get the latter one to playing sounds / showing pictures. (If there is a way to do these with Ankidroid then it's well hidden so I wouldn't like Ankidroid better in that case, either.)
WingSuet wrote:
pronunciation and the definition on the other side

Is it easy for you to learn the pronunciation of 漢字? I don't really learn pronunciation for Mandarin 漢字 because I don't know how to and why to.
WingSuet wrote:
I managed to study all languages every day that week, it's going pretty well right now.

Awesome! :D I hope I can do that one week, too. ._.

WingSuet wrote:
I did 50 new words on Memrise every day [...] Spanish [...] German [...] reading the book [...] most time consuming part is looking up all
the words in the dictionary and learning them, so it's going pretty slow right now.
This coming week I'll try to read more, even if I haven't had time to look up all the
words from the last reading.

What I don't like in materials like Memrise is that you can't skip learning unimportant words, like handle (e.g. handle of a door). (Can you?) I like picking up words in context more.
Reading natives material, on the other hand, seem to be somewhat overwhelming in comparison, right? Well, I don't know if it helps, but it gets easier each time you read. Maybe it would be motivating to track down how much time it takes to read a page, and then you'd be able to see how the easiness level increases? Although it's motivating enough to read materials you like to read, I guess...
Also, I myself found subtitles easier to comprehend in comparison with books. What's your thought about it? I would be pleased to see your opinion.

Edited by Takato on 07 August 2012 at 10:58am

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version