Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 17 of 116
14 December 2011 at 9:02am | IP Logged 
The thing with the frequency lists of Chinese characters is that they're lists for Mandarin. I doubt any lists exist for Cantonese, since there isn't really a corpus for that. So while they'll be useful for reading Mandarin (with Cantonese pronunciation, if you want, like the Hong Kongers do it), they're not accurate for actual Cantonese. Many of the most frequently used Mando characters are never used in Cantonese, and many of the most frequently used Canto characters don't exist in Mandarin.

And I'd personally recommend concentrating on words, not characters, at least in the beginning. Characters without words are useless. So with that in mind, I'd say you'd be much better off going to CantoDict, which holds real Cantonese words, as opposed to Mandarin characters, if you want to memorize things. CantoDict has a classification system for frequency. It's not perfect, since it's volunteer-based, but it's got 448 Level 1 compound words at the moment. Some of them are arguably not that necessary, but most of them are pretty high-frequency, and you'll get a lot farther in your Cantonese by memorizing those than by memorizing a bunch of Mandarin morphemes.
1 person has voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 18 of 116
14 December 2011 at 10:48am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I know it's for Mandarin, but as most texts in Cantonese are actually written in Mandarin (like you said) I thought it would be good to learn those characters first. Sure, it's a problem that I only know what one character means and not the words, but I'm studying words along side with the characters. It helps me to learn new words, knowing what characters it consists of. I haven't seen that list on Cantodict before though, thanks for the suggestion!

silverpolyglot
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
silverchallanges.wor
Joined 4709 days ago

42 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: English*, Somali
Studies: French, Swedish, Mandarin

Message 19 of 116
31 December 2011 at 7:03am | IP Logged 
Good luck on both your studies and the challenge! I'm excited to read your log as you are
studying both Cantonese and Mandarin at the same time! What are your impressions on the
Teach Yourself series? I was thinking of starting it for Swedish.

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4754 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 20 of 116
01 January 2012 at 7:10pm | IP Logged 
Just dropping by to post you the list of team logs so that you can find it easily:

Team Logs Here

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 21 of 116
06 January 2012 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
It's finally time to update my log and start the TAC 2012! I arrived in Hong Kong three
days ago and have therefor been very busy with orientation programmes and adjusting. So
far loving it, but not much language studies has been done. I have tried to use as much
of my Cantonese as I can, which is not that much. I noticed that my biggest problem is to
understand what they are saying to me. But I can feel that my ears are getting adjusted
to hearing Cantonese already and I'm able to catch more ^^ What made my day was when my
new Cantonese friends complemented me on my pronunciation and said that if they hadn't
seen me talking they would have mistaken me for a local :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

NickJS
United Kingdom
flickr.com/photos/sg
Joined 4754 days ago

264 posts - 334 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 22 of 116
06 January 2012 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
It's finally time to update my log and start the TAC 2012! I arrived in Hong Kong three
days ago and have therefor been very busy with orientation programmes and adjusting. So
far loving it, but not much language studies has been done. I have tried to use as much
of my Cantonese as I can, which is not that much. I noticed that my biggest problem is to
understand what they are saying to me. But I can feel that my ears are getting adjusted
to hearing Cantonese already and I'm able to catch more ^^ What made my day was when my
new Cantonese friends complemented me on my pronunciation and said that if they hadn't
seen me talking they would have mistaken me for a local :D

That's good to hear! I bet you'll be able to understand them in no time because your immersed :P.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 23 of 116
07 January 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
I've only used TY for Cantonese and a little for Thai. My expression of the Cantonese
one is that they moved on from really easy to much more difficult with faster
conversations really quickly. Maybe that's okay for languages that are easier to learn,
but with Cantonese I think that's too quick. Fortunately I already knew some Cantonese
and the tones, so it was easier for me to follow. Not sure if TY is build up the same
for every language though.

@NickJS: I certainly hope so! I'd really like to be able to hold a conversation as soon
as possible!

It's always fun to see the reaction when I say something in Cantonese.
They are always so happy! Unfortunately that might lead to a long stream of rapid
Cantonese words which I can't understand!

Edited by WingSuet on 07 January 2012 at 5:37pm

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 24 of 116
07 January 2012 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
I'm super envious of your long stay in Hong Kong. It's really is a wonderful city. I'll be visiting for two weeks in
February and I'm really looking forward to being able to speak Canto to everyone (it's such a fun language!). 加油努
力 (gaa1 jau4 nou5 lik6) and enjoy your stay. Make sure to take a trip up to the Peak and look out over all the city.
Best time is to do it just before sunset, so you can watch the sky darken and a million lights light up below.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version