Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 9 of 116
05 September 2011 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
So I'm finally finished with the radicals (although I skipped some of them that seemed rare) and have started on the list of the most common Chinese characters again. I've now done a little more than half of the 500 most common ones, which is my goal for this year. I'm now learning 5 new characters every day.

I've also taken a short break from Teach Yourself and started adding flashcards from my book "Fun with Cantonese verbs" which basically presents 70 Cantonese verbs and other words made up from these words.

To do something a little more interesting I've also translated the prologue of "Beauty and the Beast" in Cantonese with the help of my friend who provided the transliteration. I've listened to this prologues many times before but were only able to pick up a few things.
1 person has voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 10 of 116
23 October 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
I have now reached 350 of the most common characters. Only about 150 to go for this year! I need to keep a good pace now to make it in time. The 6 weeks challenge couldn't have come at a better time :)

I have also finished the 15 first units of Teach Yourself. Have now learned useful vocabulary for making a trip, which is just what I need before I go to Hong Kong in January.

hkboy
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5471 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Cantonese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 116
24 October 2011 at 4:35am | IP Logged 
Good luck with the characters. That obviously has been the hardest part for me. I stopped studying them for awhile but now I'm back at it - a little bit everyday.

I was reading your log and I saw you were using "Fun with Cantonese Verbs". It reminded me that I have it too. I'll dig it up and go through it.

Keep up the good work!

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 12 of 116
01 November 2011 at 9:50am | IP Logged 
The timing couldn't be better! Today I finally got the answer: I've been accepted to five months of study in Hong Kong! On the same day that the 6 weeks challenge starts! This should give me lots of motivation to study Cantonese the next 6 weeks! I just wish I had more time right now, but soon most of my school projects will be over and I can focus more on language studies.

I've now reached 400 characters! Only 100 to go and two months to learn them! I've also finished TY unit 17. I've been focusing more on the characters lately, seeing the number go up is so much fun!

hkboy
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5471 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 

Message 13 of 116
01 November 2011 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
That's great! Where will you be studying? Did you mention how you were going about studying the characters?

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 14 of 116
01 November 2011 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
You go, WingSuet! I'm quite envious of you. I've only stayed a month in Hong Kong. It's a fantastic place. If it weren't for the bad working conditions (high pressure, few vacation days) I might move there.

EDIT: By the way, have you checked out Popup Cantonese? It seems to have a similar structure to my favorite Mandarin resource ChinesePod. I'd sign up in a snap if they only had more advanced lessons. If you do decide to use it, feel free to try out my ChinesePod method, which helped me get good results with my Mandarin. It should be useable with Popup Cantonese, too.

Edited by Ari on 01 November 2011 at 10:23am

2 persons have voted this message useful

hkboy
Groupie
Hong Kong
Joined 5471 days ago

65 posts - 86 votes 

Message 15 of 116
01 November 2011 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Great that Simon is here. He is the Chinese language master. I agree, it's nice living here but the holidays suck! I'm actually thinking of taking out a subcription to Popupchinese just to help them out.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 16 of 116
13 December 2011 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
hkboy: I'll be studying at Baptist University as an exchange student. At the beginning I just started with a simple book going through a few common radicals. After that I wrote some lyrics and got myself familiar with the radicals. Then I found this website: http://www.zein.se/patrick/3000char.html and have been following it since, with a break to actually learn all radicals and what they mean.

Ari: Yeah, I've been using Popup Cantonese a bit :) They had interesting stuff, but after a while I decided to go back and finish TY. I'm still working on that. Thanks for the tip!

So about my progress. I have finally reached my goal for this year to learn the 500 most common characters! :D Actually, it was about two weeks ago, but I've been kinda busy lately :P At first I didn't know what to do next. Should I focus on other things like Ty or just learn more characters? After a few days break I went back to learning characters again :) I've also reached unit 20 in TY :)

I took part in 6WC with Cantonese, finishing at 22nd place with 32 hours of study. As this was my first challenge I go through with I am satisfied. My goal for the next 6WC is to break that record!

Edited by WingSuet on 13 December 2011 at 10:05pm

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version