169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 65 of 116
07 August 2012 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Takato wrote:
WingSuet wrote:
Sometimes I miss the time when I was
focusing on one language only, it was much easier that way and I made more progress.

Oh, I thought learning multiple languages each day gives the benefit of being more
efficient based on the principle that if one learns twice a week 5 hours then it's a
worse use of time compared to learning five times a week 2 hours, therefore learning
multiple languages each day would be like 10+10+44 benefit points achieved each day
(learning 1 hour Tagalog, 1 hour Indonesian and 5 hour Tibetan) instead of the 58
benefit points achieved when learning just Tibetan for 7 hours a day. But then it seems
I'm wrong, based on your thought.

I guess it really depends on whether you study all languages every day and how much. If
you only manage to study one language ten minutes or less a day because you spend more
time on the other languages, then you won't progress much at all. That's been the case
lately for Cantonese, which is why I started missing spending all my time on Cantonese,
which I did before. I'm trying to spend equally long time on all my languages, but I
usually only have time for two long study sessions a day and Cantonese is the language
that usually suffers.

Takato wrote:
WingSuet wrote:
pronunciation and the definition on the other
side

Is it easy for you to learn the pronunciation of 漢字? I don't really learn
pronunciation for Mandarin 漢字 because I don't know how to and why to.

I find that learning the pronunciation of the character helps me remembering what the
character means. When trying to read texts in characters it makes more sense to read
them out with their pronunciation so that you'd be reading in that language, rather
than just translating right away. When I was in Hong Kong I could sometimes understand
character combinations I had never seen before by reading them out loud and realizing I
had learned the word before, only not the characters together. For example, I knew how
to say "airport" in Cantonese, but didn't know how to write it. I did know the
characters separately, so when reading the pronunciation 'fei1 gei1 cheung4' I
understood it means 'airport'. Does that make sense?

Takato wrote:
WingSuet wrote:
I did 50 new words on Memrise every day [...] Spanish
[...] German [...] reading the book [...] most time consuming part is looking up all
the words in the dictionary and learning them, so it's going pretty slow right now.
This coming week I'll try to read more, even if I haven't had time to look up all the
words from the last reading.

What I don't like in materials like Memrise is that you can't skip learning unimportant
words, like handle (e.g. handle of a door). (Can you?) I like picking up words in
context more.
Reading natives material, on the other hand, seem to be somewhat overwhelming in
comparison, right? Well, I don't know if it helps, but it gets easier each time you
read. Maybe it would be motivating to track down how much time it takes to read a page,
and then you'd be able to see how the easiness level increases? Although it's
motivating enough to read materials you like to read, I guess...
Also, I myself found subtitles easier to comprehend in comparison with books. What's
your thought about it? I would be pleased to see your opinion.

Yeah, that's one downside to Memrise, I'd also like to skip some words that don't seem
very useful, but many of them are. I like having two sources where I find new words.
Using native material is certainly more interesting, but there are also many difficult
words which you still need to know to understand the texts. Also, even though I
understand the easier words when I'm reading them, I can usually not remember them out
of context. Memrise allows me to really learn those easy words and not just understand
them passively.
Reading in German is actually not too difficult right now. I read a book in the
language before and that really increased my reading ability in the language. I can
usually guess what many words mean even if I haven't seen them before, especially if
they are similar to my own language, Swedish. But I still need to look up a few words
in each page, but I always do that afterwards to not interrupt my reading.
I haven't used subtitles in my target language much, so I can't really comment on
whether it's easier or not.
1 person has voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 66 of 116
21 August 2012 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm going on vacation for a week, so I won't have much time for language study. I'm
going to bring my book in German though and I have dialogues in Cantonese on my mp3 so
I hope to get some studying done at least. Here is what I've been doing the last couple
of weeks.

Cantonese
I've now finally finished with all Teach Yourself units. It feels great to finally be
done with it! I've now started on Colloquial Cantonese and finished the first lesson.
These lessons are shorter than in TY and there are fewer of them so I should be able to
finish this course quicker. I've also finally started going through the Chinese
characters that I used to know again. I've reviewed about 300 of them so far, still
more than half to go :P.

Spanish
Not much done here, I've continued my deck on Memrise and seen about 1000 cards so far,
only 3000 to go...

German
I've seen all the cards from my deck on Memrise, now I just need to harvest them all.
I'm thinking about starting another deck, but I need to decide which one first. I've
ordered a grammar book that I need for my course this autumn, thought I would go
through some of it before I start as I've forgotten a lot of the essentials.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 67 of 116
13 September 2012 at 8:34pm | IP Logged 
And that was the end of the 6 weeks challenge. I ended up on 24th place in the target
language part with 2197 points (36 h 37 min), and 27th place in the all languages part
with 3367 points (56 h 7 min). I'm pretty happy with the score, this was my best
challenge when I didn't have language classes during the whole challenge (only a few
classes the last week).

So the German course started last week, one whole semester with only German, yay! :D
The teachers started the semester by speaking nothing but German on the first
introduction day. I was a little surprised, but I think it's really good! This way we
get to really hear the language a lot and get used to it. I understand most of what
they say (except for the first history lesson, that one was tough!), but I noticed that
I'm horrible at speaking! Hopefully I will get better at that soon...

We only have classes three times a week, but we got a lot of homework! I need to read
two short stories in German by Monday, do homework for the grammar course by Tuesday
and read a chapter in the German history book by Wednesday. Especially the history book
is very difficult. But with all this exposure to the language I should be able to learn
a lot during this semester :D

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 68 of 116
16 November 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
It's really about time for an update, but at least it's learning German that has made
me so busy!

As I've said before, I'm studying German full time at University, and I feel that I've
made so much progress! From the first week when I could barely introduce myself and had
forgotten all vocabulary, to now when I can discuss the content and message of books
and hold a long conversation in German! :) And all this in only a few months! I wonder
then what another year of German studies can do!

Yesterday I had an oral exam in the literature and the conversational module and was
approved in both, and I almost reached the higher grade (there are only two approved
grades at the University in Sweden) :D It was such a relief, as I was terrified before
the exam! I got some really good feedback too so now I feel more sure of what I can and
can't do in the language, and my teacher told me she believes I have a lot of
potential!

One thing I need to approve is my grammar when I'm speaking, my grammar is so much
better when writing. Somehow when I'm speaking I'm so concentrated at remembering the
words and getting my point across that I don't have time to worry about the right case
and article. Advice would be appreciated on how to deal with this!

I also got back the result from the German history test (to be written entirely in
German) and was really pleased to be approved there too with 60 points out of 75. I was
a little tired of German and not sure of my abilities before this, but now I feel so
much more motivated and confident and eager to learn more! I also found some good
German Rock music, I haven't managed to find any before and it really helps me with the
motivation!

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 69 of 116
03 December 2012 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
Only two weeks left of my German course, I have still two exams to write: Translation
and grammar. I guess there isn't much to prepare for the translation exam as I don't
know what text we will have to translate. I could practise some vocabulary and hope
that it will be the right one, and I could study some grammar. That way I'd be
preparing for my grammar exam at the same time.

So this is what I've been doing the past week:

Mandarin and Spanish
Just been keeping up on Mnemosyne, 1-3 minutes per day is enough to go through all the
cards.

Cantonese
I've tried catching up on all the cards on Mnemosyne. Once you stop going through them
and you have hundreds of cards waiting for you, it's harder to actually get it done.
Still got about 300 to go through and 100 to relearn.

German 8.18 hours
Well, this is where my focus has been of course, since I have so much to do for my
course. This week I have been reading the book Scherbenpark by Alina Bronsky for my
course "Litterature for young people". I find the book really good, mainly because of
how it's written, although I don't think it's really for young people. We only had a
week to read it, so I didn't have time to finish it before I had to hand in a one page
report on it. We had to pick a scene or a character in the book and explain why it's an
important part of the book. This is the third analysis of this kind we did in this
course, the other two books were "Rico, Oskar und die Tieferschatten" by Andreas
Steinhöfel and "Die wilden Hühner und die Liebe" by Cornelia Funke.

I also watched Pocahontas in German :) At first I kept comparing the voices to those of
the Swedish version that I grew up with, and thus kept complaining about them not being
as good as the Swedish ones, but once I stopped comparing them in my head and started
concentrating on the German voices, they were actually not that bad! Although John
Smith really sings terribly in German :P I found it not too difficult to understand,
although I had some help from already knowing many of the lines in Swedish.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 70 of 116
12 December 2012 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
In a few days I have my final exam in German, so I’m sitting down to study some
Cantonese :P Maybe that’s not the smartest thing to do, but after all this time
studying only German, I really miss the nice sound of the tones and the beauty of the
Chinese characters! I found my old notebook that I've been writing in since when I
first began learning Cantonese. It was really a trip down memory lane! At the beginning
I had written down notes on Pimsleur, which was the first program I used to learn
Cantonese. I immediately noticed a few mistakes, but by then I didn't really know how
to transcribe Cantonese, and I had to guess the tones. I've updated it a few times
since then, but some mistakes are still there :P I had lots of notes about Chinese
characters and even lyrics to a Cantonese song. It was fun to go back in time and
remember my little obsessity ^^. Back then I was so into the language, more than I've
ever been in a language! It made me think what a waste all that time would be if I
didn't keep at it. So now I've put on my favourite Cantonese band Soler and sat down to
review the characters once again. :)

Oh, I forgot to tell you how my translation exam went! We had to translate a Swedish
text into German. I think I did okay, hopefully it will be enough to pass. I already
know some mistakes I did and there were a few words that I didn't know and couldn't
work my way around, such as "boot". But still, I think I did good, but I'll know for
sure when I get the results.

Edited by WingSuet on 12 December 2012 at 11:50pm

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5146 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 71 of 116
17 January 2013 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
TAC 2013
This will be my first update for TAC 2013.

Yesterday we had an introduction to the German university course, continuing from last
semester. We met our new teacher, who is from Germany, and she seems really nice! This
semester we will practise translation, grammar, conversation and writing essays. We
will also study history of German literature, fonetics and history of the German
language, all of which I'm really looking forward to! We'll also be reading NINE books
this semester:

Kleiner Mann - Was nun? by Hans Fallada
Effi Briest - Theodor Fontane
Homo Faber - Max Frisch
Die Leiden des jungen Werther - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bahnwärter Thiel - Gerhard Hauptmann
Jugend ohne Gott - Ödön von Horvath
Das Urteil und andere Erzählungen - Franz Kafka
Kleider machen Leute - Gottfried Keller
Der Vorleser - Bernhard Schlink

The first book, Kleider machen Leute, we have until Tuesday, but it's only about 60
pages, so it shouldn't be a problem. This semester I'll really try not to fall behind
in my reading like I did last year.

Edited by WingSuet on 21 January 2013 at 11:59am

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 72 of 116
20 January 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Please let us know how you like those books. Sounds like a great class! Welcome to Schnitzel, BTW.

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version