Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5147 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 33 of 116
13 March 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Hi Takato! Sorry for the late answer, but for some reason I didn't get a notification
from this thread, though I've turned it on many times already!

To answer your questions. Before I came here I thought the English situation would be
better in Hong Kong. I guess this totally depends on where you go. In central Hong Kong
almost everyone speak English, though they are certainly not bilingual. When you go
outside that area though, for example north Kowloon, where I live, you meet many people
who don't speak English, or have limited knowledge, including waiters, shop owners and
clerks. You never hear Chinese people speaking English on the streets, it's always
Cantonese or Mandarin. I don't think of Hong Kong English as a dialect, it's more like
a foreign language to them.

I haven't watched much TV, except when they show it in restaurants, and I have only
seen Chinese dramas with Chinese subtitles. I'm sure there are English channels though,
although I don't know if there are any dubbed shows.

There are classes conducted entirely in English, so that's not a problem. Some of them
are held as a lecture, some are more like lessons with smaller classrooms and more
interaction between the teacher and the students. I'm not sure I understand your
question about the emphasis on major language skills...

I came here as a part of my university program in Sweden. When you go through your
university you will get a lot of help with applications etc. and you pay the same price
as in your own country (which is zero for me :)), but you do have to pay for and book
the plane ticket yourself. I'm studying at Baptist University and here we can get
reserved rooms at the universisty dorms for about 6500 HKD per semester.

Just let me know if you have any other questions. Hopefully you'll have the opportunity
to go on an exchange yourself, this is the best thing I've ever done in my life!
1 person has voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5147 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 34 of 116
13 March 2012 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Now for an update. I haven't written anything for about three weeks, mostly because
I've been very busy with exams and travelling and haven't been able to study as much as
I would have liked to. I made up for it this week though :) Total study time: 20.35
hours.

Cantonese 7.05 hours
I've decided to pay more attention to my Cantonese now. I have only two more months in
Hong Kong and I feel like I haven't learned much during the time I've been here. This
week I have relearned a lot of forgotten vocabulary and watched some Cantonese movies,
some of them from Disney as it helps that I already know the story. Tomorrow I have a
Cantonese test, so we'll see how that goes. The classes are still fairly easy for me,
so it shouldn't be a problem.

Mandarin 5.32 hours
This week I've mostly been working on vocabulary I learned in my class. I needed to
memorize a dialogue to present in front of the class with another student and today I
had a listening test. I think the test went very well, the tones at least are not so
difficult to me since I already learned to distinguish between different tones when I
learned Cantonese.

Spanish 7.98 hours
I had a mid-term test last week which I think went pretty well. We had to write some
texts and I think my writing has improved a lot. My speaking is still pretty bad
though, when I try to say something the grammar comes out all wrong and I can't
remember the correct words. I should work more on that and I intent to be more active
during classes and speak more in Spanish.

Goals for this week:
Cantonese: Learn more vocabulary for food, start using Teach Yourself again and start
going through the Chinese characters again.
Spanish: Review the pronouns.

Edited by WingSuet on 13 March 2012 at 1:30pm

Takato
Tetraglot
HungaryRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4844 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, EnglishB2, GermanB2, Japanese

Message 35 of 116
14 March 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your answers! ^^
WingSuet wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your
question about the emphasis on major language skills...

These skills are writing, reading, speaking and listening (at least I think so). I'm mostly interested in whether you learn Hanzi or speaking the most.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5147 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 36 of 116
19 March 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
Takato: I see! So you mean the Cantonese classes. Unfortunately we don't learn any Hanzi
at all during classes, although we learn a few in Mandarin. In Cantonese the emphasis is
on speaking (pronunciation) and learning to read and write in romanisation.

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5147 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 37 of 116
19 March 2012 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
This week I didn't reach my goal of 5 hours per language because of inactivity during
the weekend. Total study hours: 12.22

Cantonese 3.82 hours
Not much progress here. But I finally started going through the Chinese characters
again. I had forgotten most of them, so now I'll have to start relearning them all over
again. It should go quicker though, since I still have some memory of them somewhere in
my brain.

Mandarin 4.55 hours
I haven't been very motivated to focus on my Mandarin lately. Maybe it would help if I
had more learning material, right now I'm just using the class text book which is
really boring. I'd like to try out Teach Yourself sometime, but that will have to wait
for now.

Spanish 3.85 hours
I've been working on some grammar, going through the pronouns again and the differences
between preterit and imperfect. These are rules I used to know some years ago, but
forgot when I stopped studying Spanish.

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4844 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 38 of 116
26 March 2012 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
You haven't made an update in the last week, so do some update on your progress, please. I'm interested in your log! Keep up the good work!

Edited by Takato on 26 March 2012 at 5:19pm

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5147 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 

Message 39 of 116
26 March 2012 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
@Takato: I was actually going to update today ;) I try to update every Monday about the
past week. But thanks for reminding me! Always nice to know that someone is following
the log!

I wasn't anywhere near my goal of 15 hours this week. Since the end of 6 Week Challeng
my motivation has gone way down and I don't study much on my freetime anymore. This
week I need to get back on track! Total study time: 8.3 hours

Cantonese 1.33 hours
Only 80 minutes of Cantonese last week, not good! Not much progress in other words, but
I got back the results from the test we had two weeks ago and I got 96 points out of
100, best in class, so I'm still happy :) I also had some use of my Cantonese when
trying to find out which bus to take and from where. Always a good feeling when you
manage to have a successful conversation, even if it's short.

Mandarin 2.68 hours
I also got back the results from the Mandarin listening test and it turned out even
better than the Cantonese one: 100 percent!! But I must admit, it was very easy. This
week we going to have a conversation in Mandarin in pairs in front of the class,
although it's not very long.

Spanish 4.28 hours
We have been going through past tense in Spanish during the lessons and I finally feel
like I'm getting better at using this in spontaneous speech. Last week we had
presentations for five minutes where we talk about any topic, but in a fun way. I
described the cultural differences between Hong Kong and Sweden, including how Hong
Kong people talk really loud compared to the Swedes and how they walk so incredibly
slowly! I think it went alright, but I wasn't as prepared as I would have wanted to be.
Funny thing is that I got back my written composition from two weeks ago and I noticed
that I made lots of mistakes on the plural s-ending of adjectives describing a plural
noun, but didn't do this mistake when writing my presentation. I don't know what I was
thinking at that time, but I do know the rule for this!

Goal for this week: Simply study more, especially Cantonese, and get back on track!

Takato
Tetraglot
Joined 4844 days ago

249 posts - 276 votes 

Message 40 of 116
28 March 2012 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
WingSuet wrote:
update every Monday [...] I don't study much on my freetime anymore. [...] Total study time: 8.3 hours

Cantonese [...] test [...] I got 96 points out of
100, best in class, so I'm still happy :) [...]
Mandarin listening test [...] 100 percent!!

These last days seemed to be like weeks to me, but then it looks like they only made up a week. o.o
Congratulations for having got so good results in these two tests! Even if the Mandarin test was easy, it's a good thing to have it done without any mistake, because it means that you could concentrate on it well, so it didn't went like the plural endings in Spanish. I have some problems with writing, too. I sometimes write one instead of won and make other such mistakes...
What causes me to study less is nothing else than browsing the Internet too much. I don't have a definite solution for it, but it helped me to learn using the Internet. The other helpful thing was browsing the net for one hour, using my language book for another, and doing these things consecutively for almost the whole day. I learned 7 hours one day this way. I don't know if it works for more days in a row, but I hope this helps you somehow.

Edited by Takato on 28 March 2012 at 2:15pm

This discussion contains 116 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version