264 messages over 33 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 32 33 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 264
05 January 2012 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Happy New Year, Serpent! I'm so excited to be on one of your TAC Teams this year!
Happy New Year!!!
I'm excited to be your teammate too<33333

cathrynm wrote:
Oh wow, what an interesting set of languages. I'm curious how you do with Karelian. I assume you use Russian materials to study this?

I used Russian resources originally but this was frustrating.. Two years ago I bought some Finnish-based materials but it was a bit too late, the motivation wasn't the same anymore. I have a great dictionary with plenty of examples and I add them to SRS every now and then. The textbook itself is great in that it only describes the differences... but it's also a bit weird, as even if I know they only picked the words that follow this or that pattern, how can I translate into Karelian? That's not translating, that's changing the letters the appropriate way.
I'd love a textbook like that for Belarusian or Spanish though. Ah if only I had it a bit earlier...
I'm planning to make a mini-lesson on Karelian for anyone who's interested:)

So now an update. I've been reading surprisingly much. I look back at my notes and I see that I normally read far less in my active phase. I suppose the main thing is that in this phase, a sense of achievement is important, and I'm doing tadoku. I also have the right kind of books for this phase - a biography and these awesome jokes. Fortunately, Forlán's life has not been like a detective story, so I read chapter by chapter, or even less, and calmly put the book aside and move on. I do need to switch from one activity to another, so that's a good way to avoid feeling frustrated because you want to continue but at the same time you want to do something else. It doesn't help that I'm a Gemini :PPP

Been also L-R'ing Harry Potter though - changes of the language or speed also count. But still it was more fun to grab the last book and read some bits - I already know practically all the plot but I've not yet read the last three books properly. This time though I "grabbed" a PDF in Italian.

Also, I ordered some books online, my friend's gf is in Portugal so it's much easier than ordering them to Russia... The most important ones aren't available though, and I found them via livejournal. Had to send a couple of emails and that was surprisingly easy<333
I'd even say that the active phase is better for online shopping (you're sensible and less likely to buy what you don't need - and handling credit cards, shipping, terms etc is easy) while the expressive phase is better for going to physical stores (you're talkative and won't be too shy to ask questions). Well it's like that for me at least, obviously many people use credit cards routinely and many are talkative all the time :D But for me it's important to have figured this out.

Revisited my goals btw, like I meant to.
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5130 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 10 of 264
12 January 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I'm planning to make a mini-lesson on Karelian for anyone who's interested:)

It depends what you mean by 'mini' but I'd be interested, just for a bit of fun.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 264
29 January 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
No posts for over two weeks... was busy with exams and, well, studying languages :P Now I'm at grandma's, in Vitebsk; my life's been very peaceful for once so I was like "oh right, my log... um whatever". Today's mention in the "logs you like" thread made me go over my notes and write a new post, though.

Thanks for your interest, hribecek! It'll be just a fun thing, nothing too epic:)

I found a great new activity during my "mellow" phase (ovulation). Even though I like a lot of music in Romance languages... it doesn't match the Finnish one :P But I've found youtube videos with Spanish subtitles for it! As it counts for tadoku, I've been watching them a lot. I also looove lyricstraining.com - I've registered and my ranking is already 35,000+ (and I used it without registering for half the month)

I've also had to admit to myself that I don't always like the sound of Indonesian - the lessons from GLOSS are often, well, not unpleasant but just ugh. I suppose I'm more sensitive about that during the aforementioned phase though.

Not surprisingly, I've read a lot less during PMS than in other phases. This time is more about striving for creativity than achieving something. I think I'll pick a more modest goal next time, keeping in mind that every week of the month will be different.

Been thinking way too much about my goals btw. aaaaargh how during PMS you feel everything's wrong in your life. Helps to notice that maybe something's slightly off though.
instead of Italy, we're hopefully going to Prague and Warsaw in May. that's relieving because it means I can focuse on Portuguese for a few months after tadoku ends, but this also means I need to learn some Polish by then, rather than start it the day 6WC starts.
so let's see. in the coming half a year my focuses are German (failed exam), Portuguese, Indonesian (friend coming), Polish. I also need just enough Danish to start benefitting from watching football matches in it. And we'll actually spend more time in Prague than in Warsaw, so I gotta learn some Czech too I suppose.... but how much? and when to start? After I pass German, I think.

Whatever. Life has been really forcing me to improve my tadoku score and I think I'll obey :P

Edited by Serpent on 30 January 2012 at 10:30am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 12 of 264
30 April 2012 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Thought I'd post some cyclic stats from the previous 6WC before the new one starts.

(stats can be viewed here)

First of all the basic ones:

active phase - 4852 mins in 15 days
ovulation - 2781 mins in 9
pms - 1670 mins in 5 days
reflective phase - 3727 mins in 13 days

The most striking difference is between the reflective phase (period) and the active phase that follows it. over 1000 minutes more! I don't think the 2-day difference accounts for it. I haven't done 1000 minutes in 2 days since I was a beginner in Finnish :-)))

Really fascinating to look at the active and reflective columns. I repeat, the difference is just TWO days.
I didn't suffer from pain and I wouldn't say there were any other objective factors that could make me study less.

Here are the average numbers, in hours:

active 5.391
ovulation 5.15
pms 5.56
reflective 4.778

The only average below 5 hours, and also the only two days when my total time was under 200 minutes - this was all in the phase where it's only natural to have less energy. So ladies, don't push yourself too hard in that time of the month! Relax if you need to and don't feel guilty. The body needs this recovery time. It's also a good time for passive activities, so the best thing to do is to curl up with a book or in front of the TV. Be in harmony with your body, and it will pay you back.

I admit some of the stats surprised me though, and didn't really match ny expectations. I think of several languages, most notably Croatian and Italian, as romantic, and I thought I do them most when I feel romantic myself. The stats don't really confirm this, especially with Croatian. I think it was overridden by my desire to do something in my target language, which was Indonesian. I listened to lots and lots of music in this phase - so much that I managed to compensate for not being as eager to do GLOSS and other similar stuff as during the active phase.

another note that I have, from the same stage:

very motivated by the look of my charts - a desire to make them even more colourful, to do the same activities in more languages. this is pretty much absent in the male-like active phase. the final stats are better thanks to music, but before i found any music i liked, i was shocked at how much more i studied indonesian in my active phase just because of the ranking.

Colourful charts! lol!!!!!
Can't wait to see my new charts:) this time I'll be entering the competition in the active phase so it should give me a headstart :P

Edited by Serpent on 30 April 2012 at 9:09pm

Rowerzysta
Poland
Joined 4393 days ago

12 posts - 20 votes

Message 13 of 264
30 April 2012 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Hey, I will have to study your charts. And I hope we can talk about them one day in Wrocław. ;-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 14 of 264
01 May 2012 at 12:35am | IP Logged 
Arvasin siis oikein kun näin sun viestit muualla!
Tota, noi on eniten naisten juttuja... puhuisin mieluummin vaikka jalkapallosta ;)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 15 of 264
30 May 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Some thoughts from like a week ago:

"This time of the month" is a time when I'm more sensitive to foreign sounds and when I thinkthinkthink and dig out what's hidden in my soul.

So randomly musing: the difference between the Romance languages in my life is that I welcomed Portuguese and Italian, but Spanish pretty much entered my life on its own. It offers me everything I lack in those languages.

Another sad realization is that the formula "classroom study+self study=awesome skills" doesn't work for me. It was like that with Portuguese so I really don't know why I didn't realize straight away that it's also my problem with German! Oh god, I had an awesome opportunity last year, out of uni for 7 months...and I focused on the Romance languages when I should've focused on German! IDK what to do now. I suppose my options are
-focusing on it this summer
-focusing on it next summer
-studying just as much as i need to pass, maybe as a challenge - "can uni make me fluent without self-study?"
("dropping" the class is not an option as here the study plan isn't flexible at all and you don't "take" subjects... there's just a list of what you gotta pass each term, and a schedule for each group)

The choice will be obvious if Germany wins Euro 2012. If it doesn't... Hm.

---
and oh god, I really miss this sensitivity to foreign sounds. I've had some different thinking (active phase, you know...) and I now have a more proper theoretical picture of the Slavic consonants...but even when I pay attention I can't listen as open-mindedly as in the previous phase.

IDK if I've mentioned here that I think I've finally chased the Italian u. Of course it was also that phase.

Oh well, I'm coping with uni stuff and I don't need that much rest AND I don't feel like I'm missing out on language learning... so I'm happy with the phase I'm in.

Marikki
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 5276 days ago

130 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Spanish, Swedish
Studies: German

Message 16 of 264
10 June 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Moi Serpent!

Laitoin Mick33:lle linkin Nuorgam-lehteen ja huomasin, että siinä on ainakin yksi juttu, joka sopii sulle - 2000-luvun suomalaiset futisbiisit. No joo, ne on aika hirveitä...vähän niinkuin suomalainen futiskin taitaa olla :) En tosin kyllä jalkapallosta mitään ymmärrä.

http://www.nrgm.fi/artikkelit/pista-pallo-maaliin-2000-luvun -suomalaiset-futisbiisit/

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 264 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version