264 messages over 33 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 32 33 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 264
18 July 2012 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I'll get a couple of books in Danish VERY soon.
I jinxed that. The books didn't arrive on time >__<

Thought I'd update my list of money spent on Super materials. The German books were in the same order so I still don't have them:( I've also got two 100-page books in Swiss German but it was my dad who bought them for me in Switzerland, and I consider this a gift. I also have no clue how much they cost so I'm not including them.

Polish:
1. HP 3 - 35 złoty
2. a Warsaw guidebook for football fans - about 20 złoty
3. a book about football - 27 złoty
+two football phrasebooks that don't really count
total: 82 złoty, ie about 20 €.

German:
1. Johanna Sinisalo - Troll - 14.5 €
2. Moomins - 22 €
(only ordered these so far, don't have them yet. under 40 €)

Portuguese:
1. Paulo Coelho - O Alquimista - 14.9 €
2. Paulo Coelho - O Diário de um Mago - 14.9 €
3. Dan Brown - O Código da Vinci - 16.9 €
total: 46.7 €

(I spent a total of 103 € in the store in Helsinki, as I also got the last two HP books in Spanish and Swedish respectively, but I'm not doing a challenge in these languages. Both books were only available as hardcover so they were about 30€ each)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 264
19 July 2012 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
this post won't be updated anymore, see this one on the first page instead!

Thought I'd make a separate post for my consistency thread goals:

07 days - Serpent, Polish, L2 audio+L2 text, 15 mins
6+4+3+2+1+3=18 days - Serpent, Polish, shadowing, 5 mins
3+2+3=8 days - Serpent, Polish, tongue twisters, 5 mins

(my original note about the first one: completed, got pretty comfortable with the spelling!)
These have helped me enormously before my trip to Poland. A lot of the shadowing was done during LR, as more and more phrases became so familiar that I felt like saying them aloud. I got quite a decent pronunciation, good enough to get difficult responses sometimes :P

1+2+5+3+1+10=22 days - Serpent, Spanish, one episode of Destinos on weekdays
watched the whole thing! I used subtitles, it helped my Spanish for sure. 6WC was a great excuse to watch it hehehe. I'll watch some of the episodes again for sure, like #41, 43, 15, 22 for example.

3+9+2+4=18 days - Serpent, Danish, one Super Challenge item (completed HP 4, far more comfortable with the language now)
6+1+1+1+2+2=13 days - Serpent, Portuguese, adding cards focusing on verb forms, 14 cards, later 10 mins (easily added 100 cards in 6 days, the next 100 were slower. satisfied with 200 cards for now, though aiming for 500 eventually and 1000 one day)

ACTIVE GOALS:
Italian, Reading (min 7 pages) - started midway through Tadoku on October 16 2013, hoping to continue until the November 6WC ends

other goals:

3+1+1 days
- Danish, LR for 30 minutes (abandoned)
2 days - Indonesian, singing (abandoned)
5+2 days - Portuguese, reading, 10 pages (abandoned though I'd better start this again)

Indonesian, learning one word of Sanskrit origin and its Devanagari spelling (planned)

Edited by Serpent on 01 January 2014 at 6:17am

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4632 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 27 of 264
20 July 2012 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
Serpent, just wanted to say you are very cool and an inspiration. I'm amazed at how many languages you can tackle. I'm struggling with only Japanese!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 28 of 264
20 July 2012 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
Awwww, thank you!!! :')
"only" Japanese, haha... this would be worth several European langs;) I admire anyone who loves it enough in order not to give up, and who had the courage to begin learning it in the first place *_* Especially if it's done before reaching fluency in any other language.
btw my dad is about high intermediate in Japanese <3 He learned it when the USSR collapsed and times were tough and he got a job as an interpreter, hehe. (a physicist by education...totally useless at that point :S) Sometimes he'd have to correct himself on the go, saying the Japanese are a bit strange XDDD

Edited by Serpent on 20 July 2012 at 5:12am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 29 of 264
20 July 2012 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
Well, it felt right to update my Portuguese to basic fluency. I still have a lot to learn, and I'm definitely not slowing down in my studies. As I said in my profile, I still need to work on my grammar; the intonation also deserves attention. I wouldn't say I'm bad at these but I for example haven't really worked consciously on the intonation. Hopefully the listening has helped.
And like every single learner, I still need more vocabulary. But that's why it's called basic fluency, not advanced :D

Thought it's important for future reference that by this point I had read 300 pages for the Super Challenge and watched 10 "films" (9 of them were football matches). I didn't need much of a nudge with my Portuguese, hehe.

Edited by Serpent on 24 July 2012 at 6:03am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 30 of 264
21 July 2012 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
And once again some 6WC conclusions before the new one starts.

Look at this:

That's my study of other languages during my 9-10 days in Poland. In addition to that I also did 3260 minutes of Polish. Not bad? ;)
Especially the former was only possible because these languages are a part of my lifestyle. No, it's not easy to keep studying while you travel. But just like at home it's a lifestyle choice.

Now about the cycle stuff. I had the tag romantic+ for when I did things during ovulation because they are romantic. Over two cycles, I registered 440 minutes that would've been perhaps spent doing other stuff if I wasn't aware of my need for romantic things in my life. Maybe that's not much, but it still matters to me.
The biggest surprise was however to realize that Spanish may well be a romantic language for me. I've never consciously thought of it as romantic.

IDK what else to analyze... My stats are here for now:)

Edited by Serpent on 21 July 2012 at 8:32pm

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5180 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 31 of 264
21 July 2012 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And once again some 6WC conclusions before the new one starts.

The new one starts in August? I forgot what the rules are with level.. I am not going to do exclusively one language, but I may try to focus a little more on one. Do you think my Italian or German are too high? I'd put German at a high A1 or low A2.. Probably put Italian at A2.

Maybe my Portuguese Assimil course will show up in the next week. That would be kind of cool, even though it would mean spreading myself even thinner than I am now. Or I could officially start Russian. Or try to knock down those pesky walls in Croatian.

Or maybe I could do something crazy like Polish or Hungarian of Japanese. =)

Serpent wrote:
Well, it felt right to update my Portuguese to basic fluency

That is super awesome. Congrats!

Edited by Kerrie on 21 July 2012 at 9:55pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 32 of 264
21 July 2012 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
*squishes* thank youuuu!!!!!!! :***
yeah the next one is in August and then November. As for the level, the max is B1/low intermediate. I personally think B1 is higher than low intermediate though XD
If you want to do crazy, do Polish :P it deserves more love and it'll help you with Russian and Croatian!

This discussion contains 264 messages over 33 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version