Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4957 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 361 of 431
28 May 2012 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Way to go, Tixhiidon! That's something to make us all Georgian learners very proud!
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5255 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 362 of 431
18 June 2012 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
I finally got to see the TV programme this morning, and it's really good. I didn't
bother watching it live, figuring I would be able to find a link somewhere soon enough,
and after a week of heavy searching I finally found one act=dvr&chan=imedi&seekTime=10-06-2012+18%3A04">here. It's not free - you have to
pay 20 lari for the privilege, but I've been promised it will be available free either
on YouTube or Imedi's website at some point so unless you're really really desperate,
wait a bit longer.

I was pretty certain I'd be cut, since the programme was about Japan and who wants to
see some random Brit who just so happens to live there and study Georgian? But no,
there I am, unshaven, in an old t-shirt, speaking Georgian with a terrible accent (much
worse than I'd realized - I could hardly understand myself :)

Apart from my little bit you get lots of interviews with my two teachers, Kojima-sensei
(who is the გმირი of the programme title იმედის გმირები) and his wife Medea, some
classroom scenes and interviews with my fellow students, lots of experts talking about
Japanese-Georgian relations, and a few stereotypical scenes of Japanese life (temples,
crowded streets, green tea), complete with plinky-plunky Japanese BGM.

The only thing I can't understand is that, even though the programme was broadcast a
full week ago, I still haven't had any film scripts or modeling contracts coming
through the letterbox. How can it be??

EDIT: Link hasn't worked, but anyway I'll post a new one when the free link turns up.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 18 June 2012 at 1:05am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5045 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 363 of 431
06 July 2012 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
Hey I watched it and it's great, I understood you well despite the accent. Story of your
teachers is quite interesting as well. Kojima-san speaks better Georgian than most of
journalists from that TV, haha :D

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5255 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 364 of 431
07 July 2012 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Thanks a lot Murdoc. Yeah, Kojima-san is an amazing guy. I'm so glad I was able to meet
him and study with him and his lovely wife.

Where did you see the programme by the way? It doesn't seem to be up on the Imedi
website yet so I still haven't found a free link.

Murdoc
Triglot
Georgia
Joined 5045 days ago

113 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: Georgian*, English, Russian

Message 365 of 431
07 July 2012 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
The stream you posted above is free in Georgia.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5255 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 366 of 431
13 August 2012 at 6:20am | IP Logged 
Just a quickie to let anyone interested know that I'm still alive and still, albeit
minimally, studying Georgian.

I'm in the middle of some rather huge upheavals in my private life at the moment, hence
the lack of updates. My study time is basically limited to a little bit of reading
during my commute and my weekly meetings with Medea, which at least give me the chance
to speak Georgian for an hour or two.

However, I'm determined, as things (hopefully!) settle down over the coming months, to
get right back into my Georgian. I'm feeling a gradually increasing urge to go back to
Tbilisi as soon as I can, and I have no intentions of giving up the language now that
I've put so much time and effort into getting this far with it.

So the big HTLAL crisis completely passed me by! Anyway, very glad to see the site
back up and running.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 13 August 2012 at 6:20am

2 persons have voted this message useful

zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5049 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 367 of 431
04 September 2012 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
It's not free - you have to
pay 20 lari for the privilege, but I've been promised it will be available free either
on YouTube or Imedi's website at some point so unless you're really really desperate,
wait a bit longer.

Any word on that yet?

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5255 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 368 of 431
26 October 2012 at 7:05am | IP Logged 
Well, another couple of months have gone by since my last post, and there's still no
clarity in the disaster that is my private life! However, the good news is that my
Georgian is nicely back on track and my motivation is on the up.

After again becoming frustrated with my lack of progress on the grammar front,
particularly my inability to form nice, clear, grammatically correct spoken sentences
during my conversation lessons with Medea, I decided to take a break from
კარიკატურისტი and go right back to Chapter 2 of Aronson. Yes, I know this is about
the fifth time I've studied this textbook, but each chapter is so incredibly dense
there's always plenty more to pick up that you missed the last time round.

I've been reading through the chapters and doing all the translation exercises from
English to Georgian. I managed this quite easily up to Chapter 7, but I found Chapter
8 pretty tough. Who knew Class III verbs were so complex? I'm going to write down a
few examples both for those who find that sort of thing interesting and to get it a bit
clearer in my own head.

So:
Class III verb ტირის means "to cry"
იტირებს is the future tense "he will cry"
Change the ი to ა to get a Class I ატირებს, which means "to makes sby cry"
Change the Class I verb ატირებს to a Class II დ type verb ატირდება, which means "to
start to cry", i.e. "to burst into tears"

Similarly:
დუღს - to boil
იდუღებს - it will boil
ადუღებს - to boil something
ადუღდება - to start boiling
But here you can also have აადუღებს which means "to cause sth to start boiling", i.e.
"to bring sth to the boil"
Similarly, მღერის - to sing, ამღერებს - to have someone sing, and აამღერებს - to
have someone start singing.

Not forgetting the Class II verbs in ე formed from Class III verbs!
ლაპარაკობს - to talk
ელაპარაკება - to talk to someone

Anyway, I'm now on Chapter 9, which is all about irregular verbs (and is therefore
27000 pages long, just kidding).

I'm still meeting Medea once a week, but she is moving back to Georgia next year so
sadly my conversation lessons will end unless she or I can find another Georgian
willing to put up with me blurting out semi-Georgian semi-nonsense for a couple of
hours a week.

And I did my first official Georgian-English translation the other day! A tenancy
agreement for Medea. It wasn't too difficult, and now I know the words for contract,
tenant, landlord, and lots of other useful vocab.

Zecchino1991, unfortunately the video of იმედის გმირები doesn't appear to be on any
websites anywhere. However, you can watch it on my Facebook page. I'll send you a
friend request and if you add me you can see it.

Finally, I'm planning on another trip to Georgian in May next year, but whether or not
I'll be able to pull that off is another matter.

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version