Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5255 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 169 of 431
27 September 2010 at 6:28am | IP Logged 
Ellasevia, you're right in that a couple of the students in my class have difficulty
with the pronunciation. On the other hand, the majority of them seem to manage it
quite well. I think the problems come from the grammar and vocabulary mostly. We seem
to be getting into a situation where about 3 or 4 of us, from a class of 9, have
managed to keep abreast of everything and absorb it all while the others are getting
more and more lost and falling further and further behind. The teacher can't simply
ignore the latter since they are paying customers, so as a result, the pace of the
class slows dramatically. An ideal solution would be to split the class in two, but of
course that's not practical at all, what with it being an adult education centre with
fixed times and so on. I guess that happens in most language classes, but as you said,
having Japanese as a native language doesn't exactly help.

Iversen, thanks for taking the time to comment on my log. I am an avid reader of
yours. Your trips to Georgia sound great, and I'm highly envious that you managed to
see the USSR before its collapse. I'm planning a trip to Georgia next year and
Mtskheta is on my itinerary, along with Gori (for the Stalin museum of course!) and
maybe Kazbegi and Davit Goreja.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6494 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 170 of 431
28 September 2010 at 1:10am | IP Logged 
I think you are too late to see the statue of Stalin in Gori ... but I guess that the museum is still there.

E}{pugnator
Brazil
Joined 4957 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 171 of 431
03 October 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon, I just went through your learning log and I find it quite encouraging. I've had an interest in Georgian since 2004 but only now after Kiziria's and after UZ-translations I could gather an encouraging set of resources to actually start studying it. Even so, I still regret that Assimil hasn't released a Georgian course yet. I find it rather unfair that they have a thick Armenian textbook but no Georgian méthode yet.
I've tried most of the books you mentioned but Lehrbuch des Georgischen Sprache. My knowledge on German and Russian is very limited so I've been trying to use Google translations so I can translate the unknown words in these source languages.
I have a learning log at Unilang site, but the georgian forum there is dead, pity that it happened by the time I was mostly motivated.
Will keep an eye at this thread as well as for any news regarding Georgian material.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5255 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 172 of 431
03 October 2010 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the message. Yes, it would be very nice to have Assimil and Pimsleur and
Linguaphone, but there are enough resources out there to make a good start on the
language. Good luck with your studies, and let me know how you get on!

Iversen, yes I read about the removal of the Stalin statue from Gori's main square.
There are some nice pictures of the removal operation here
http://www.radiotavisupleba.ge/photogallery/2082405.html?isA rticle=1
for those that are interested.

As for a quick update, everything is moving along smoothly. I'm currently thinking
about ditching my Saturday class and joining the intermediate class at the same school
on Wednesday evenings. Apparently these guys have been studying for around 5 years so
it should be a good challenge for me, which is exactly what I need. I won't be able to
join the class immediately since I'm already paid up until Christmas, but I'm going to
go and watch one of their classes just to make sure it's not way over my head.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 04 October 2010 at 12:00am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5933 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 173 of 431
04 October 2010 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
E}{pugnator wrote:
Even so, I still regret that Assimil hasn't released a Georgian course yet. I find it rather unfair that they have a thick Armenian textbook but no Georgian méthode yet.

What do you mean? They might not have a Georgian book from the "Sans Peine/With Ease/Ohne Mühe" series but Assimil certainly has a Georgian book, but in French: Le Géorgien de Poche.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5255 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 174 of 431
04 October 2010 at 2:51am | IP Logged 
ellasevia wrote:
What do you mean? They might not have a Georgian book from the "Sans
Peine/With Ease/Ohne Mühe" series but Assimil certainly has a Georgian book, but in
French: paramIdProduit=1787¶mIdMethode=1787">Le Géorgien de Poche.

Yeah, I've seen that, but it's just a phrasebook. Might be quite nice to have though,
and useful for practical things like restaurants and so on. Maybe I'll treat myself.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5933 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 175 of 431
04 October 2010 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
ellasevia wrote:
What do you mean? They might not have a Georgian book from the "Sans
Peine/With Ease/Ohne Mühe" series but Assimil certainly has a Georgian book, but in
French: paramIdProduit=1787¶mIdMethode=1787">Le Géorgien de Poche.

Yeah, I've seen that, but it's just a phrasebook. Might be quite nice to have though,
and useful for practical things like restaurants and so on. Maybe I'll treat myself.

Oh, I see. The description they give of it on the Assimil site makes it out to be more than that:

Assimil wrote:
Vous souhaitez pénétrer les mystères du géorgien, cette langue caucasique à l'écriture originale, appelée mkhedruli ? Alors plongez-vous dans ce guide, qui se propose de vous initier à l'une des plus anciennes langues écrites d'Europe orientale, aux ressemblances troublantes avec le basque. Grâce aux explications grammaticales et aux éléments de conversation, vous pourrez acquérir les rudiments de cette langue à la fois complexe et étonnante.

Assimil wrote:
An "On the Road" guide is a must for getting a better grasp of the local culture and coping with everyday situations. These original pocket-guides offer: keywords, common expressions, insights into local customs, and a glossary of more than 2,000 words*.

It's too bad. If they had an actual Assimil course for it, I'd snatch it up immediately!

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5255 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 176 of 431
11 October 2010 at 7:44am | IP Logged 
I spoke with Medea on Thursday and told her I was thinking about switching to the
intermediate class at my language school, and she agreed that it was a good idea. So I
spoke with the administrators at my Saturday lesson and they said I could do a trial
lesson in the intermediate class to make sure it wasn't way above my head, and if it is
OK, I can switch immediately, without having to stay in the beginner's class until
December. This is excellent news for various reasons. Firstly, it means I won't be
bored anymore in my Saturday class, secondly I'll get my Saturdays back to do what I
like, thirdly the new class will presumably be a good challenge for me, and fourthly
I've got a little motivation boost from this new twist in my Georgian tale. I'm going
to do the trial lesson the day after tomorrow so I'll report back afterwards.

Other than that, I'm working steadily through Biliki 2 both on my own and with Medea on
Thursdays, I'm still working my way slowly but surely through Jinsebis Taoba, and I'm
pretty into the Goldlist thingumajiggy and Byki for my vocabulary.

One of my classmates in the Saturday class gave us all some churchkhela, which is a
Georgian sweet made by covering walnuts in a kind of caramel, threading them on a
string, and hanging them up to dry. ძალიან გემრიელი იყო. I hope my classmates in
my new class will be as nice as these.

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version