NetherlandsRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5971 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, Russian
Studies: Georgian, Pashto

Message 257 of 431
30 July 2011 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Dear TixhiiDon,

I'm glad you enjoyed the trip to Georgia. Could you by any chance tell me which Georgian textbook you bought in Tbilisi; the book you mention in the post of May 17, 2011? I want to order the first two levels of the Biliki textbooks; the full set for the second level has just been published. The publisher, the Language School, referred me to Prospero's Bookstore. Have you ordered from them before?

I hope you can give me some advice.
Hendrik
1 person has voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5255 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 258 of 431
31 July 2011 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Hi Hendrik,
Thanks for your post. The textbook I bought in Georgia has an English title "Teach
Yourself Georgian" and a Georgian title ქართული ენის თვითმასწავლებელი, and it's by
Medea Kraveishvili and Grigol Nakhutsrishvili. I haven't looked at it properly yet,
but it is VERY grammar-heavy and I have a feeling it may be quite difficult to follow.
It contains lots of Georgian texts, though, which may be quite useful.

I bought the Biliki 2 textbook from Prospero's Books in Tbilisi, along with some other
stuff. It was about 100 lari, which is crazily expensive, and they didn't wrap it
carefully enough so the CDs broke on the journey. Be sure to tell them to wrap it
thoroughly! Postage was also very expensive to me here in Japan, but will probably be
cheaper for you.

However, the book itself is pretty good. It helped me get to grips with the perfect
tense especially. I will definitely buy books 3 and 4 if they ever see the light of
day.

I'm not sure what level you are at, but the best thing I bought from Prospero's Books
was a Georgian novel ჯინსების თაობა and its English translation "Flight from USSR", by
David Turashvili. The English translation is laughably bad, but the Georgian is quite
simple, and by reading the two side by side I managed to get through my first Georgian
novel. Great story too.

Anyway, the staff of the shop were very helpful so I'm sure they'll respond to any
questions you have.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5255 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 259 of 431
11 August 2011 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
Yey! 60,000 views! I know superficial stuff like that shouldn't matter, especially
since I almost never update these days, but it's nice to know at least a few people
have been following my progress with ქართული ენა.

The lack of updates is because there's not really a great deal to report. I'm still
going to classes on Wednesdays and Thursdays, still reading დავით ქართველიშვილი,
and still doing a little bit here and there with my Gold Lists, and that's about it.

There are some changes afoot, though. Sadly, in October my teacher Medea is returning
to Georgia indefinitely. Her husband is not going with her (not sure about the ins and
outs of the arrangement, and it certainly isn't my place to ask!) so he will be taking
over the Wednesday group lesson, but I guess my Thursday conversation class will end
unless Medea offers to find a replacement. As usual I have mixed feelings - it'll be
nice to get my Thursday nights back but a real აფსუს! to lose my Georgian conversation
practice, especially as I have been making good progress in that area recently.

However, Kojima-sensei on Wednesdays means back to some solid grammar practice, and
that's exactly what I need at the moment and what I just can't seem to force
myself to tackle at home, so it will be a welcome change in that respect.

By the way, Medea and Kojima-sensei have together created a website for Japanese people
interested in Georgia and Georgian people interested in Japan. The site is called
"Japan meets Georgia", and for all of you who can read both Japanese and Georgian, can
be found here A lot of it is still
under construction, but hopefully it will flourish in the coming weeks/months.

Another treat for all you Japanese-speaking Georgian learners is that Kojima-sensei has
written a Georgian textbook that will be published on September 18th. It's called
ニューエクスプレス グルジア語 by 児島康弘, and includes a CD narrated by Medea and a
Georgian guy living in Tokyo (possibly one of the sumo wrestlers!), and promises to be
a fantastic addition to the Kartvelology canon, albeit somewhat limited in use!

Ellasevia, you're the only person I can think of on HTLAA who may have some use for the
book, but I'm sure you'd find it interesting.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 11 August 2011 at 4:13am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5933 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 260 of 431
11 August 2011 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
Another treat for all you Japanese-speaking Georgian learners is that Kojima-sensei has written a Georgian textbook that will be published on September 18th. It's called ニューエクスプレス グルジア語 by 児島康弘, and includes a CD narrated by Medea and a Georgian guy living in Tokyo (possibly one of the sumo wrestlers!), and promises to be a fantastic addition to the Kartvelology canon, albeit somewhat limited in use!

Ellasevia, you're the only person I can think of on HTLAA who may have some use for the book, but I'm sure you'd find it interesting.

Are we really the only two people on here with some knowledge of Japanese and an interest in Georgian? I was sure there were at least a couple others... Then again, it's not exactly a common language combination. In any case, thank you for the recommendation -- I'm sure my Japanese is not good enough to benefit from it yet, but I'll keep it in mind for when I eventually get around to studying Georgian more seriously than an occasional dabble treat. Hopefully I'll be able to use Japanese as the base language to study another language by then...

E}{pugnator
Brazil
Joined 4957 days ago

9 posts - 9 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*

Message 261 of 431
13 August 2011 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon, maybe you could work with them on preparing an edition in English then! I'm sure that wouldn't be so difficult.

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5255 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 262 of 431
22 August 2011 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
I have some quite sudden and unexpected (even to myself) news. My brother and his wife
have just had a baby, making me an uncle for the first time, and so I have been
planning for a while now to go and visit my new niece in December this year.

The other day I was looking at calendars and flight prices and things when it occurred
to me that I could use the opportunity to pop over to Georgia again. I thought about
it a bit more, and since I was unable to find any convincing reasons why I shouldn't, I
decided I would definitely go. So I booked the flights and hotels today, and barring
war, natural disaster, and death, I am off on my second jaunt to ol' საქართველო for
five days in December. How exciting is that?

Hopefully Tbilisi won't be too bleak and dark and grim in Winter, although I presumably
won't be sitting on benches and at outdoor cafes as much as I did in May. I think this
time I'm going to get some Georgian lessons while I'm there - maybe a few hours'
tutoring in the morning, leaving me free to shop, wander around, and drink beer and
wine in the afternoon and evening. And Medea will probably be there too so I won't be
quite as lonesome as I was last time (which was not even slightly lonesome, to tell the
truth, but anyway...)

This is also a good motivator to study a bit harder than I have recently, as it would
be horribly depressing if I found I was no better, or even worse, than when I was there
last time!

E}{pugnator wrote:
TixhiiDon, maybe you could work with them on preparing an edition
in English then! I'm sure that wouldn't be so difficult.

Nice idea in theory, but I have a feeling a Japanese Georgian textbook translated into
English would end up an incomprehensible mess, even if it was translated by someone far
more skillful than me!

EDIT: The way I wrote this it looks like the sudden and unexpected news is my brother
and his wife's baby. This is of course not sudden and unexpected, and was in fact nine
months in the making. Just to avoid any confusion...

Edited by TixhiiDon on 22 August 2011 at 10:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5255 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 263 of 431
15 September 2011 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Well, Kojima-sensei's Georgian textbook is officially published tomorrow. I already
got my copy at a 20% discount (always good to have connections!) and it's a really
great-looking book. Unfortunately it only covers the basics of Georgian grammar -
there's plenty of scope left for a volume 2 and even 3 - but it is the only one of it's
kind in Japanese and one of the very few Georgian textbooks in the world, so I am
suitably impressed. You can see a few pages on the publisher's website
here

Otherwise, I am ploughing on as usual. Frustration at my utter inability to form the
perfect and pluperfect tenses has led me back to my old nemesis, Georgian: A Reading
Grammar. There is absolutely nothing to beat it in the kartvelology canon. At the
moment I'm pushing myself to do the translation exercises at the end of the chapter
dealing with the perfect and pluperfect screeves in reverse (i.e. from English to
Georgian) with the aim of getting a good active knowledge of these difficult verb
tenses. After that I'm intending to go back over the conditionals, which never really
got fixed in my head.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 16 September 2011 at 12:33am

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5933 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 264 of 431
16 September 2011 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
I enjoyed looking at those pages, if only because it was hilarious seeing Georgian transcribed into katakana. Wait a second... Why did they use hiragana in some places instead? In the first line of that dialogue, for example, it looks like they have "ガマジョバ とっくヴェン イアポネリ はると?" (hiragana in bold).

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version