Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5253 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 17 of 431
28 January 2010 at 11:04am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the comments Clintaroo, and thanks for reading.

My class is held at the Asahi Culture Centre in Shinjuku. They offer classes in about 30 languages, and they're quite cheap, so it's a really excellent place. My Japanese is just about good enough to follow the class, and I was so surprised to find a Georgian class in Tokyo that I joined up immediately. I'm sure it will be of some use, even if it's only to keep me motivated!

There are 8 students all in all, but there's always a few absences so usually there's about 5 of us. All the others are Japanese. Most of them seem to be interested in Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union to varying degrees. A couple of them speak Russian, and one girl, who is probably the best in the class, loves ballet and her favourite ballerina is Georgian, which is as good a reason as any! There is also a lovely little old lady who went on a package tour to Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan and fell in love with the Caucasus! As I said above, the teacher is a brilliant linguist, really someone to admire. He just doesn't seem to know how to bring conversation into the lessons. He's married to a Georgian woman, and I think, although I'm not completely sure, that they teach the class for three months each alternately. I really hope I'm right about that as it will give me the chance to talk to a native speaker from March through to May, when it's her turn.

Keep reading! Hopefully one day in the near future you will see me conversing with Marich27 without making a fool of myself!!

Edited by TixhiiDon on 28 January 2010 at 11:05am

1 person has voted this message useful

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5206 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: Georgian*, EnglishC2, Dutch

Message 18 of 431
28 January 2010 at 9:16pm | IP Logged 
gaumarjos!

You have really succeeded in understanding my reply! For someone who has been studying
Georgian for just a month, this is a real progress. The sentences you translated are
all correct. I'll just add those ones that you missed.

sxva dros gicxovriat sxva qveyanaSi, samSoblodan Sors? - Did you ever live in a foreign
country far away from home before?

miTumetes saqarTveloSi sadac mecniereba iSviaTad Tu vinmes ainteresebs dResdReobiT. -
especially in Georgia where hardly anyone is interested in science nowadays.

swavlis xangrzlivoba 2 welia, magistraturaa da stipendiam (scholarship) momca saSualeba
aq meswavla.The study program lasts for 2 years. It's a Master. The scholarship gave me
the opportunity to study here.

This is all that you missed. Otherwise, you can ignore your ? marks everywhere.

dRes Cems cxovrebaze mogwer saqarTveloSi. saqarTveloSi inglisuris maswavlebeli vikavi,
albat 7 weli. Tavidan Zalian momwonda maswavlebloba, radgan bevr axal rames vigebdi da
bevr saintereso adamians vxvdebodi. bavSvebTan TiTqmis ar mimuSavia. daaxloebiT iseT
gakveTilebs vatarebdi, rogorzec exla Tqven dadixarT. saintereso iyo moswavleebTan
subari. magram sakmarisi ar iyo Cemi interesebis dasakmakofileblad da gadavwyvite
swavla holandiaSi.

That's it for today. Hope you will have fun understanding this.

Edited by marich27 on 28 January 2010 at 9:19pm

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5253 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 19 of 431
29 January 2010 at 5:45am | IP Logged 
დღის ცნობა ცოტა უფრო ადვილია. დიდი მადლობა! ჯერ გადავთარგმნი.

Today I will write about my life in Georgia. In Georgia I was an English teacher for about 7 years. At first I really liked being a teacher because I learned [?] many new things and met many interesting people.

[The next part I don't really understand]

Being a teacher was interesting, but not interesting enough to keep me in the job, and so I decided to study in Holland.

როცა საქართველოში იყავით, სად ცხოვრობდით? თბილისში? როცა სტუდენტა ვიყავი მე ვიცხოვრე ექვსი თვით რუსეთში, მაგრამ სამწუხაროდ იმ დროს საქართველოში სამოქალაქო ომი იყო ამიტომ ვერ წავედი.

დღეს საღამოს ვნახავ ქართულ ფილმსიყო შაშვლი მგალობელი. იცით ეს ფილმი?

Once again, thanks for reading!

Edited by TixhiiDon on 29 January 2010 at 10:44am

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5206 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes

Message 20 of 431
29 January 2010 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
I am bit confused a bout the sentence: დღის ცნობა ცოტა უფრო ადვილია. Do you mean:
today's part is easier to understand?

The part you missed bavSvebTan TiTqmis ar mimuSavia. daaxloebiT iseT gakveTilebs
vatarebdi, rogorzec exla Tqven dadixarT. - I have almost never worked with children. I
used to give classes just like the ones you are attending now. The rest is correct!

saqarTveloSi vcxovrobdi Tbilisis axlos, patara qalaq rusTavSi, magram vmuSaobdi
TbilisSi. იყო შაშვლი მგალობელი ar minaxavs radgan dzveli filmebis kureba ar mikvars :)
cudi xarisxia da Tan tempic Zalian neliaxolme da male mbezrdeba. SeiZleba araswori
midgomaa (maybe this is not a right way to think). kargi iqneba Tu momwer
STabeWdilebebs (your impressions). am werilSi SenobiTze gadavedi, Senc SegiZlia ase
moiqce.

droebiT

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5253 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 21 of 431
30 January 2010 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
Just got back from my Georgian class, and I have to eat some humble pie for my dinner tonight as today's lesson involved lots of conversation. Obviously I was too quick to judge. Or maybe the teacher has been reading my log... Just in case, sorry Kojima-sensei! And thanks for a great lesson.

To my other teacher, Marich27, thanks again for taking the time to write. Yes, I wanted to say "Today's message is a little bit easier to understand."

Let me check your newest message.

I lived close to Tbilisi in a small town called Rustavi, but I worked in Tbilisi. I haven't seen იყო შაშვლი მგალობელი because I don't like watching old films. They are poor quality and they are very slow so I soon become bored [?] Maybe this is not the right way to think. It would be nice if you could tell me your impressions.

And the last sentence I don't really understand.

ჩემთვის იყო შაშვლი მგალობელი ძალიან საინტერესო იყო,იმიტომ რომ ჩვეულებრივი ქართული ხალხის ცხოვრებაზე ცოტა ვისწავლე. [I learned a little about how ordinary Georgian people live]. უფრო ახალი ქართული ფილმი რა არის?

Hmm, it's getting more and more difficult as we talk about more difficult subjects. I hope you can at least understand!

Edited by TixhiiDon on 30 January 2010 at 9:45am

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5206 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes

Message 22 of 431
30 January 2010 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Nice that you enjoyed the class.

Well, the last sentence means that I used 2nd person sg. to address you (which is an
informal way) and you can do the same if you wish.

marTali xar. qarTuli filmebis yureba dagexmareba qarTveli xalxis (not ქართული ხალხის,
you can use ქართული with any nouns but ხალხი) gacnobaSi da enis seswavlaSi. ufro axali
qarTuli filma axla ar maxsendeba araferi, magram vecdebi rame movifiqro. Cemi erT-erTi
ssayvareli qarTuli filmia "natvris xe", cota sevdiani filmia, magram saintereso.

momavali erTi an ori dRe ver mogwer, radgan maltaze mivdivar Cem ZmasTan 2 kviriT da
mzadevaSi viqnebi (just in case, this means that I won't be able to reply for a day or
two since I am leaving for Malta tomorrow to visit my brother for two weeks).

will be back with more Georgian next time!

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5253 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 23 of 431
30 January 2010 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
გამარჯობა marich! I think I understand almost all of your message today, ამიტომ ძალიან ბედნიერი ვარ.

Let me translate:

You are right. By watching Georgian films you can learn about Georgian people and study the language. No new Georgian films are being made now, but [?]. My very favorite Georgian film is "natvris xe". It's a little sad, but interesting.

ახლა მალტას ამინდი ჰოლანდიას ამინდზე უკეთესია. I hope you enjoy your winter holiday. Don't worry if you don't have time to reply. Any time is OK.

კარგად იყავი!

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5206 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes

Message 24 of 431
31 January 2010 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
ufro axali qarTuli filma axla ar maxsendeba araferi, magram vecdebi rame movifiqro. - I
can't remember a new film right now but I'll try to remember one.

maltis amindi marTlac ukeTesi iqneba. SekiTxva maqvs senTan. ruseTSi ratom gadawyvite
swavla da ras swavlobdi? mxolod rusul enas Tu rame sxva sagansac?

No it's your turn to produce sentences in Georgian. BTW here is a link for you of
Georgian and not only literature www.lib.ge I believe it is a bit hard for you at this
stage but anyway you might find it interesting.

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version