Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese, German, Russian
Studies: Georgian

Message 9 of 431
25 January 2010 at 7:01am | IP Logged 
დღესაც კარგი ამინდია. ზამთარში ტოკიოში ყოველდღის მზიანია. საინთერესო ამინდი არ არის. დღეს ქარტულ ენას არ ვსწავლობდი იმიტომ, რომ დაკავებული ვიყავი. მომავალ თვის ახალ ბინაში გადმოვალ, როტომ დრო არა გვაქვს.

Hmm, I have a suspicious feeling the above just might be incomprehensible nonsense. However, I haven't studied any Georgian today so I thought I'd better do something. Oh, for a Georgian speaker to come along and correct my mistakes...

I have excuses by the barrel-load though. I have caught cold, I have not one but two translation jobs to complete by the end of today, and I went to look at an apartment that I might be moving to.

Yesterday, through the fug of my cold, I did Lesson 6 and 7 of Kiziria as promised. The book is getting easier and easier as I progress, which I think is probably a sign of a well-written book. It won't take me very far, but it seems to cover the basics very thoroughly, and that's good enough for the time being.

Edited by TixhiiDon on 25 January 2010 at 7:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5177 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: Georgian*, EnglishC2, Dutch

Message 10 of 431
25 January 2010 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon wrote:
Caught up on Byki today. As I expected, around 50,000* stale words
to review, but most of them seem to be fixed in my brain, which is good news.

I've been trying to talk to myself in Georgian throughout the day, coming up with
profundities such as "Very good" and "It's cloudy today". Possibly my greatest
Georgian thought of the day was "Today I went to the park." Kant and Heidegger are
rolling in their graves as I type...

I wanted to add "with my dog" to the park sentence, but I'm not sure how to say "with".
If any Georgian speakers happen to read this, is this OK?

დღეს ჩენს ძაღლთან პარკში წავედი

Or even better, how do I say "I took my dog for a walk to the park" in nice, natural
Georgian?

*80 really, but a little exaggeration never hurt anyone.

dRes Cems ZaRlTan erTad parkSi wavedi.

This is a better version of your sentence. If you don't add "erTad" to the sentence it
sounds as if your dog lives in the park and you went to visit/see it. Native Georgian
translation of the sentence you requested is:

Cemi ZaRli waviyvane parkSi saseirnod. or parkSi waviyvane Cemi ZaRli saseirnod. or
saseirnod waviyvane Cemi ZaRli parkSi., etc.

The main point is to study agreement markers and you can relax about the word order.
(such a shame I was not able to make Georgian fonts work on the site)

Good luck with your studies!
or

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 11 of 431
26 January 2010 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Marich27, thanks very much for your reply! I'm really grateful for your help. I have already learned "erTad" but I forgot to use it in my sentence (honest!). As for your native natural Georgian sentences, I kind of understand, but to be honest they are way beyond my level. As you can see, I am a complete beginner, but I'm really enjoying learning.

Got up early this morning and finally finished mammoth Lesson 2 of the Reading Grammar. Then listened to the dialogues of Lessons 4 to 6 in Kiziria for review. A good 2 hours before I even started work, and my cold hasn't completely gone away, so I'm feeling quite smug.

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5177 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes

Message 12 of 431
26 January 2010 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
You are welcome IixhiiDon. If you have questions to discuss with a native speaker, you
can ask me. Will be pleased to help. We can have conversations in Georgian here, if you
wish so.

By the way, I think you are progressing really fast. Most people lose motivation of
studying Georgian very soon. I have to shamefully admit that I have been living in the
Netherlands since August and have not got down to studying Dutch yet.

gamojanmrTelebas gisurveb!

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 13 of 431
27 January 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
გამარჯობათ marich! ძალიან სასიამოვნოა თქვენი გაცნობა. როგორა ხართ?

ნიდერლანდში რას აკეთებთ? სტუდენტი ხართ თუ მუშაობთ?
მე ინგლისელი ვარ, მაგრამ თოთხმეთი წლის წინ ჩამოვედი იაპონონიაში. ახლა ვცხოვრობ ტოკიოში და ვმუშაობ მთარგმნელად.

ვსწავლობ ქართულ ენას იმიტომ რომ უნივერსიტეტში ვსწავლობდი რუსულ ენას და ჩემთვის საბჭოთა კავშირის ისტორია და ლიტერატურა ძალიან საინტერესოა.

Wow, it took me about 20 minutes to write those few short sentences. That is definitely all the Georgian practice I need today. Really look forward to conversing with you whenever you have the time, Marich. Although it may be quite a while before I'm actually able to say anything interesting....

marich27
Triglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 5177 days ago

41 posts - 42 votes

Message 14 of 431
27 January 2010 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Hi there! how great! Not a single mistake (as far as I know anyway). Maybe just a
little comment about გამარჯობათ. Some grammarians say that გამარჯობა is a correct form
only but many people still use it in polite speech, so I am not really sure.

madloba rom Tqvens Sesaxeb momwereT. Tavidanve Zalian sainteresod momeCvena Tqveni
ambavi. ingliseli iaponiaSi romelic swavlobs qarTuls! moulodneli iyo! 14 weli didi
droa. sxva dros gicxovriat sxva qveyanaSi, samSoblodan Sors?

me aq saswavlevlad Camovedi. lingvistikas vswavlob. Cemi azriT sainteresoa, tumca
praktikuli TvalsazrisiT arc ise gamosadegi, miTumetes saqarTveloSi sadac mecniereba
iSviaTad Tu vinmes ainteresebs dResdReobiT. swavlis xangrzlivoba 2 welia, magistraturaa
da stipendiam (scholarship) momca saSualeba aq meswavla. Zalian momwons holandia,
magram saqarTvelo menatrebaxolme. gansakuTrebiT dasawyisSi miWirda. ianvarSi viyavi
saxlSi. vfiqrob, zafxulSi isev Caval.

Is this too hard? I wrote it as if I were writing to a native speaker. So, if
there is something you find hard to understand, tell me so and I can translate it.

droebiT

Edited by marich27 on 27 January 2010 at 4:33pm

TixhiiDon
Tetraglot
Japan
Joined 5224 days ago

772 posts - 1474 votes 

Message 15 of 431
28 January 2010 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
Wow, your reply is really hard for me to understand!! I'm going to try to translate the parts I think I understand into English, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I must admit that some of it is just an educated guess.

"Thank you for your reply. It was very interesting to hear about your situation. An Englishman living in Japan who also studies Georgian! That's rare! 14 years is a long time. ?? [something about being far away from home]

I came here to study. I study linguistics. In my opinion it is interesting, although from a practical point of view it's not so good. ?????

I like [?] Holland very much, but I miss [?] Georgia. It was especially hard at the beginning [?] I was at home in January, and I think I'll go again in summer."

There are some other words I can understand, but that's all. I've just realized how difficult it is to look up Georgian words in a dictionary since their forms change so much according to tense, person, and so on.

OK, now I have another incentive to keep studying. My new goal is to understand what you wrote to me within 6 months....

Clintaroo
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6631 days ago

189 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Tagalog, Indonesian

Message 16 of 431
28 January 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
TixhiiDon,

Interesting thread. I find it fascinating to read blogs of those who learn languages not widely studied such as Georgian, Mongolian, Armenian and so on.

It's good that you could at least find some Georgian classes in Japan, even if the classes are not so great themselves. I tend to agree that unfortunately that's how most Japanese learn languages, and then they wonder why they can hardly construct a sentence after two years.

May I ask the makeup of the class? Are all students Japanese except yourself? How many people are taking the class? I'm also fascinated to know the reasons behind a Japanese learning Georgian.

Anyhow, I've got no knowledge of Georgian whatsoever, but 頑張って and I look forward to checking your progress!

This discussion contains 431 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version