Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 81 of 134
11 March 2015 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
March Challenge

I'm still accepting contributions to the February Challenge until March 15, that is Sunday.

However, I'd like to give you the March Challenge, as March is almost halfway through.

Please find a Russian song you like and learn its lyrics by heart! As soon as you know them, post them in this thread with a translation.

Members of last year's Russian team will already know this challenge, but I think it's a nice diversion from writing.

Have fun!
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 82 of 134
15 March 2015 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
Here is my February contribution :

Мой любимый город.

Мой любимый город - это Москва, столица России. В Москве проживает двенадцать миллионов
человек. Это значит, что это очень большой город. Москва тоже очень красивый город. Там есть
церкви, музеи, фонтаны, парки и магазины которые всегда открыти.

Мне очень нравится Красная площадь, Кремль, Парк Горького и Коломенское. мне тоже нравится,
что люди всегда хотят тебе помогать.     

Когда я бываю в Москве, я живу рядом с Большим Театром. Это очень практично, потому что я
могу ходить пешком во многие места. Ещё мне нравится московское метро. Оно быстрое,
недорогое и очень красивое. Много станций почти как дворцы.

Но мое любимое место в Москве - это Третьяковская Галлерея. Я почти хотела бы там жить, чтобы я
могла каждый день видеть все эти красивые картины.

Каждый раз, когда я в Москве, я хожу в ГУМ. Это огромный магазин и такой, красивый, что похож
на дворец. Там есть все.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 83 of 134
15 March 2015 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
Are you still saying you're not at an intermediate level?
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 84 of 134
17 March 2015 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Here is my February contribution :

Мой любимый город.

Мой любимый город - это Москва, столица России. В Москве проживает двенадцать миллионов
человек. Это значит, что это очень большой город. Москва тоже очень красивый город. Там есть
церкви, музеи, фонтаны, парки и магазины которые всегда открыти.

Мне очень нравится Красная площадь, Кремль, Парк Горького и Коломенское. мне тоже нравится,
что люди всегда хотят тебе помогать.     

Когда я бываю в Москве, я живу рядом с Большим Театром. Это очень практично, потому что я
могу ходить пешком во многие места. Ещё мне нравится московское метро. Оно быстрое,
недорогое и очень красивое. Много станций почти как дворцы.

Но мое любимое место в Москве - это Третьяковская Галлерея. Я почти хотела бы там жить, чтобы я
могла каждый день видеть все эти красивые картины.

Каждый раз, когда я в Москве, я хожу в ГУМ. Это огромный магазин и такой, красивый, что похож
на дворец. Там есть все.

This is extremely impressive, as I said. Definitely B1+. Would be B2 if it didn't require more fancy vocab/wording. Based on this specific piece I would say you're at basic fluency, and my impression is that it's mostly comprehension that hinders that. And maybe speaking accuracy, although with things like hard/soft consonants or и/ы (открыты btw) it can be hard to tell if it's a matter of pronunciation, grammar or both.

Some minor points... like really minor. In both cases you need также instead of тоже, since the latter is mostly used when replying ("me too!"), rather than adding more details ("I like this, and that as well").

Also, this is even more subtle and something that native speakers could well say like that, especially colloquially. The difference between много and многие is kinda comparable to the muy/mucho/muchos stuff in Spanish. It doesn't quite work the same way but basically it has to be Многие станции. Kinda like "numerous stations" too, but more neutral stylistically.

Finally the aspect. помогать generally implies long-term help, kinda like with me or espejismo etc. Since it's about different people and different small acts of help, the best would be to use the perfective, and I may be going into personal preferences but to me there's a contradiction between liking this and saying *they want* to help (as if you don't want them to offer it). So IMO something like всегда готовы/рады/стараются помочь is much better, but really only the verb is a big deal. Also, стараются might actually be the best if you want to praise the effort and acknowledge that they offer it themselves (but sometimes you accept because you don't want to upset them).
"хожу в ГУМ" sounds a tiiiiny bit strange. иду в ГУМ/бываю в ГУМе are better for conveying that it's on your must-visit places list, especially if you don't mean you visit it multiple times during each of your trips. Especially in the present, ходить is generally used for the (kinds of) places you REALLY visit repeatedly, like school, work, cinema or toilet :D Similarly, могу ходить really has a western European feel to me. We generally only use this about physically being able to go somewhere, and in general we use мочь about theoretical possibilities, not about something we've actually done. The common verbs have so many distinctions that sometimes it's just easier to learn a more advanced word/expression. For example, у меня есть возможность (i have an opportunity) instead of могу, or you can say that the places are в пешей доступности (within a walking distance). Or you can also use дойти до ie to reach.

So great to be explaining such fine points of the usage to you! ♥

Edited by Serpent on 17 March 2015 at 8:00am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 85 of 134
17 March 2015 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
That just leads me to ask a different question entirely: what's the difference between
стараться/пытаться? I know they both mean to try or to attempt, but I have the feeling
the second is often a slightly higher register word. There's also (по)пробовать but
that's used in slightly different contexts, as in "try this piece of food, try eating
this, try going over there). Not in the "trying hard to accomplish something" sense.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 86 of 134
17 March 2015 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
As for my late Russian contribution (stupid grammar mistakes included for your
entertainment)

Мое нынешнее место жительства - Чэндэ

Я уже живу где-то 10 дней в Чэндэ, маленький город в провинции Хэбеи, километров
двести от Пекина. Город находится в горах, и следовательно, загрязнение воздуха тут не
так вредно, как в Пекине - обычно люди смотрят на мобильные предложеные, чтобы
проверить число загрязнения воздуха в своем районе. До тех пор, как я переехал сюда, я
жил в Пекине, и там огромное местное население меня постоянно удивлялось - теперь мне
уже легче справиться с толпами.

Даже в Чэнде, где живут около 400,000 китайцев (тут почти нет приезжих - только
китайцы видны на улице), толпы - образ жизни. В Китае огромное повышение населения
стало заметным везде, и куда только не попадаешься, даже в небольших городах, люди
оживленно и шумно бегают по делам. Мне, как тихий нидерландец, конечно тяжело
привыкнут к шуму - но что поделаешь? Ничего особенного.

Чэндэ не имеет очень высокую иностранную туристическую репутацию, зато в Китае он
довольно известен. Здесь находится старый летний дворец китайского императора, и
каждый год туда собираются туристы и посетители из разных провинций Китая. Также есть
возможности кататься на лыжках - рядом зимние курорты, которые вам предлагают отдых и
экскурсии в горах. Великая Китайская стена также находится рядом - только надо 70
километров ехать от самого центра, если соблюдаешь указатели, обязательно ее найдите.

Я сам живу в семье - я буквально в гостях. Это значит, что я участвую в личную жизнь.
Дома по-китайски говорят - но со сыном надо еще по-английски поговорить, чтобы он его
выучил - он собирается учиться в Новой Зеландии осенью. Бегло по-китайски говорить до
сих пор у меня не получилось, но главный смысл уже умею выразить достаточно легко. Со
стариками общаться представляет более трудные задачи - часто диалекты или местные
акценты сильные, и это заметно мешает взаимное понимание.

В конце концов, Чэндэ не очень зеленый город - зимой здесь холодно, и растения и
деревья пока не расли. Надеюсь, что в следующие месяцы, город себе представит
прекрасным и зеленым, как скрытый бриллиант среди китайских горов. Надеемся.

Edited by tarvos on 17 March 2015 at 8:49am

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3637 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English

Message 87 of 134
17 March 2015 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

"хожу в ГУМ" sounds a tiiiiny bit strange. иду в ГУМ/бываю в ГУМе are better for conveying that it's on your must-visit places list, especially if you don't mean you visit it multiple times during each of your trips.

Когда я читал эту фразу, я подумал что она имела в ввиду что она гуляет в ГУМe чтобы посмотреть витрины и "делать шоппинг".

Edited by Arnaud25 on 17 March 2015 at 1:05pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 88 of 134
17 March 2015 at 2:20pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Are you still saying you're not at an intermediate level?

Yep. And that I have had a native Russian speaker to remove most of my mistakes :-)

If you had seen my original text you would probably have put me at A1. I absolutely cannot write in Russian,
which is why it took me forever to write the text and have it corrected.

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version