Joined 4998 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 265 of 331
08 June 2014 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

The podcasts on France Culture are amazing. My comprehension isn't great, and it seems
to vary wildly from day to day. I can usually follow enough to get the general thesis
or plot. I've found I do a lot better when I read a plot synopsis beforehand.....

Right now I listen to 30 minutes of French while at the gym, and then switch to music
for the rest of my workout. I'm hoping that massive amounts of exposure will help my
comprehension. I'm going to claim victory when I can actually understand all of what
Franck Ferrand, the narrator of Au coeur de l'histoire, says. I like his voice,
but he doesn't pause much between sentences and I get really, really lost trying to
follow him.

I too have been listening to "Au coeur de l'histoire"; it's good, isn't it? - Though it does get tricky to
follow when Ferrand gets excited about his topic, and his voice starts rising in pitch and then speeding up
(and speeding up and speeding up).

But one of the things I like best about it are the glimpses it gives into culture and history of France, and the
diversity of its topics. One expects pieces on French royalty, and notable events in French history, of course,
but I also really enjoyed programmes like the ones on "les grandes horizontales" (I thought of you,
Kanewai, in regard to your reading of Proust and Zola); French aviation; the Marquis Vauban
Wikipedia Fr the engineer who was
responsible for building/ improving many of the military forts / fortified cities in 17th C France; the slave trade;
the history of tea, etc.

As an aside, if you have time when next in Paris, the Musée des Plans-Reliefs, which has three-dimensional
models of the fortified cities of France from that period on, is well worth visiting. (Low-key, but fascinating.)

And sometimes "Au coeur.." just goes completely over my head. One of the programmes was about a Swiss
(or French-Swiss?) ski champion who was seen as the father of the sport of alpine skiing. I could never quite
catch his name, despite it having been repeated numerous times (and still don't know it), so listened to the full
broadcast in blissful ignorance of the actual identity of the subject of the programme. (If you remember this
one, please let me know..!)

Updated to add:
Musée des plans-reliefs

Edited by songlines on 08 June 2014 at 6:56pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4998 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 266 of 331
08 June 2014 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I did learn a cool new phrase: On mange bien en France.

One woman I stayed with gave me a cookbook on traditional Provençal cooking, and I
don't recognize a lot of the terms in it. I'll need to go through with my dictionary...

Crema di funghi (Florence) - a porcini mushroom spread for sandwiches. This should be
the next pesto; Italian bread + pork + crema di funghi is a divine combination.

Quenelles - A Lyon specialty, fishcakes made with pike and served in a crawfish-based
sauce Nantua. It's like peasant food raised to the level of high cuisine. I tried
making them at home, and it wasn't too hard - you need to make a choux pastry the day ....

Meanwhile ... did you catch the Anthony Bourdain show set in Lyon? This article has a
clip on school lunches that will make your mouth water:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/shows/anthony-bourdain-parts-un known/season-
3/lyon/index.html

Many thanks for the extensive reply. I started a post earlier (complete with links to quenelle history
"authentic" quenelles, etc.), but it got lost. The crema di funghi sounds absolutely yummy too. I must say,
food is a great motivator for language learning. Et oui, "on mange bien en France"!

Hadn't seen the Bourdain clip before - thanks too for that - some of the info. was also in a piece from Radio-
Canada (I think) ici a year or so ago about school lunches in Italy,
France, Quebec, and North America, as I recall. I don't think there's a link to the actual broadcast - I watched
it on TV, but will check.

Does Nicolas Philibert's documentary
Etre et avoir on a one-room school in the Auvergne have
footage of their lunch as well? I seem to remember their little stove. - Have you seen the film? It's an
interesting complement to Entre les murs. Not a great deal
of dialogue in "Etre et avoir", but the differences in teaching, social, and cultural styles from North American
ones is remarkable. Part of that may be due to the fact that that it's set in a one-room school in rural France
(rather than say, in a highly multicultural environment in a French metropolis), but still...

(After reading Goscinny's stories, whenever I see the name "Nicolas" - as in the director's above -   I tend to
add automatically add "le petit..." before it...!) <smile>
1 person has voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5180 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 267 of 331
08 June 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:

As an aside, if you have time when next in Paris, the Musée des Plans-Reliefs, which has three-dimensional
models of the fortified cities of France from that period on, is well worth visiting. (Low-key, but fascinating.)

Updated to add:
Musée des plans-reliefs

The Musée des Plans Reliefs is awesome! And it's in the Invalides complex so you also get to see all the
knights armor and Napoleon's tomb on the same trip. I went on a night where it was free and they had some
kind of show out front (though don't remember which day it was).

Other great stops for French history (among many): Musée du Moyen Age and the Basilique de Saint Denis
where most of the monarchs and many nobles are entombed.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 268 of 331
19 June 2014 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
Summertime Madness

I am going to try and enter true polyglot territory this summer, and balance five
languages.   It might work. Or I might decide that it's an insane idea and drop it
after a month. The basic plan for now is:

french: reading, tv, and podcasts
italian: reading, tv, and assimil
turkish: one hour on the weekend with FSI
ancient greek: one hour on the weekend with the Iliad + supporting texts
arabic: michel thomas and pimsleur while biking to work

I dob't know if one hour on the weekend is going to be enough to keep my turkish and
greek from fading, but I figure it's worth a try - because they absolutely will fade if
I do nothing.

Français

The stranded astronauts spent a lot more time sitting around naked in a cage in Pierre
Boulle's La planète des singes than they ever did in the movie. It's good,
classic sci-fi.

In podcast land, I still have wild swings in my level of comprehension. Sometimes I
understand so little that I think I'm wasting my time, other times I follow most of the
plot and actually enjoy the story. I seem to do better with stories in translation.

In Le tour d'écrou de Henry James a young governess has to protect her charges from some vengeful ghosts;

in Dix doigts dans l'engrenage de Christian Roux there was a piano player, some
nazis, I think, a rich woman, jazz-fueled orgies?, and maybe a murder? (I really had no
idea what was going on);

in Le Fantôme de Canterville de Oscar Wilde a 300-year old ghost gets no respect
from the American family that moves into his mansion (the father offers to oil his
chains so they don't creak so much);

in Voiles de mort de Didier Daeincks a sailor is slipped LSD at a bar in the
south Pacific (I think) and signs up on a tour to look for a million-dollar treasure
with a woman who shouldn't have been trusted;

and in in tales for Jeunesse I learned that Peter Pan, ou le garçon qui
ne voulait pas grandir
was really kind of twisted, and that Tinkerbell had a crush
on him and tried to kill Wendy. Seriously. That was so not in the Disney movie.

Meanwhile, in tv land, I watched two episodes of Un village français, and I'm
completely riveted; the show is as good as I had heard it was. The links were posted in
the main Super Challenge thread. Follow them!   

Italiano   

Harry Potter has finally formed his secret army. In the South Pacific,Corto
Maltese
has taken charge of two orphans while the head pirate and main baddie
arranges to sell stolen coal to the German army.

And then there's Dante. I wanted to read him one day, and I took a peek to see how hard
Inferno would be ... and I got sucked in.

"Per me si va ne la città dolente,      
per me si va ne l'etterno dolore,      
per me si va tra la perduta gente.      
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore;      
fecemi la divina podestate,      
la somma sapïenza e 'l primo amore.      
Dinanzi a me non fuor cose create      
se non etterne, e io etterno duro.      
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate."

Queste parole di colore oscuro
vid' ïo scritte al sommo d'una porta

"Through me the way to the city of woe
Through me the way to everlasting pain,
Through me the way among the lost men.
Justice moved my maker on high.
He made me, the divine power,
the wisdom supreme, and the primal love.
Before me nothing was created
that was not eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

These words, dark in hue,
I saw inscribed over the arch of a door.

I love this stuff. It'a much more accessible than I thought it would be. It's
available online with English side by side translations at the
Princeton Dante Project

The same website discussed in the SC page has a link to Il commissario
Montalbano
with English subtitles, so that will keep me busy for awhile.

Though it seems that every Italian tv show or movie I see is Il commissario This
or La Mafia that. It can't be all cops and robbers over there, can it?

Türkçe   

I hated the thought of forgetting all my Turkish, and having to start over again down
the road. Yet I don't have time to really commit to it, so I'm going to try an
experiment, and just work passively through FSI for an hour each week. I
started last weekend, and it went well. I certainly couldn't produce the answers to
the drills, but I could follow along, understand them, and reproduce them. It's good
enough for now.

ελληνικά      

Same plan for Greek; an hour Saturday morning. I'm just reviewing what I've read, and
it takes me close to an hour to read 50 lines of the Iliad. But these are great lines,
so I'm ok with reading and re-reading them. In this short stretch Agamemnon has told
the priest Chryses just what he intends to do with his kidnapped daughter. The old
priest wanders off alone to a distant shore, and prays to Apollo:

τίσειαν Δαναοὶ ἐμὰ δάκρυα σοῖσι βέλεσσιν.
Let the Greeks pay for my tears with your arrows

Next up (I've read ahead): plagues, death, and one pissed-off Achilles.

Greek and Roman materials are available at the
Perseus Digital Library

العربية

This is the first time I've touched Arabic in two years, and I'm happy with how much is
coming back to me. So far I've been using the Michel Thomas Egyptian course on my
commute. It's a solid course, and a pleasant reintroduction to the language. I don't
have any clear goals yet; I'll keep doing audio for the summer (since it's what I have)
and then evaluate my next steps.

Edited by kanewai on 19 June 2014 at 2:35am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 269 of 331
19 June 2014 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

and in in tales for Jeunesse I learned that Peter Pan, ou le garçon qui
ne voulait pas grandir
was really kind of twisted, and that Tinkerbell had a crush
on him and tried to kill Wendy. Seriously. That was so not in the Disney movie.

Actually, this was in the Disney movie, but possibly more subtly than in the book (I've
only seen the film). I guess you saw it when you were young and didn't pick up on it?

How would you rate La planète des singes, in terms of readability, vocabulary, etc?
I've read it in English and quite enjoyed it. It is available on Kindle here in the
UK, but it's a bit expensive.

Edited by Jeffers on 19 June 2014 at 4:13pm

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5025 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 270 of 331
19 June 2014 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

Though it seems that every Italian tv show or movie I see is Il commissario This
or La Mafia that. It can't be all cops and robbers over there, can it?

You can try:

Il Tredicesimo Apostolo - Which is about a priest.
Tutti pazzi per amore - Sitcom
Casa Vianello - Sitcom
I Cesaroni - Sitcom
Il peccato e la vergogna - Drama about people in pre-WWII Italy.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 271 of 331
20 June 2014 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
Perseus is the most extensive source of Greek texts online, and the textual aids are great. However, I recently rediscovered another excellent source. Check out http://geoffreysteadman.com/. Geoffrey Steadman has published a series of Greek and Latin texts with vocabulary and commentary. You could buy the books from Amazon, but he also offers them in pdf form for free on his website. Each text begins with a set of core vocabulary which wont be given in the notes. On the pdf's the text takes up the top third of the page, below which is vocabulary for the page, and below that are notes on the text. I think in the published form these are on a page facing the text.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 272 of 331
21 June 2014 at 7:38am | IP Logged 
Awesome find! I already have one of Steadman's books, on the Odyssey. I'm looking
forward to starting it once I finish Book 1 of the Iliad. I have Pamela Draper's
commentary on that text; she was the 'original' but I've read that Steadman took her
approach and improved upon it.

And I really enjoyed La planète des singes. I think I used the dictionary two or three
times over the course of the whole novel (as opposed to once or twice per page for the
classics). But it was a fast read. It took me about ten days, I think, and that was on
top of doing everything else. I'd balance that out against the cost.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 331 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version