Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 225 of 331
17 January 2014 at 7:46am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Third Set

This Sunday I rotate again. I'll start Pimsleur IV for French (should be easy), FSI
FAST for Italian (should be easy), and continue with Assimil for Turkish.   This won't
be a particularly challenging set.

Dear Kanewai,

Shut up.

Whenever you write "this should be easy" you have been wrong. You have zero percent
accuracy. So stop it.

Love,
Kanewai

Seriously, there is no easy way for me to balance three languages. I'll have a couple
weeks where I'm on it, and I start to project into the future based upon my best weeks,
rather than my average weeks.

I know I could do three languages, and work, and go to the gym, and have a
partial social life, and still sleep eight hours a night. I even did the math to prove
it.

The problem is, I didn't leave much room for random events. Like having to work
weekends, or having a two-day mental deficit from a long night with friends and a
bottle of whisky, or Schoenhof's taking forever to ship Assimil Italian (even
though Kerrie warned me), or Assimil Le Turc suddenly getting a lot harder (like it
always does), or drinking too much coffee and staying up half the night playing Angry
Birds, or having to do laundry.

I guess I could have predicted the last one.

So I'm scaling back my ambition a bit. Not a lot: I'll work the same courses & same
languages, just at a more tenable pace.    

3 persons have voted this message useful

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4411 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 226 of 331
17 January 2014 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
I'm struggling with the same issues you describe, but I'm not as well organized as you are. As a beginner, it's essential to do something in the language every day, but maybe not for intermediate, maybe a longer session every other day would be enough? I don't know...it takes a certain time to warm up and shift gears (at least for me it does). I'm still trying to figure it out. Last year I maintained one language and actively studied one. That was no problem. This year, I'm trying to actively study three languages...seemed like such a good idea at the time when I was off work during the holidays. ;)

Oh yes, I can also relate to the swings between overconfidence ("this should be easy") and the despair of perfectionism ("this is impossible"). And it's hard to evaluate the usefulness of certain activities that may not have an immediate payoff. I really admire your dedication and enjoy reading your log.
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 227 of 331
17 January 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

Seriously, there is no easy way for me to balance three languages. I'll have a couple
weeks where I'm on it, and I start to project into the future based upon my best weeks,
rather than my average weeks.

I know I could do three languages, and work, and go to the gym, and have a
partial social life, and still sleep eight hours a night. I even did the math to prove
it.

I know exactly how you feel: I'm trying to balance three languages, work, gym, social life, music, and of course sleep. I agree that it's theoretically possible, and in a good week (not too busy, not many unforeseen events, adequate sleep) I actually manage pretty well, but unfortunately like you say it doesn't always work out that way and things come up! I think the best thing to do is just try to relax and not worry about it too much, otherwise you stress out and that makes the whole thing worse or you try to over-compensate and get burnt out.

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5180 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 228 of 331
17 January 2014 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
I hate the balancing act too. I've been sort of focusing on one while "maintaining" the
others but "maintaining" often turns into not doing much at all. Which is fine for French
since it's pretty burned into my brain, but it pretty much wipes out all my gains in
Spanish and especially Irish since I'm still in the early stages of learning them. So
it's necessary to find some time to devote to them.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6945 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 229 of 331
17 January 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
I feel much the same way, only I've had to deal with up to 7 languages. Some days I'm just too worn out from the rest of the day to study a foreign language.

It does help me mentally that I restrict myself to doing small sections in each of my languages (e.g. 3 pages of exercises from "Modern Ukrainian", 1 chapter from Turkish Self-Study Course) every week or two. I'd go nuts if I set anything ambitious, but I still feel a certain sense of accomplishment of sticking to these modest goals even if my progress is at a glacial pace.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 230 of 331
18 January 2014 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Seriously, there is no easy way for me to balance three languages.   

I figured that out, too. Ask Serpent, she is an expert at balancing languages. :)

kanewai wrote:
or having to do laundry

Yea, you should have seen that one coming. Unless you are like my kids, and just throw it all in a basket and pick your clean clothes out as you need them. :D

Still, it is amazing how much you manage to accomplish. I like your rotation plan. I think I might try it if my life ever settles down. LOL

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 231 of 331
27 January 2014 at 6:42am | IP Logged 
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one still trying to figure this out!

I'm also still at the stage where I need to do a little each day. The catch is, I
don't know that I'm really learning what I need from Italian FAST, and Assimil Turkish
has gotten so hard that I need to set it aside.

That hurts. I like the course, but there is so much new vocabulary and grammar in each
lesson that I spend most of the time flipping back and forth between the lesson and the
dictionary - it's not always transparent how Assimil's translation matches up with the
original text.    I don't really retain much at all this way.

I'm only on lesson 30, but it feels like Assimil is already at the A2/B1 range. It's
too soon. I hate to do this, but I need to set it aside for now.   I wish there were
more A-level material! I'd love a Michel Thomas or a Living Language Turkish course.
As it is, I'll move back to Teach Yourself, along with FSI when it feels right.

I wrote in an earlier post that I didn't understand why Turkish was lumped with the
harder languages. I understand now!

As for Italian ... I also felt like I was stalling a bit with FSI FAST. I'm past my
goals, but the emphasis is too much on room service, ironing shirts, and shining shoes.
Nothing relevant to my life! I was hoping that Assimil would arrive by now, but it
hasn't even shipped. Damn Showolehrosrhs or whatever they're called. I just ordered LL
Assimil online. It's not too expensive, and I really liked the LL Japanese course.

I also restarted Michel Thomas's Foundation Course. I thought I was beyond this basic
beginner level stuff, but it turns out I still really need it. It was almost a
pleasure making dinner while listening to the first half dozen lessons.   

I was hoping that I'd be able to push beyond what I knew before with both Italian and
Turkish. Now I'm hoping that I can at least match it! And the big question I need to
ponder is: what comes next?   Especially with Italian ... do I delay Spanish (again)
and continue on? And if I delay Spanish do I sabotage my chances of completing the
Super Challenge with Spanish? Do I try and do both, or do I set Italian aside and let
it fade ...

I don't actually have to answer any of these questions ... yet.

As for French, Pimsleur IV has been great. I wish that level V were out
already! As it is, I'm half-way through, and think that I'll save the last 15 for
closer to my trip.

I'm still struggling with Proust. I have absolutely no idea what any of the novels
after Swann's Way are about, and it's fun to go in blind. And I don't want to
give anything away, but you get a deeper perspective of many of the main characters in
the second volume. It's interesting, but here haven't been any of the amazing passages
that illuminated Swann's Way. Hopefully they'll come later - I'm only at 20%.

Although La Planète des singes just arrived in the mail ... I might take a break
from Proust and read something fun and easy this coming week.

I'm amending my strict 3-week cycle, mostly because this set hasn't been working for
me. This week will be:

Italian: Michel Thomas, some FSI
Turkish: Teach Yourself
French: Proust, and maybe some Apes,

And ... reluctantly, I do know how to balance 3 languages. It's just that it involves
more healthy living than I like. I've done it before: gym at 6 am, followed by coffee
and a language; work; bike home listening to L2 Pimsleur; at home work on L3.

It means going to bed early, cutting back on drinking, eating right (so that I have the
physical energy to work out and the mental energy to study), and all the other
associated and awful healthy living stuff. It'll be good. I want to lose some weight
before France anyway ('cause those mugs are skinny!).

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4147 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 232 of 331
27 January 2014 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
I can recommend MT Italian with all my heart. It helped me pull together and use my vocabulary, break down in my head everything I ever wanted to communicate into manageable chunks, and have real conversations with people. I mean, it works. If MT french is anything like that, it's worth it as well.

As for Turkish, here is another one who couldn't stay with TY or FSI only. You were right all along about using both. I haven't tried assimil, because I am not an assimil person. I have also wished for a MT turkish lesson (I am a fan as you have understood).

Oh, and not all French are skinny. I think it's a matter of attitute more than anything else, in terms of language as well. I don't know if you've been there before, but my advice is : show no fear! :)

This discussion contains 331 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version