Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 241 of 331
14 February 2014 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
I have used audible for Pimsleur I, before I discovered them in my local libraries. But I usually use Pimsleur in my car, and I don't have an aux jack. So I have to burn audible file to CD, but in order to prevent file sharing (I guess) the tracks are pretty random. The end of one lesson and the beginning of the next will be in the middle of a track!
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 242 of 331
25 February 2014 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Fourth Set

This has been an insanely busy period at work; I've been making steady progress, but using easier materials, and haven't had the time to pull of those long Sunday afternoons curled up with my books that I love so much.

Français - 58 days to Provence!

Half-way through Proust. No surprise, this has been slow going.

Türkçe - 21 days to Istanbul!

I reached Chapter 7 of Teach Yourself, and Lesson 18 of FSI, and hit a wall. Not a bad
one, but there has been so much new material that I need to stop, regroup, and work
more on what I've already studied. I'll be using Babbel (which I really like), and
have picked up Assimil again. Assimil is still challenging, but a little bit easier to
understand now that I've done more grammar work.   

I really hope that I can keep up with Assimil. I enjoy the course, and it's one that I
can see working on over the next four or five months.

Italiano - 52 days to Florence!

I did a lot of work on Italian this set, though I was hoping that I'd finish more! It's
such a fun language.

My focus will be on Turkish for the next couple weeks, but I'll be using Assimil and
DuoLingo each day, so I'll still be moving forward slowly.

And ... a good friend just asked if I wanted to travel to Venice and Tuscany with him
in 2015. Ma certamente! And that cements it: I'll continue on with Assimil and Living
Language after this trip, and plan on doing the Super Challenge in Italian.

ελληνικά - I want to try EMK's Dead Language Challenge,
although it will be very, very challenging to read 100 pages this summer.

Español -   poor Spanish. Sorry. Nada.

Overall this winter has been an intensive time for me with languages. As Spring comes
I'll ease up, and just continue with Assimil for Italian and, if possible, Turkish.

Edited by kanewai on 25 February 2014 at 10:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 243 of 331
25 February 2014 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
This might cheer you up:

The All-England Summarize Proust Competition

(Thanks to Monty Python, of course).
3 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4043 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 244 of 331
25 February 2014 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
I have similar struggles using Assimil for an agglutinative language, the literal translations are never literal enough, and I often have to consult the simpler sentences in the exercises just to figure out the new vocab.

Your log makes me want to incorporate more movie screenshots and color coding into my log. As well as start reading Proust and learning Ancient Greek.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 245 of 331
14 March 2014 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Love the Summarize Proust competition! I've been practicing at home for when it comes
to my town.

I also de-TAC'd my log title. I'll still follow the logs I follow, but this will be
the third year where 80% of the people who start on the teams are gone by March. At
this point TAC seems like a failed concept to me.

On to languages!

Français

65% of the way through Proust. The second volume has finally started to get exciting.
Or at least, as exciting as Proust gets. There's a great section where "society" is
dining in style in a coastal hotel, while outside the poor are observing them through
the glass in the same way that tourists watch fish in a giant aquarium.

And here's a nice quote where the narrator talks about all the rigid rules we have
regarding love and romance:

Les démarcation trop étroites que nous traçons autour de l'amour viennent seulement
de notre grande ignorance de la vie.

my take: The too rigid boundaries that we draw around "love" arise solely from our
great ignorance of life.

Türkçe - 3 days to İstanbul!

I had a week of intense work and almost no language study, but it's been all-Turkish
all the time since then. I feel somewhat confident that I'll be able to handle basic
conversations. Of course, I've been studying 90 minutes to 2 hours per day, so I'd
better have some skills.

I re-did the last part of Pimsleur I, which I was worried would be useful but
boring. Instead it turned out to be really interesting the second time around; this
time I understood the grammar that was being used, and it was nice being able to
understand how the phrases work. I've also been studying a lot with
Babbel. It's a frustrating program ... some days I wake up to find that I have
189 review cards, and it takes an hour to clear the deck. I haven't found a way to pace
it properly. Beyond that I did one more set of Assimil (chapters 28-35) two
more chapters of Teach Yourself (through chapter 9) and one more in FSI
(through chapter 19).

I forget sometimes how rewarding these intensive periods can be. I think that was the
original intent of the six-week challenges, though we've all (myself included) wandered
away from that by doing multiple languages at once.

Bouncing between texts has been incredibly useful. Teach Yourself will get hard, and
I'll do a few chapters in FSI. That will get complicated, and I'll rotate back to Teach
Yourself, and discover that the chapter that was hard is now easy. I was hoping that
Assimil would also finally click, but sadly, it didn't. I made it through one extra
week, but there is too big a disconnect between the Turkish and the idiomatic French.
I'd have to look up half the Turkish words in the dictionary to figure out how they
connected to the loose translations. It wasn't worth the time.

And that's a shame, because I won't continue Turkish at this intensity after my trip.
In theory Assimil would've been great for slow and steady studying. As it is, I've
boxed it up and put it back on the shelf.

Italiano - I haven't done much, though I'm planning on
having an Italian-intensive period in a few weeks.

2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4147 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 246 of 331
14 March 2014 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
I do hope you continue with turkish, even if it's slow and steady. Because you made quite an effort and it's a pity to lose all that.

Any impressions from Istanbul? How was it speaking with natives?

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 247 of 331
14 March 2014 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
I really like Turkish, and even more I like how it's slowly opening up to me, and how
I'm beginning to see the overall patterns in the language emerging. I'll let you know
how it goes as soon as I get back!

There's a lot of things that are stopping me from continuing on, though:

- three weeks after I get back I head to France and Italy, so I really want to shift my
focus to these languages. This trip to Istanbul is more of a spontaneous "holy @$#@ I
can't believe how cheap that ticket is we have to go!" And so five of my friends
are going. It's not even my 'real' vacation. I'll have almost a six week gap of no
Turkish (because I'll be focusing on Italian and French).

- That's the main reason I'm bummed about Assimil It is theoretically perfect for slow
and steady.

- Third, unless I find a job in Turkey there's just not enough to keep me going! Other
languages have amazing literature and cinematic traditions to help you through that
multi-year middle level.   I don't know that Turkish has that ...

... though OMG Turkish Star Wars
(Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam) is a classic ...

... so I'll have to stop somewhere.

I still might try slow and steady, though Ancient Greek tempts me more as a language
worthy of a lifetime commitment!

Edited by kanewai on 14 March 2014 at 11:46am

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4043 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 248 of 331
14 March 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
If you enjoy Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam, you should be aware that the rabit hole of low budget turkish action movies goes pretty deep. Anything directed by Çetin Inanç and starring Cüneyt Arkin is pretty much guaranteed gold. That and lots of great Turkish music are some of the main reasons I want to study Turkish one day (though I want to get to a strong intermediate in Hungarian first).

I don't know as much about Turkish literature, but my general impression is that there's lots of great Turkish media out there for consuming. I don't know if it's enough to be worth dedicating your life to, but I think it might be worth exploring more before giving up on the language.

Edited by YnEoS on 14 March 2014 at 3:00pm

This discussion contains 331 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version