Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5181 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 201 of 331
10 December 2013 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Funny reading about L'écume des jours. After I read it I told my French friend about it
and the fact that there was about to be a movie who had never read it. Later he said he
was at the movies and saw a trailer for it and he said, "On n'a rien compris."

And going back a few posts, it's kind of a shame that language courses feel the need to
teach "How are you?" right off the bat. On one hand, it is a really essential phrase to
learn. But on the other hand, it is often pretty grammatically over the learner's head
for a good long while, there are usually a ton of responses to the question but the ones
they teach you aren't necessarily used that often, and in the case of Irish it can
intimidate you from learning the language (each dialect has very different ways of asking
and it would give you the impression from the get go that the different dialects of Irish
are really different languages, which isn't the case once you delve further into it).
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 202 of 331
12 December 2013 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
And going back a few posts, it's kind of a shame that language
courses feel the need to teach "How are you?" right off the bat. On one hand, it is a
really essential phrase to learn. But on the other hand, it is often pretty
grammatically over the learner's head for a good long while, there are usually a ton of
responses to the question but the ones they teach you aren't necessarily used that
often, and in the case of Irish it can intimidate you from learning the language (each
dialect has very different ways of asking and it would give you the impression from the
get go that the different dialects of Irish are really different languages, which isn't
the case once you delve further into it).

It's ironic, yeah? Though it differs by language. Japanese was definitely like that,
and it was discouraging. But Arabic had the opposite effect: the greetings were so
poetic that it inspired me to want to learn more (the standard morning greeting and
response is: sabah al-khair / sabah al-noor ... 'morning of goodness' / 'morning of
light').

1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 203 of 331
24 December 2013 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
First Set

I just finished my first three-week set. My idea is that every three weeks I'll rotate
methods between my languages. I'm hoping this will let me move forward on multiple
fronts without triggering burn out. It should also provide a nice pattern of hard and
easy weeks.

I trained with an Olympic coach once*, and he would have us work in similar three week
cycles. There'd be an easy week, a medium week, then a hard week. Then you'd start the
cycle again, but each level would be elevated (so the 'easy' week would still be the
easiest of that set, but harder than the previous 'easy' week). It really worked. We'll
see if I can apply it to my mind.

* I was just training for a neighborhood team, not the actual games. But I did get to
see the Olympic athletes up close. Who were so pretty. So very pretty. But I digress.

Français - My main focus was on FSI Chapter XXII.
As usual, the first couple lessons were relatively easy, and then it got hard real
fast. It took me the whole three weeks to finish. A lot of FSI now is far beyond my
speaking level, but it's helping a lot with my comprehension.

I finished the Super Challenge, and then some. I watched a few more episodes of Les
Revenants
and Kaamelott, both of which are getting easier to understand.
Like others have noted, French tv is much easier to understand than French movies.

And I'm about 3/4 of the way through Voyage au but de la nuit. The main
character has evolved from being an innocent victim of evil to an actively misanthropic
doctor to the poor in Paris.

Türkçe - I finished Pimsleur I. There wasn't much
that was new for me, though I needed this course to reactivate it. I was able to do
two lessons a day, and only had to repeat two lessons towards the end. Turkish is an
enjoyable language; I'm glad to be studying it again.

Italiano - not yet

Second Set
I'll finish Voyage and Les Revenants for French, work on FSI or Teach Yourself for
Turkish, and re-start Pimsleur with Italian. I think it's too early for Italian,
honestly - I'd rather get a bit more Turkish under my belt - but I have free time
during my commute. This will be the test to see if I can balance three languages.   If
my Assimil ever arrives for Turkish I'll start that too.

Others

ελληνικά - I can actually still read most of the first
100 lines of the Iliad. I'm keeping Greek my books on the shelf, ready, just in case I
have some free moments and feel inspired.

Español - I'm watching Águila Roja when I have
the time, mostly just to keep the language alive until I can get back to it. I'll be
shadowing the TAC 14 group, though I don't want to commit just yet.

Meanwhile, it looks like most of the Romantics have moved on to TAC 14s already. I
might keep the log title the same; I kind of like it.

Edited by kanewai on 24 December 2013 at 3:19am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 204 of 331
24 December 2013 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
TAC 2014

Français Team Les amis du Capitain Tasty Onions

I'll be in France for 11 days this Spring, traveling solo. I'm hoping to use this as a
chance to bump my speaking abilities up a notch. I won't do a lot of formal study,
although I hope to finish FSI (two chapters left), and will probably do a review of
Pimsleur IV before I go.

Otherwise, my plan is to continue reading a lot, and watching French tv. I think I'm
done with French movies for awhile.   At the top of my list:

Romans
La condition humaine. André Malraux, 1933.
Vendredi ou les limbes du pacifique. Michel Tournier,1967.
Le soulier de satin, Paul Claudel. 1929.
L'oeuvre au noir, Marguerite Yourcenar 1968.
Aurélien, Louis Aragon, 1944.
A l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs, Marcel Proust, 1923.
Illusions Perdues, Balzac, 1843.

Bandes dessinées
Pinocchio. Winshluss (2008)
L'Amérique ou Le Disparu, Réal Godbout. 2013
Siegfried T3: Le crépuscule des dieux, Alex Alice. 2011

Television
Les revenants, Season 2 - One day, the dead start to return to a small mountain town,
not aware that they're dead, or that time has passed. Season 2 is supposed to start in
2014; I hope I can stream it.
Kaamelott, Season 2 - Sketch comedy set in the days Arthur, roi de Bretagne.
Un village français - I hear a lot of good things about this show.
Maison close - Life in a 19th Century Parisian brothel.

Español Team Lobos Observer

Every year I say that it's time to bump my Spanish up to B2. Will I do it this year?
Time will tell. A lot depends on whether I get motivated to continue with Italian once
I'm on a roll. I've learned to balance multiple languages, but French and Italian seem
to occupy the same mental space in my head. I seem to be able to do one or the other,
but never both at the same time.

Right now my goal is to watch a couple tv shows, at least one episode per week. Come
May I'll have to make the decision: Super Challenge in Spanish or not.

Until then, there are a lot of shows on Drama Fever that I'll follow: La fuga, Isabel
Season 2, Águila Roja, Mujeres Asesinas, Montecristo ... Drama Fever has been great for
bringing Argentine and Spanish shows to the US.

Türkçe Team Yürükler

I finished Pimsleur I already, and will spend the next couple months with Assimil,
Teach Yourself, and FSI. This is all in preparation for a trip to İstanbul in March.
After that, who knows?

I only know two ways that work for me to push past the basic A2 level. One is through
immersion. The second is through reading massive amounts of literature and graphic
novels. I'm not moving to Turkey (unless anyone out there has a good lead on jobs!),
and I'm not that familiar with Turkish literature beyond Orhan Pamuk. Maybe there's a
new world out there for me to discover.

Italiano - Team Italiano Stalker

I studied some Italian a couple years ago for a trip to Rome, and loved the rhythms of
the language. I have another trip to Florence for a week this Spring, so I'll be trying
to refresh the language & hopefully progress a bit further in it.

My initial resources will be FSI FAST and Pimsleur. Sometime in January I'll have to
make the choice about how to proceed. Option 1, I'll go with a vocabulary-heavy course
like Living Language (I loved their new Japanese course), and just focus on being a
good tourist. Option 2, I'll go with Assimil and aim for a deeper understanding of the
language, with the intent of continuing on past my travels.

ελληνικά - No TAC.

I'll work in Ancient Greek when I can. I put so much work into it, but still have so
far to go. So very far.

Edited by kanewai on 24 December 2013 at 10:04pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 205 of 331
30 December 2013 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
2.1 I had a pretty intensive language learning week. My main focus this 3-week
set is Turkish. I've recovered most (but not all) of what I had learned before, and am
now moving into new territory.

Français Team Triomphe

I finished Les revenants, which was fantastic, and tried to start Maison
close
. I had a hard time following the dialogue of Maison. I'll give it a second
chance, but I'm not sure that it's even a show I'd like.   

I'm also having mixed feelings about Voyage au but de la nuit. The first half
was a stunning condemnation of war, colonization, and industrialization. It's an angry
book, but angry about things that are worth being angry about. In the second half the
author extends his rage to everything. It's still a fascinating book, but my
empathy for the main character has plummeted. He's gone from being an innocent youth to
a nasty and misanthropic adult.

Español Team Lobo

I'm running out of patience with all the plot holes in Águila Roja! I want to like this
show, but the writing is too lazy for me & a lot of the mini-dramas way too
predictable. Five minutes in to episode 8 and I knew that 1) the servants were going
to lose the Marquessa's emeralds, that 2) there will be some wacky hijinks, and 3) they
will recover them at the last minute. Meanwhile, Red Eagle seems to be able to
magically appear and disappear at will, and no one knows who he is ... even though his
sidekick never wears a mask. Does anyone know if it gets better - or is this pretty
much the template for the rest of the show?

Türkçe Team Yürükler

FSI to Lesson 10, Assimil to Lesson 5. This week I finally feel like I'm diving into
the meat of Turkish. FSI has about 25 verbs in rotation at this point, & it's been
more rewarding than other programs that use a more limited vocabulary. So far it's been
a lot of repetition and simple substitution drills, so it's been easy to move through
at a steady pace.

Assimil's Le Turc has been a nice surprise, so far. I haven't really liked Assimil for
non Indo-European languages, and only bought this one because it's on sale. So far the
dialogues have a more relaxed feel than FSI, Pimsleur, or TY, so it provides a nice
contrast. It has also already introduced some concepts I haven't seen before. It works
for me, but I can't imagine how someone who is new to Turkish would handle so much info
right from the beginning.

I'll post some sample dialogues as soon as I get the chance.

Italiano - Team Italiano

Pimsleur I to Lesson 15. I was hoping that I would remember enough that I could jump
right into Pimsleur II, but that was hopeless. I've been doubling up instead on
Pimsleur I, doing one lesson on the way to work and one on the ride home. It's been
irritating. The first ten lessons were endless combinations of 'do you want to eat
something' and 'would you like to eat something.' The last five have been the same
sentences, but with numbers and time added in. I make a lot of mistakes, mostly
because I am so bored with it.

I liked Pimsleur Italian two years ago ... hopefully the love will kick back in! I
need to remind myself that this is just a warm-up, and that I'll start studying for
real in a few weeks.

ελληνικά - No action

Edited by kanewai on 30 December 2013 at 10:40pm

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 206 of 331
30 December 2013 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
If you need help with greek just ask.

Your notes on the turkish courses are very helpful.

Do you suppose that TY works better combined with assimil? On the other hand, you say that beginners may find the combination too much. I'll stick to TY for now, but I'll be following your interesting observations very closely.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3934 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 207 of 331
30 December 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

I'm running out of patience with all the plot holes in Águila Roja! I want to like this
show, but the writing is too lazy for me & a lot of the mini-dramas way too
predictable. Five minutes in to episode 8 and I knew that 1) the servants were going
to lose the Marquessa's emeralds, that 2) there will be some wacky hijinks, and 3) they
will recover them at the last minute. Meanwhile, Red Eagle seems to be able to
magically appear and disappear at will, and no one knows who he is ... even though his
sidekick never wears a mask. Does anyone know if it gets better - or is this pretty
much the template for the rest of the show?

Hmmm…this is disappointing. I was planning on watching Águila Roja once we're finished with Isabel season 2.
Now I'm rethinking that!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 208 of 331
31 December 2013 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
Do you suppose that TY works better combined with assimil? On the
other hand, you say that beginners may find the combination too much. I'll stick to TY
for now, but I'll be following your interesting observations very closely.
For
me, TY is a complete course, but it could use more audio and exercises.   I'd combine it
with something, though it's too early to tell if Assimil or FSI, or one of the textbooks
people have mentioned, is the better choice.

FSI is free, though, so I'd check that out first! I've been downloading the pdf's to an
old iPad, and that works great. I tried pdf's on the kindle, but it wasn't a good match.

This discussion contains 331 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version