Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 169 of 331
26 August 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Random late night thoughts ...

- When I show up at work tomorrow tired and red eyed, I am totally blaming
Kerrie. I started watching Águila Roja tonight, and only intended to
watch about twenty minutes - but once I started I had to finish the first episode.
Gonzalo de Montalvo is a poor teacher with an alter-ego: the ninja-esque Red Eagle, who
fights for justice in 16th Century Spain. I'm hooked.

I would say I'm sorry, but I'm not. :) It's always great to find something you really enjoy. Just be warned, it gets better. :D

I suggest stopping in the middle of an episode, when stuff starts to slow down for a minute, and writing down the time so you can come back to that spot. They like to leave you hanging at the end!

kanewai wrote:
- It's been interesting reading Les Misérables while watching the news on Syria
and Egypt. The news is so depressing (and so is Les Mis), but the book reminds me that
Europe had to go through many revolutions in the 19th Century, and that the struggles
for freedom in the Middle East aren't going to be won in a single decade.

- I've seen the musical, I have the soundtrack, and I read the book in English in high
school. I know how it all ends, and I was wondering if I'd even enjoy Les Misérables
given all that. I'm finally approaching the end - only 300 pages to go! - and the
answer is an unequivocal yes! The book is frustrating at times, but overall the
novel is phenomenal - the stage production is only a shadow of the book. And I loved
the musical.

I think you and your enthusiasm for French literature may be what pushes me in the direction of French rather than Italian for next year. I have actually never seen Les Misérables and don't know the story, so I may have to go watch it just see check it out. Is there a particular version you'd suggest? (Besides the original books? LOL)

I am seriously impressed with what you've accomplished with your French reading the last year. It is really amazing and inspiring. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 170 of 331
27 August 2013 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
More random notes

- I was hoping that Part V of Les Mis might be all action, but about 80 pages in Hugo
goes off on a long diversion about the history and symbolism of the Paris sewers. The
tangents kill me! I read an essay by Maris Vargas Llosa, The Temptation of the
Impossible
, that said that the tangents were the real purpose of Les Misérables,
and that the dramatic plot was just a trick Hugo used to get people to read his
philosophy. For myself, I hate these digressions. I'd like to read Notre
Dame
one day, but not if Hugo does the same thing there.

- The Perseus Digital Library has Latin
and Greek texts online, and you can click on any word to find the definition and full
declension. Now, I have been having trouble because so many of the tenses and cases
look the same to me. It turns out my books only pretend to give definite
answers, as the scholars themselves don't even agree.

Take this line: στέμματ᾽ ἔχων ἐν χερσὶν (stemmat' ekhon en khersin)

Perseus gives these probabilities for the declension of στέμματ (garland):

singular neutral dative     14.9%   
plural neutral vocative 21%      
plural neutral nominative 22.4%      
plural neutral accusative 26.5%      
dual neutral vocative     4.9%       
dual neutral nominative   5%       
dual neutral accusative 5.2%

And these for ἔχων (bear, carry, bring)

participle (singular present active)   83%
imperfect (3rd person plural)   2.6%
imperfect (1st person singular) 1.7%

The gist of the sentence is, 'he was carrying the garlands in his hands,' but beyond
that it all falls apart.

This is somewhat liberating. I don't see any point in memorizing Greek grammar if the
experts don't even agree.

Edited by kanewai on 27 August 2013 at 10:38pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 171 of 331
01 September 2013 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
@ Kerrie - My first recommendation would be to fly to London and see the musical! But
barring that (it would be a bit extravagant, I suppose), the trailer for the Hollywood
version looked pretty good, though I haven't seen it yet. I really think it helps to
know the story before you dive into the French. The book has Big Themes (love,
betrayal, redemption, the meaning of life, stuff like that), so knowing the basic plot
won't hurt.

- I woke up this morning (ok, afternoon) a bit hung over. I tried listening to my next
Pimsleur Japanese lesson, and I did not understand a single word. It took a good five
minutes before any of it came back. I'm reaching the point where I can't do this on my
commute anymore, so I either make it a 'real' language or I put it aside. I'll know in
a couple days if I'll be going to Tokyo or not this fall, so that will impact my
decision.

- I don't think I have the patience for the Listening-Reading method. It does help, but
I don't like re-reading a book's chapter two or three times - I'm too impatient to move
on. On top of that my mind tends to drift when I'm reading a good book. Just now, I
was listening / reading to Candide's adventures in Venice during Carnival. The novel
went in one direction (a dinner party with six deposed kings), but my mind went
in another (ooh, Carnival in Venice! Wouldn't that be fun. I want to go! ...
I'm easily distracted by shiny objects). With a physical book that's no problem. With
an audiobook it's a bit problematic.

Edited by kanewai on 01 September 2013 at 8:05am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 172 of 331
02 September 2013 at 2:27am | IP Logged 
I hated those parts of Les Mis too! I read it in Czech nearly ten years ago (and I consider trying the original) and I was skipping parts of them. 1 or 2 pages of this were usually ok, 3-5 sufferable, there rest had to be skipped :-D

Notre Dame is much easier to read (I think in any language compared to Les Mis) as there are no such tangents. Or perhaps there are but so few and small that I can't remember. I think you'll like it.

There are more authors who use the plot as bait to lure the innocent readers into the realm of education. Fowles does this and the diversions are not that bad (The French Lieutenant's Woman is mostly a lecture on the victorian society. The sad thing is I enjoyed the diversions more than the story.), Eco's Name of the Rose is the best example of joining an awesome story with fun education. I'd actually love to read him in original one day.

I'll need to read back on your log as I don't remember you learning Ancient Greek. It sounds fascinating! I was recently tempted by this old jewel during watching Caprica (Ancient Greek playing the Tauron language). But I still own some good sense residues and my wanderlust days are (hopefully) over.

And how do you like Candide? I've considered reading him but I never got the courage or an opportunity I couldn't miss.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 173 of 331
02 September 2013 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Candide is a trip. We read Voltaire in college, but there were so many rules (i.e., don't
use an English version as a crutch, try to understand words from context rather than
looking them up in a dictionary) that I don't think I got much out of him. Now? I'm
amazed at how raunchy and obscene Candide is. I'm not sure how I missed this in school!
It's only 100 pages, so it's a good classic to attempt.

I would love to read Umberto Eco in Italian. One day, I hope. And I'm glad to hear that
Notre Dame is an easier read than Les Mis!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 174 of 331
07 September 2013 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
Every time I make a study plan, life comes along and knocks it around.

Last week, I put Japanese aside. It was taking too much mental energy, and I wasn't
ready for a long term commitment. And it was kind of pleasant to return to focusing
more heavily on just French and Greek. I found a nice balance, and I had a good plan
to reintegrate Spanish soon.

And then. This afternoon my ex - a sushi chef - called about going to Tokyo over
Thanksgiving. Neither of us has ever been, and tickets have dropped below $700. I
can't pass that up. And so, Nihhon-ga is back on.   And my language study is going to
get chaotic again.

Japanese - It's getting too hard to do Japanese while
commuting, so I'll need to set aside real time to work on it. I have modest goals (I
hope they're modest) - learn the kana, and be able to speak proper tourist Japanese
with a nice accent. My plan this weekend is to copy out the first level of Pimsleur in
katakana or hiragana. I know the stroke order, but it will still be slow.

French - I only have eighty pages left to finish Les
Mis!!! Most of the conflicts have been resolved, though there is still one villain
lurking in the shadows & I'm sure he'll make a final appearance. I also started FSI
again, and I do enjoy it, in a way. It really helps with listening comprehension, which
is my weak point. I'm on Chapter XX our of XXIV, and I had hoped to finish it by the
end of the year. Now, with Japanese back in the mix, I'm not so sure.

ελληνικά - Like Cavesa wrote, Ancient Greek really does
feel like a jewel that I am slowly uncovering. Pharr has been a great tool. The
exercises take the Iliad and translate it into relatively straight prose, and then give
you the poetic Homeric version. For the first time I'm appreciating Homer as a writer
- the heroes seem so much larger than life, and the imagery so much more vivid, in the
original.

Spanish - I've been watching Águila Roja when I have free
time, so I'm not totally neglecting Spanish.

Middle English - I don't know if this counts as a foreign
language, but I'm going to start logging it. I bought a copy of the Riverside Chaucer
years ago but never read it, and I have good recordings of the Prologue, Knight's Tale,
and Shipman's Tale. I'm going to read them L-R style, which should be sufficient to get
the sense and style of Middle English. I'll be doing this randomly, though one day I
would like to progress backwards then forwards - i.e., Middle English > Old English
(just for Beowulf!) > Modern German.

Edited by kanewai on 07 September 2013 at 3:54am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5345 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 175 of 331
08 September 2013 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
Yes indeed, life does seem to be a little attention-seeking toddler at times, all too ready to pull at the trouser leg and shirttails of every new optimistic study plan we dare to draw up...but hey, Tokyo, under $700, Thanksgiving...it just sounds too good!

Incidentally, I heard an interesting exotic language being sung by a local band on Magic Island today, the crowd surrounded by the usual kids' bouncy castles, picnic tents, and onolicious aromas of local grinds that waft across from a dozen generously heaped charcoal grills. I couldn't pinpoint the language despite my best efforts, so I decided to go up and ask what language everyone was chatting away in...and it turns out it was Marshallese (and this is the first time I ever heard it in person!). As I recall that you speak a closely related language to Marshallese, I thought I'd share the moment. :)

Edited by Teango on 08 September 2013 at 5:52am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 176 of 331
08 September 2013 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
$635 on United, brah - take it if you can!!!

And what a nice moment. Funny, I had a similar one this morning with Kosraean at the Ala
Wai Park. I knew it was probably some kind of Micronesian language (as if those colored
skirts and the piles of grilled chicken wouldn't give it away), but I could not place it
at all, and I finally went up and asked.

This discussion contains 331 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version