1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 73 of 331
30 April 2012 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
I've been back a week, and have been using Assimil Using French and Jules Verne
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea to keep my French moving forward. I also started
listing to RFI again.

They've all become much easier, which is interesting. I'm sure that I only used basic
sentence constructions while overseas, and probably only simple tenses. And yet my
comprehension of more complex written French seems to have made a huge leap. I can
understand a lot of the Assimil even before I look at the English text, and I can infer
a lot of the vocabulary in Jules Verne now from context, without using the dictionary.

This feels like <B1> to me! Next stop: B2. This one is going to be harder, as I don't
think it's possible for me to reach that level without actively using the language.
There are also going to be fewer and fewer guided resources out there. I'll have to get
creative.

But first, I have Assimil and - maybe - FSI Volume 2 to finish.

And I'm fighting the urge to start Japanese. Or to restart Spanish. My life is pretty
busy right now, and I need to focus on doing one language right.

1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 74 of 331
01 May 2012 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
You should think about doing the Super Challenge that Cristina has organized. It would be great motivation for your French. :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 75 of 331
01 May 2012 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
I'm slowly making my way through the Super Challenge thread. At 48 pages, it might take
awhile.

100 actual books in 20 months is completely unrealistic for me, and everyone's wordpress
blogs look great but I can't even figure out how to install wordpress - I hope this all
gets explained in the thread (I'm on page 19 already).

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 76 of 331
01 May 2012 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
If it's too much, you can sign up for a half challenge instead (either 100 books OR 100 movies OR 50/50 each). The "rules" are on the first page, but it seems to me rather flexible. The idea is exposure and to push yourself to do more.

I don't have a wordpress blog either - I don't think you have to install anything though. You can either keep track of it all in your log here, and/or you can do it on twitter.

If you have specific questions, I might be able to help. =)

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 77 of 331
03 May 2012 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
I signed up, and put my lists on Just Paste It.
I'm a list maker anyways, so that site fits my style!

I haven't really decided how to break it up, though; I think I'll add comments on books
and movies here, just keep the list as a straight check-list, and touch base with the
Super Challenge thread as needed.

With that ... I already have some movie reivews!

Garçon Stupide - I thought it would be a silly comedy, but it turned out to be a
cinema-verité style drama about a young kid living an empty life full of casual sex and
the older man who teaches him about deeper values. I was bored within the first ten
minutes, and stopped watching.

Hollywoo - This was the first French comedy I've seen in awhile that was
actually funny. A Parisian voice actor loses her job when the American actress whom she
dubs over quites the business. She flies to LA to convince the American to act again. I
saw it on the plane, and really enjoyed it. There was nothing deep; it was more a fish
out of water story as the Parisian chick tries to navigate the artificial world of
Hollywood. I can't find it on Netflix yet, so I don't know when it will come to the
US. Watch it if you get the chance!

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 78 of 331
09 May 2012 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
I finally caved and joined twitter. Damn you Super Challenge! Though I have doubts
about how useful it will be ... one person already posted 27 films by the eighth day,
which seems a bit far fetched to me. I like coming here better and seeing what people
actually thought about what they watched.

Earlier this week I caught a glimpse of what the next level of French might look like -
the level where one would move beyond simply communicating needs, and move into playing
with and manipulating the language. It was triggered by Flaubert; I love the way he
writes, even though it is difficult for me at this stage.

But it was only a glimpse; soon it was back to the grind of solidifying my B-1 skills.
That alone will take a couple hundred hours, I think.

Assimil Using French got irritating this week (Chaps 36-42). It started off
fine, but then there were two chapters on idioms with the verb "faire," one on
acronmyms, and one on metaphors.

The metaphor chapter in particular was poorly written - there were too many mixed
metaphors that made no sense in English, the English translations themselves were
archaic, and the footnotes strange and clunky. e.g., one read: "un sigle is
translated by the rather pompous English word, an acronym."   'Acronym' seems like a
fine word to me, while writing 'rather pompous' is ... rather pompous.

I don't trust Assimil with slang, and so I wasn't motivated to focus to hard on these
lessons. Or even to stay awake long enough to finish one. It was slow going.

On the plus side, I tried watching Game of Thrones in French (Le Trône de fer).
I usually hate movies that are dubbed into English, but the reverse didn't bother me at
all. I've been wanting to watch the series, and I liked it a lot in French.   It helped
that fantasy dialogue tends to be straightforward; while I still used subtitles I felt
that I was understanding most of the French independently. This doesn't happen yet with
native movies.

Edited by kanewai on 10 May 2012 at 10:32pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 79 of 331
10 May 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged 
I just tried to do a lesson from FSI Chapter 15. And failed. Sigh. I thought I could
pick up from where I left off, or that it would be easy with all the additional work
under my belt.

I suppose it's good that I still have @ 100 hours worth of study material here, though,
to help with the long climb to B-2.

I read somewhere on here that almost no one finished the second level of FSI. That alone
is motivation for me to try! Though right now I'm finding Assimil and the Super
Challenge challenging enough. FSI is something that I'll get back to, maybe this summer,
maybe further on.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4678 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 80 of 331
16 May 2012 at 4:25am | IP Logged 
I've started thinking of this as 'French Round 3' for me. Round 1 was two years at the University. Round 2 was reaching B-1 over the past year. And now Round 3, where I aim to go from B1 to B2 ...

French Round 3, Week 4: Where I get jumped by the plus-que-parfait du subjonctif

The what? you ask. Isn't that one of those tenses in the back of the book that our professors told us that we would never, ever, have to use?   Well. Something has escaped from the back of the book. Witness this paragraph from Madame Bovary:

Elle se demandait s'il n'y aurait pas eu moyen, par d'autres combinaisons du hasard, de rencontrer un autre homme; et elle cherchait à imaginer quels eussent été ces événements non survenus, cette vie différente, ce mari qu'elle ne connaissait pas*.

There's not a single simple tense in there. The 'literary tenses' are beautiful, but it's hard to take it all in at this point - I hit critical mass and all the tenses I had ever learned suddenly merged into a big pile of mush in my brain. I need to do more than just read and assimilate things; I need to set my ass down and do a touch of good old-fashioned studying. My first step will be to make a complete conjugation reference sheet of the top 20 verbs.

I should be finishing Assimil in a few weeks, and I'm looking ahead to what to do next. The Super Challenge is great, but I want something structured to work with also. I've narrowed my choices down to three, mostly based on other posts in HTLAL ... has anyone had any experience with any of them?

French Grammar in Context

Grammaire progressive du Francais / niveau avance

L'exercisier - Manuel d'expression Francaise: CECR B1-B2

(*My take: She asked herself if there might have been another way, by another combination of chance, to have met another man; and she dreamt of events that never happened, the different life, the husband that she never knew.)

Edited by kanewai on 16 May 2012 at 4:29am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 331 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version