Canada
microsnout.wordpress
Joined 5261 days ago

277 posts - 553 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 81 of 331
16 May 2012 at 5:56am | IP Logged 
Interesting. In 5 years I have never come across the "Plus-que-parfait du subjonctif". I had not even noticed that it
was there in the drop down list of tenses in my dictionary app - but it is. Guess I don't read enough (any ?)
literature, hopefully the Super Challenge will fix that.

kanewai wrote:
There's not a single simple tense in there.

There are 3 verbs conjugated in a simple tense in that phrase since L'imparfait is a simple tense (i.e. not a compound tense).

Edited by microsnout on 16 May 2012 at 6:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5124 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 82 of 331
16 May 2012 at 6:53am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
   Witness this paragraph from Madame Bovary:

Elle se demandait s'il n'y aurait pas eu moyen, par d'autres combinaisons du hasard, de rencontrer un autre homme; et elle cherchait à imaginer quels eussent été ces événements non survenus, cette vie différente, ce mari qu'elle ne connaissait pas*.

You just reminded me of why I have started on Mme. Bovary a number of times, but never got beyond page 50 :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 83 of 331
16 May 2012 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
You just reminded me of why I have started on Mme. Bovary a number of times, but never got beyond page 50 :-)

There's a parallel text on Amazon that alternates English / French each paragraph. The English is pretty clunky, but it helps a lot - I don't think I'd be able to read at this level without it as a reference.    

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5124 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 84 of 331
16 May 2012 at 8:21am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
You just reminded me of why I have started on Mme. Bovary
a number of times, but never got beyond page 50 :-)

There's a parallel text on Amazon that alternates English / French each paragraph. The English is pretty
clunky, but it helps a lot - I don't think I'd be able to read at this level without it as a reference.    

It's not the language I am worried about. It's the content. I find it difficult to feel any sympathy for the
heroine. Of course if I had read on I might like her better.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 16 May 2012 at 8:22am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 85 of 331
21 May 2012 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
microsnout wrote:
kanewai wrote:
There's not a single simple tense in there.

There are 3 verbs conjugated in a simple tense in that phrase since L'imparfait is a
simple tense (i.e. not a compound tense).

That was sloppy English on my part. I meant 'simple' as in sentences with one easy
clause, as opposes to 'simple' vs. 'compound.'

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I find it difficult to feel any sympathy for the
heroine. Of course if I had read on I might like her better.

Maybe not. I can fully understand her as the farm girl dreaming of a more exciting
life in Paris - but by the end of Book 1 she was turning nasty, spending all her time
reading fashion magazines and taking out her frustrations on her husband. There are no
characters yet who I "like" per se, but I'm still finding it a compelling read.

There's actually a bit of comic relief in the second book, when starts off in a hotel
full of eccentric characters.

-------------------------------

I finished one more section of Assimil this weekend. The readings focused on the
passé antérieur, which the course insists is the last grammar point that they
will be teaching. I hope so.   I usually can do a set of seven lessons per week with
Assimil. This last set took me almost two weeks!

-------------------------------

And I broke down and started Japanese also this weekend. It is a completely irrational
move. I don't have the time to commit to it, but now that I've started strong (two
Pimsleur lessons and eight Michel Thomas lessons) I'd hate to stop. I'm telling myself
I'll keep it slow and steady, and just plod along until I have time to dedicate to it.

This didn't work for me for Arabic, so I'm not sure why I think it will for Japanese.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5185 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 86 of 331
21 May 2012 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

And I broke down and started Japanese also this weekend. It is a completely irrational
move. I don't have the time to commit to it, but now that I've started strong (two
Pimsleur lessons and eight Michel Thomas lessons) I'd hate to stop. I'm telling myself
I'll keep it slow and steady, and just plod along until I have time to dedicate to it.

Go for it! I can't find enough time for all my own languages, so I am going to live vicariously through you. :D

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 87 of 331
22 May 2012 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
The more I learn, the more I realize just how far I have to go.

I thought that I'd be able to put my French books aside in December 2011 and just
cruise: I could listen to podcasts and radio shows, and read native language books, and
watch movies, and learn that way.

Five months on, and I think: maybe I can reach that point by the end of this Summer.
Maybe.

I started listening to RFI Journal en français facile again, and I finally
understand enough for it to be a useful. I'll try (once more) to make it part of my
morning routine.

My Challenge movie this week has been La cage aux folles. I've been alternating
between using English and French subtitles, and watching a lot of scenes twice. It's a
great movie for this - the two leads are great actors, and the dialogue is fun. It's
enjoyable to re-watch the scenes. This is the first movie of the Challenge where I
felt this.

I have ambiguous feelings about the movie itself. I watched it in the late 1980's, and
it already felt like an artifact from a lost world. My world was Act Up and Queer
Nation and defying authority; I could not relate to Laurent (the spineless son), much
less to two aging queens in St. Tropez and their sassy black houseboy.

Twenty years on, and I still think that the son needed a good slap, and should have
been sent to his room and had his allowance cut off for even suggesting that his
fathers act straight for a night. But then there wouldn't have been a movie, and my
politics have mellowed enough that I can enjoy the great acting and rapport between the
two leads & mostly ignore the nonsense.

Meanwhile ... in literature land ... the Bovaries have moved to Yonville (which seems
like a French version of Green Acres), Madame Bovary just got knocked up, and she has
met a flirty clerk who also dreams of Paris. The plot is finally picking up some speed.

On deck, I ordered
French
Grammar in Context
for when I finish Assimil.

And I'm moving quickly on the Japanese - I'll be doing a lot of commuting this week,
and it's nice to have an audio course to do for the drive. It'll be a challenge keeping
it up once my schedule settles down and I go back to biking ... hopefully I'll be over
the first language-learning hump by then.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 

Message 88 of 331
29 May 2012 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
French

I'm up to Lesson 54 of Using French, and Assimil has finally gotten real. As in: the lessons are now interesting in their own right, as opposed to just being interesting for a language book. The highlight this last week was the selection from Les Misérables of Gavroche at the barricade.   Too bad there's only 14 lessons to go; I would be willing to continue with an Assimil 3!

I'm about 1/3 of the way through Madame Bovary for the Challenge. She's not very sympa at this point of the novel - she knocks her crying baby away from her, and then marvels at how ugly the kid is. C'est une chose étranbe, pensait Emma, comme c'est enfant est laide!

I can see why the book was scandalous in it's day. And I can't imagine this scene will make it into the coming movie - Hollywood doesn't like such things.

I also imported some Anki decks. I've tried Anki before, but felt that I was spending more time getting creating my decks than actually studying, and I always fetl behind. But the main thing slowing down my reading is vocabulary, so it's time to work on that. I imported three: 1000 Most Common French Words, 5700 Common French Words, and Intermediate French. The first two have been too simple so far: I keep getting real basic words, like tu and vous and qui. The third has a lot of words with similar definitions (two words in a row for "to resign," two for "to annoy," and four or five versions of "to carry" or "to bring back." (rapporter, apporter, emporter, amener, and ramener all showed up at once, and I couldn't keep any of 'em straight).

Kindle Touch

My Kindle Touch also arrived this weekend, and it's such a pleasure to use - it's a big jump up from the previous kindle I had. I like that I can adjust the fonts more freely, I like that it's lighter, and it is much easier to look up words by touch than by toggling. Other positives: It seems to handle the French/English dictionary better (it doesn't get as confused by contrations), and it's easier to organize your books into 'collections'.

I haven't used the x-ray feature yet, or the "share" feature where you can highlight text and send it over the net.   

The only real con is that the dictionary feature gives you definitions in a big box that blocks out whole paragraphs. The old kindle would give a brief definition at the bottom of the page, so you could still see how the word looked in context.

Overall, my reading speed has definitely increased - mostly from not having to toggle, and being able to manipulate the text so that I can get more paragraphs on one page.

This comes with a free month of Amazon Prime. From what I can tell, it's not worth the price. You can 'borrow' one book a month, but most of the books I found were kinda trashy serial-killer mysteries, bodice-ripping romances, teen-vampire dramas, and other genre novels. The few books I found that I would want to borrow were selling for $1.99. I can't figure why I'd pay $79 a year to get 12 free $2 books.

Except ... Harry Potter in translation is coming out mid-June on Prime. That might make it worthwhile! I'll hold out.

Japanese

I ended up carpooling a lot this weekend, so I had less alone-time in my car to listen to my recordings. Still, I'm past the point of no-return: I've invested enough hours into Japanese that I'd hate to drop it.

Not that I'm that far along: 8 lessons of Pimsleur and the first two hours of Michel Thomas (I listen to the MT lessons multiple times). Pimsleur is definitley the more frustating of the two; at times I feel like I'm just mimicing sounds and syllables without any real understanding of why. So for example, I know when to say ikagasamade without really knowing why I'm saying it.

The MT teacher (Helen Gilhooly?) has a pleasant voice and manner, so it's been more enjoyable. I'm also making more connections with the MT tapes. Some of the grammar constructions remind me of Hawaiian "pidgen," and I've seen similar word order and counting methods in Micronesian. I am secretly hoping that I'll have an easier time with Japanese than mainland Americans, and that I might even be able to read manga ... but we'll see.   For now, I'll finish the courses that I have, and then maybe move on to Assimil.

Edited by kanewai on 29 May 2012 at 10:35pm

This discussion contains 331 messages over 42 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version