Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4844 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 265 of 464
11 April 2014 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Then they also mention soft adjectives and possessive adjectives as ending in - их.

So what am I missing here? If плохой becomes плохих, then молодой should become молодих!

кы, гы, хы are (used to be, actually) unpronouncible for Russians, instead they pronounce and write ки, ги, хи.
So, плохых cannot exist in Russian. But д can be followed by both sounds ы and и and the appropriate letter is spelt. Here there is no reason why we would have и here.
ш and ж are hard, thus the are always followed by the sound ы, so phonetically it is [бальшых], but due to historical reasons the letter и is spelt after them, that's a spelling rule.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 266 of 464
11 April 2014 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
Could the Russians on the forum tell us about how Russian Easter is celebrated? I would absolutely love if
we could get some cultural insight, and not just grammar. Perhaps the rest of us could do the same, so that
we get a little insight in each others's cultures as well?

Easter is my favorite holiday, and I think Norwegians have the longest Easter holiday. It starts today, and we
are not back at work until Tuesday in 10 days. And unlike Christmas, which is heart attack inducing, with
Christmas cards, presents, homemade cookies, complicated food, cleaning and visiting all the relatives you
actively try to avoid all year, Easter is all about eating marzipan, seeing the ones you actually want to see and
reading and watching crime stories. The typical thing to do is to go to their skiing cabin in the mountains, for
those who have one (which are a lot) or go to the Canary Islands for those who can afford it. At that time of
the year we are literally desperate about getting some sunshine and some vitamins D. About half of the
population stay at home, for financial reasons, or because they just like to be at home. But the skiing/going to
a warm country is so common that when I told a friend a few years ago that we were going to Ukraine (which
we did three years in a row) her immediate reaction was "Can you DO that?

Food wise we eat lots of eggs for breakfast, and those who invite friends over for a party tend to serve lamb.
And of course we decorate everything in yellow and with hens, chickens and painted eggs. I have collected a
few from Eastern Europe that I use to decorate my table. In principle Easter is the most important religious
holiday in the Protestant church, but since we are generally not a very religious people, few go. The only
reason I have attended services at Easter was because I was elected to be president of the church council,
and it would look really bad not to attend. My personal Easter tradition is to prune my roses, and then of
course there is the marzipan and the crime stories I mentioned earlier :-) I have celebrated Easter/Passover
in Spain, Israel, Poland and Ukraine, and I love both the Jewish, the Catholic and the Greek Orthodox
traditions.

So, what can the other members here tell me about their Easter traditions, and what can our Russians tell us.
And Mark, I want details :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4503 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 267 of 464
11 April 2014 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Yes, it's kind of what I said before.

Here is the excerpt from Penguin:

I hope it helps! =)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 268 of 464
13 April 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
While I am waiting for you all - and in particular our Russian friends - tell us about Easter celebrations in your
country, I thought I would link to another important bit of Russian culture. I am actually not particularly fond of
ballet, I am more of an action person, but this particular piece from the Swan lake is so incredibly beautiful,
and short enough for my limited attention span. Just beware of the applause which starts 30 seconds before
the end. It puts the T in thundering.

The Dying Swan

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 13 April 2014 at 9:29pm

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4146 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 269 of 464
14 April 2014 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
Is it possible for me to be an observer for now? I will still complete any challenge I can, if that's ok. But, I've been a de facto observer for some time, I think.

Cristina, Easter is the most beautiful time in Greece, with the spring and the holidays and all the customs. All the families get together, and in mass you can hear the most beautiful hymns of the greek othodox church. Even non religious people enjoy this time of year. It's all about family. And food, after 40 days of fasting that only elderly ladies observe. Most people only fast for the week before Easter Sunday, and then spend that particular day around a table, with music and fun and realtives or friends. I have the best memories of my childhood from Easter gatherings. Also, the night of the resurrection is pretty magical, with candles and hymns in the sweet spring night... if you survive the battle that is. Because the moment the priest says the words, fireworks begin exploding everywhere. Not the best custom in the world, as it scares most people and kids.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 14 April 2014 at 11:31pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4632 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 270 of 464
15 April 2014 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Yes, sure, I can downgrade you, renaissancemedi. I'm sorry to hear a lot of people are having a hard time with their language studies. Well, I'm in no position to complain, but it's a pity nevertheless.

Anyway, it's generally not necessary to downgrade to an observer status only because you can't dedicate all your time to language studies. A lot of people who are full members don't update their logs regularly and that's the only requirement for being in a TAC team.

Nevertheless, they are full members of the team and it's okay. I'm taking a break from languages right now, but that doesn't mean I'm withdrawing from my teams. I'm sure the language bug will sting me again sooner or later and then I'll be glad to be in a team.

Well, be that as it may, if you think being a full member puts too much pressure on you, I can surely downgrade you. But I would once more like to stress that everybody is entitled to do as much studying as they are able to and as they want to. We don't put anybody under pressure!

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4146 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 271 of 464
15 April 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Josquin! Ok, then, I'll be an observer but I'll participate as much as I can. Hopefully I'll return as a full member in the following months!

Edited by renaissancemedi on 15 April 2014 at 12:48pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 272 of 464
29 April 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
I noticed that some of the other teams gave their members a one week extension with the challenges
because of the Easter meltdown at the forum. Is that something we should consider too? Anyhow, here is my
contributions:

CRISTINA'S APRIL CHALLENGES

САНКТ ПЕТЕРБУРГ

Это мой любимый город. Он такой красивый и в нём есть много замечательных зданий. Я очень
люблю Зимний дворец и Невский проспект.

Я тоже очень люблю Храм Спаса-на-Крови. Это красивая церковь в центре Петербурга.

В городе есть много мостов и каналов. Очень приятно кататься на корабле, особенно ночью, потому
что в Петербурге красивые белые ночи.

В первый раз, когда я была в Петербурге, было очень холодно, минус 17 градусов, но всё равно
было красиво. В последний раз когда я там была, было тепло и хорошо.

Мы ели пельмени и борщ и видели прекрасные сады. Мы познакомились с приятной русской парой,
и всю неделю мы были вместе с ними.

Я хочу скоро вернуться в Петербург!

МОЮ ЛУЧШУЮ ПОДРУГУ

Мою лучшую подругу зовут Анна Катрина. Она блондинка и ей сорок семь лет. Мы встретились в
университете. Она очень весёлая и щедрая. У неё два сына и она очень хорошая мать. Ей нравится
изучать иностранные языки.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 29 April 2014 at 11:53pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 464 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version