Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 457 of 464
25 December 2014 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your summaries and the contributions to the Christmas Challenge! I'll do the wrap-up of this thread
after Christmas.

S Rozhdestvom! (I can't type Cyrillic on my tablet.)
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 458 of 464
27 December 2014 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Hi, here is my

End of the year
summary - Cristina

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 459 of 464
31 December 2014 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Okay, the Christmas Challenge was completed by chokofingrz, Solfrid Cristin, and myself. I awarded each of us a Medal of Honour.

Also, I got summaries from geoffw, Teango, Expugnator, Woodsei, YnEoS, Solfrid Cristin, fabriciocarraro, and myself again. The rest of the team obviously didn't make it till the end of the TAC and won't be taken into account for the voting of the TAC winners.

To all of you: It was a great year and I very much enjoyed leading this team. I hope to see a lot of you on Team Pushkin!

С Новым годом!

Edited by Josquin on 02 January 2015 at 5:50pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 460 of 464
31 December 2014 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Dear captain, I'm not sure how the voting works, but I was wondering if the it wouldn't
account for the percentage of failures x successes. If we only allow the votes to take
into account those who succeeded, then we're making it easy on ourselves. I don't know,
how is this supposed to be evaluated?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 461 of 464
31 December 2014 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
I honestly don't understand your question. People can vote for the best team of the TAC, but only those members
who made it to the end of the year and supplied a summary will be declared winners. I think that's how it works. It
has nothing to do with percentage or whatsoever.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 462 of 464
31 December 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Well, I thought one of the chriteria to choose the best team would be the turnover ratio.
SO, for example, if there was a team where 13 out of the original 15 people remained
active throughout the year then it is excelling at this chriterium.

Now, you're right about only the ones having made it to the end deserving to be declared
winners, for sure.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4603 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 463 of 464
31 December 2014 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
No, the ratio isn't a criterion at all. All that counts is people's votes. I looked it up in the last voting thread.

Edited by Josquin on 31 December 2014 at 6:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4985 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 464 of 464
10 January 2015 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
This is my first summary for the last year, and the only one where I go over my (minimal) Russian progress. Since the rest of my posts will be dealing with other languages, general reflections and plans for 2015, deciding to TeamTAC or not to TeamTAC, etc. I'll reproduce the relevant parts here, if it's still of any use:

[...]
In short: no study, yet some progress
[...]
- Native speakers I'd really like to talk to (i.e. my friends) are far and away: the Vasilievs ('my' Russian family) moved to another city exactly one year ago, and while most of my old Ukrainian and Russian friends (Sasha the grocer and co.) are back in town on the coast, my family moved here to the city meanwhile, so I rarely go there any more, nor will do in the immediate future.

However strange it may sound, though, I have made some progress, even if I only have anecdotal evidence for it...
[...]
Some two or three weeks ago I was checking through my video collection, in which there was a 'Filmi (ru)' entry that had been lying there for years (3+). I ended up firing up a movie called "Hishniki", which I vaguely recalled was a Russian knock-off of Predator, just for kicks. It was actually "Predators" dubbed into Russian, and while not being heavy with dialogue, I sat through it and I actually understood way more than I could ever have thought possible. So YESSSSSSSSSSSSS! I am impressed with myself :D
[...]
but given that I don't believe in magic, I'd attribute my little "feat" to the simple fact that, for years, I kept a lot of stuff I learned over the years "bouncing in my head".
[...]

Happy 2015 everyone!

This discussion contains 464 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version