if the history went the other way there'd be no Russians and Russian
language by now.
I'm not saying you should celebrate it, but congratulations aren't
doing anything bad to anyone.
For me 9h of May is the day when the greatest threat to the very idea
of Russia was finally eliminated. It has nothing to do with our
government's actions.
P.S. Спасибо, QiuJP.

I understand how you feel, but given that on this forum we have people from different sides of that particular conflict, that we all have a right not to be constantly reminded of it, and that this conflict was almost 70 years ago, I think we should think long and hard before we drag political issues into the forum. It may not feel like a political issue to you, but it is. Let it be.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 290 of 464
09 May 2014 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
I understand your point of view, Via Diva. Sorry if I came across a bit heated, but I'm really worried about what's happening in Ukraine right now, so this probably affected my perception of the situation a lot.

I understand that Putin's way of acting doesn't necessarily represent the way Russian people feel and think, so thank you for sharing your point of view with us. German politicians used to take part in the celebration of Victory Day, but I guess this year everything's different.

Let's just hope the situation will get better and the crisis will be solved, so politics will never again affect the relationship between our peoples negatively. As I said, if there's one thing we should have learned from history, it's that peace and freedom are the most valuable gifts that exist.

Edited by Josquin on 09 May 2014 at 6:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4837 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 291 of 464
09 May 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
If you say "Merry Christmas", does it offend all non-Christians?
We celebrate the Victory Day, it's a part of our culture, if you want to learn about it, you have to take this fact into account.
It has nothing to do with modern Germany and Germans. We have always celebrated the victory over the Third Reich, not modern Germany. If you don't feel connected with the Third Reich, you shouldn't be angry about the Victory Day.
And it IS DEMOCRATIC to celebrate the holyday and to have a parade because the absolute majority of Russians support it, even those who are against Putin, like Via Diva.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 292 of 464
09 May 2014 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
In the US, "Merry Christmas" has widely been replaced by "Season's Greetings" in order not to offend non-Christians, so I can't give a definite answer to your first question.

However, my criticism was directed towards the way Victory Day is instrumentalized by the Russian government. I didn't feel offended by the celebration of Victory Day in past years, but the climate has notably changed by the events in Crimea and Ukraine.

For my part, I don't feel any affiliation whatsoever with the ideology of the Third Reich, but this dark chapter will always be part of German history and identity. So, there has to be a sensible and sensitive dealing with the past. However, the problems arise when the Day of Victory over Nazi-Germany is instrumentalized for justifying nationalist politics of today.

Anyway, a full discussion of this topic would undoubtedly have nothing to do with language learning, so I will stop here. I didn't mean to offend any of our Russian members, but I am very unhappy with the way the Russian president is behaving right now. Using a historically important day like this one for selfish purposes is very insensitive and undiplomatic.

Edited by Josquin on 09 May 2014 at 9:22pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Rhian
France
Joined 6278 days ago

265 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Personal Language Map

Message 293 of 464
09 May 2014 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Okay, enough of the politics please. Let's get back to the original point of this thread.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 294 of 464
10 May 2014 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
For some strange reason, I keep using the verb жить that I perfectly well know means "to live" as in "I live in
France" when I want to say "went".

'Он жиль в Лонлон' (He went to London) which is not only grammatically wrong, as it would have been in the
prepositional case had it been in the verb's correct meaning, but it is also semantically totally wrong, as it
does not at all mean what I think/ want it to mean. So my question is, where do I get this from? Is it just some
weird cross wiring in my brain, or is it interference from any of my other languages? I can not for the life of e
recognize it from any other language. Can anyone help?
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4837 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 295 of 464
10 May 2014 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
Он жил в Лондоне. I can't answer your question.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 296 of 464
10 May 2014 at 12:13pm | IP Logged 
Maybe you're confusing жил and шёл?

This discussion contains 464 messages over 58 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version